What's up with potstickers?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Punki, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't eat pork so it is really a downer when all AS serves is pork. :(

They did offer me the opportunity to "buy" something else from coach. ????? Every other flight I have been on, including AS, where they offered something I couldn't eat, they also offered to scrounge up something else that I could eat. There are, BTW, no special order available.

Maybe they could stick with something boring, like humus, that at least most people could eat.

techguru likes this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    But many people don't like your other option, even though they "could" eat it. As you may have determined, the AS meal program is "hopefully you'll like what we have to serve you, but if you don't (or can't eat it), and you won't know until you get here, you'll starve unless you brought your own food." This has been the food program for several years now. I am surprised that at least on Transcon and Hawaii routes that they haven't reinstated at least a limited SPML program. They are selling the seats, and upgrades (on lower fares, or at all) are hard to come by.

I am not optimistic this situation will improve. I don't think they (high up the food chain, so to speak) care.

bakedpatato likes this.
  3. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    OMG I also love the potstickers- please don't change them AS. I just wished it was more then three- but works well for the later flights its served on.

And as you said hummus is boring- had it and although better then the shroomwitch, not much better.

ryandc99 and bakedpatato like this.
  4. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love potstickers but no special meals?

5. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what they told me, no more special meal orders. :(

Makes it hard for folks who can't eat pork, for whatever reason.

6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I understand you can't eat pork, but I always cringe when I see the hummus... It is too bland, boring, and not so appetizing for me.

AS simply needs to implement a special Meal Request program, which simply only offers a Vegetarian meal as the alternative... Since I don't think there is really a noticeable % of people who are allergic or not allowed to eat veggies...

7. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today they hummus and veggies so at least I had something to eat. :)

Yes, they should have a special order or stick with something like chicken that at least most people can eat. But, PORK?

sobore likes this.
  8. AKGUY
    Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pork is "the other white meat" and very tasty for the vast majority of travelers:D

ItsADryCold likes this.
  9. alphaeagle
    Original Member

alphaeagle Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought they were only OK. Would rather have a custom prepared peanut butter and jelly sandwich though. Am happy they served anything at all on the late night flights I had it on.

10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point since many religions forbid pork, yet chicken seems to be accepted by most.

Horse likes this.
  11. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ohhh, those kind of potstickers. I thought this was in reference to Dubai imprisoning a British citizen for having a speck of pot stuck to the bottom of his shoe :)

12. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Pork is a very poor choice for the general public.

The combination of the pork and the prayers reflects poorly on AS, although, in truth and in fact, the prayers are always Pslams which should really not be offensive to most religions. The combination does, however, give fuel to the ignorant.

13. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes and no. Chicken isn't kosher or halal just because it has a beak.

14. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

ItsADryCold Silver Member

Status Points:
    Uggh, really now, you need to get over this. I'm starting the countdown clock for someone to declare this nefarious business of potstickers and psalms on planes (oh my) to be some kind of anti-Semitic plot.

For the uninformed, hummus-induced hallitosis is a vile thing, made all the worse when people around you in an enclosed area (e.g. elevators, airplanes) suffer from it.

15. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh... no pb&j - that would be a very odd thing to serve in F.

alphaeagle likes this.
  16. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just as long as AS serves fish on Fridays ;)

ctporter and ItsADryCold like this.
  17. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know a lot of people at AS and I don't think it is a plot against Jews or Muslims or those Christian religions that forbid the consumption of pork. I just think it is very inconsiderate of a significant portion of the population.

18. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't eat dark meat of the chicken, and that is what is on those skewers, so I don't eat them when that is the snack. Some people don't like hummus. Some people don't like pork or beef, or whatever it is. As long as this airline doesn't give us a choice and doesn't provide SPMLs in F, there will always be an issue. I probably know at least as many people that don't eat beef as that don't eat pork. As far as people who don't eat a particular animal for religious purposes, it isn't just the animal, in some cases it is also how it is killed, and what part of the animal it comes from. Any animal flesh that isn't killed and processed kosher or halal might as well be pig on a platter, with respect to whether one who keeps kosher or halal would eat it.

I'm just saying that as long as AS has the meal policy it has in place, things aren't going to get better, as they have decided that they will only make a certain % of the people happy at any one time, and never make everyone happy. It is the business model they have clearly chosen, for better or worse. We can fly them and not complain, fly them and complain, not fly them and complain, or just not fly them and not complain. Everyone who doesn't eat what is served may consider them inconsiderate.

19. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since they don't offer any special meal selections, a simple solution would be to offer a coach meal to folks who can't eat pork.

20. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes it would be. But they have made it clear that they won't. Not even if you have spent a thousand dollars or more on your ticket. Snackbox? No. Cold cheeseburger after everyone has had the opportunity to buy one, if there are leftovers? Yes. And that is how it is, and how I think it will continue to be. Sad.

jackal likes this.