What's the stratergy on using suite upgrades?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Switch2, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there some sort of stratergy in using the suite upgrades? This year I tried 3 times to use my suite upgrade and each time i was told "not available on the dates" .. How do you guys do it? Is it good idea to call the diamond line first and find out if they can do it, then book?
    Please enlighten this poor soul.

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Wow. I've never been turned down for one. We're these requests all for the same property? Curious what property/properties you attempted to redeem at?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been turned down more than I have been successful. My 2012 upgrades will all expire.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    What properties?

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Waikiki, Kauai, and either Seoul or Taipei (not positive). I did get the upgrade in Berlin and Hamburg. All this last year.

The two upgrades I did get were the ones I cared most about as they were for rooms I gave my parents. Personally, I don't really care much about suites. So the fact that this year's upgrades will expire unused -- while probably causing many here to read this in horror -- doesn't bother me too much. In order to actually use them, I'd have needed a lot more Hyatt stays than I actually had in 2012. I am dropping to Platinum... and that only because of my UA Club card. Their locations just didn't work for me this year.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Some hotels have more suites than others. Sometimes hotels sell out of suites because they're given to conferences as part of their room block (usually as free upgrades when booking X number of rooms).

And certainly some hotels will give you much more impressive rooms for your suite upgrade than will others.

I have found the best luck when booking early, and have had challenges at times when booking close to travel. But that's not always the pattern.

So I've been denied suite upgrades requested a week or so out at a New York hotel. I've also seen suites open up even closer in, such as shortly before arrival, so it can be worth continually checking.

I tend to want to use my suite upgrades on longer stays. And on 'special' stays. There's going to be a ton of demand for suites at the Hawaii properties, lots of folks don't care about suites on their one-night stays, their business stays when they're alone, and want to redeem the suites with family.

I have confirmed suite upgrades coming at the Park Hyatts in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. I've used them at the Grand Hyatt Singapore and the Park Hyatt Aviara.

Sometimes the buyup to a suite is cheap enough I don't want to waste the cert, e.g. Hyatt in Bellevue I recall it being no more than $50. That's hardly outsized value that I'm getting for the cert (and the suite isn't all that impressive, but I did talk them into a gigantic suite when the first one assigned to me had sort of a musty smell.

Recently I had difficulty of all places at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco, booked 3 months out, I'm pretty sure all of the suites are being eaten up by a big convention on property while I'm there.

And not using suite upgrades but rather trying to use 50% more points on an award redemption, I managed a base room redemption at the Park Hyatt Vendome but there weren't any suites available and indeed as travel approached the hotel itself was completely sold out.

7. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great info, Gary. By the way, how was the Park Hyatt Aviara? Is it worth using a cert for it? Thinking of taking the family down for it...

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Suite at Aviara was ok, sort of a double room (separate living room), I find the furnishing dated though. So depends on your alternative uses for the certs..

9. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree the trick is using them as far in advance as possible when the suites are still available. As Gary mentioned, keep an eye open as the reservation nears as well. I ask what suite they typically upgrade to so that I can watch for availability of that specific room type.

I use them the most when my family is with me, but I have been known to use them on short stays for myself as well - mostly just to check out the suite. My husband and I have both now been Diamond for two years and have used all 16 of our combined suites upgrades during that time because we don't hold onto them and let them expire when we can make a short business stay a little more fun by having a nice room.

10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pointers. Is this how W would stratergize?