What's the secret behind 752/772 iPod connection?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Black Cloud, Jun 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone successfully "synced" their iPod/iPhone to CO's IFE system? Tried watching some Arrested Development on the big screen on a 752 over the weekend and the IFE wouldn't recognize it. I've attempted this a few other times and with no luck. The iPod charges, so there's definitely a connection being made.

The person sitting next to me also tried to sync his and couldn't get it to work, and I saw another person in the cabin try and fail as well.

Anyone have any ideas?

East_Yorker likes this.
  2. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming what you were trying is what I tried. We're both sensible people, so connecting your iPod through USB would make sense, right? Wrong. You have to have a Griffin eXport In-Flight Video Cable for iPod and iPhone , which attaches to that S-Video looking jack next to the screen. They sell it at store.apple.com and also in the duty free cart onboard. N.B. Not sure if this cable works with the iPad.

Don't know why nobody thought it would be a good idea to have this work via USB port.

Probably the single biggest drawback of this IFE system.

East_Yorker likes this.
  3. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, like rggale said, you actually need another connector for the output to work. On LX they have a few of the cables for F passengers and I was able to try it. It worked alright, until I was done and wanted to watch something stored in the IFE, then it crashed.

Flyer1976 and East_Yorker like this.
  4. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that would explain why it's never worked. :-:
    Thanks for clarifying.

East_Yorker likes this.
  5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that the issue lies with the iPod/iPad/iPhone DRM on video content. From memory, I don't believe you can export video over USB. Adaptors for VGA, HDMI, etc also exist.

theBOAT

East_Yorker likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the same explanation I've heard as well. FWIW, I've also heard that there is a device ID parameter that is part of the DRM system and that the iPads use a different series of IDs so the legacy cables do not work with them. Sucks.

East_Yorker likes this.
  7. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forward your complaints to Panasonic... and get them to do some work ;)

Off the top of my head, those that have integrated iPod connectivity have to use a non USB type cable (SQ comes to mind initally)

Of course, if it's another vendor (say Thales), then it's how they've implemented the read stack....

East_Yorker and bakedpatato like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    DRM? On video content? Why would I have that? ;)

9. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, its pretty much the usage of the analog hole; I don't think USB has HDCP or anything like it that guarantees a a fully secure path from storage to screen like HDMI .A USB connection would require that the iDevice would have to either stream or send a temp local copy of the video to the IFE unit and heavens knows what the Movie Studios think of that ;).
    :D:D
    Who buys video content from iTMS anyway? ;)

East_Yorker likes this.
  10. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not only do the Griffin cables not work with iPads, I have heard they also do not work with iPhone 4s. Something about a change Apple made along the way to the cabling setup.

My wife's older iPod synced up just fine, and I was able to play some Dr. Who episodes that I had ripped myself and loaded on to it during a TATL leg several months ago. So the system does work, it just seems that it is trapped into older generation iPods and iPhones. I would much rather have seen them go with something more universal like mini HDMI or something.

11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Despite the fact that iPhones, iPods, and iPads use what appears to be the same connector and cable, Apple has altered the way the connections work a few times over the years, rendering many third-party cables and accessory ports useless for newer devices.

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who knows. It just means that there are a lot of devices out there, not sold or supported by Apple, that work with one generation of device and not the next. Many of the clock radios you see in hotel rooms with iPod docks fall into this category.

13. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just bring a netbook and avoid the trouble...but then I'm oldschool like that

14. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    ? I have four generations of iPods and two generations of iPhones. The iPods can all use the same chargers and work on just about every dock I've tried (Ws, and Hyatts). The only issues I've had have been with the iPhone and docks.

15. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The chargers aren't the issue, except for the 4G phone that won't charge on some of the earlier chargers. However, as you said, you've had issues with the iPhone not working with some docks. It has also been an issue for the auto industry with in-dash controllers that have worked with some generations of iPod or iPhone but not all (and this is coming from multiple sources in the auto industry). It's not an enormous problem, but it does exist. Not every accessory or docking device out there works with every generation of device. Some do; others don't.