What's the point of the reward chart? Help a newb

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by waterloomarc, Feb 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. waterloomarc

waterloomarc Active Member

Status Points:
    I have racked up a decent amount of hhonors points which I was planning on using on a more grand vacation. However the reality of having a toddler has pushed that aside (I'm not willing to subject fellow passengers to 6 hours on a plane with my "angel") so I figure I need to just burn through my points now before they become worthless. I figured I'd throw in a few short, 3-4 nights, getaways here and there. Short enough where daughter can stay with grandma and I don't lose my shirt on airfare. Or close enough that the flight with my daughter wouldn't make others want to take up sky diving.

Anyway to my point... I was looking at the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau, a category 6 hotel. According to the rewards chart that ought to be 40,000 a night. When I pull it up for the 3rd week of March the rooms are all around 80k per night! What gives? What's the point of the reward chart then if hotels don't have to stick to it? I know they can charge more for "premium" rooms but every room available can't be a premium room. And hell I've been to Nassau plenty of times, there ain't anything premium about any of it ;)

Thanks for any insight you can give. I hope I'm in the tight forum.

Marc

iolaire, uggboy and Dublin_rfk like this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If standard rooms are sold out, every room available would be a premium room.

uggboy, Wandering Aramean and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. waterloomarc

Status Points:
    True I forgot about it being spring break too. I pushed my search out until May and they list 12 room categories none of them are 40k although the lowest is 47k so I guess it's cheaper....

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did a dummy-booking for the last week of March as a HH Diamond and got only "premium" room availability as you did, and even Diamond Force could not "force" availability of standard awards. It means that the property is not overbooked. It is simply flat out of standard awards, which is not surprising considering how high the room rates for revenue stays are...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    iolaire and uggboy like this.
  5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't "burn" them just to burn them. I'm sure there was some BS&T (Blood Sweat and Tears) involved in accumulating the points.

waterloomarc and uggboy like this.
  6. waterloomarc

Status Points:
    Haha. I actually did earn them the old fashioned way for these. A couple years of Hampton Inn stays in Podunk north Alabama ;)

I'm sitting on 340k that I was planning on going to Hawaii on. But as I said now I'm looking at alternatives. Really I've found the Hilton points more valuable just for roadside hotel freebies than I'm able to find for anywhere I'd actually want/be able to visit. This premium room thing is just kicking me wherever I turn.

iolaire likes this.