What's the point of mobile check in?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by TravelerRob, Aug 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't quite figure it out. The only benefit I can think of is a dedicated check in line at the hotel which you still need to stand in anyway. And every hotel I've been to that has mobile check in has no one working the line and/or is helping "normal" customers in that line as well. So it saves no time and offers no benefits. Anyone see this differently?

Also, you can only choose a check in time between 8a and 12 midnight. I'm arriving at a hotel tonight around 1:30am but I can't choose that time. Maybe I should have just booked my arrival for "tomorrow" and hoped for mega early check in?

-Rob

bigx0 likes this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree 100%. I tried it once. Check in took longer. I got a horrible room location.

3. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you know the property it works well. For example, I know exactly which room I want at a particular hotel I stay at often. I can select which room I want when I check in online. (Hilton properties). Supposedly they will offer a map "soon" to show available rooms so you know if you are near/far from elevator etc. For me, since I often arrive at night this is a good deal if I check in early when there are good choices. When I check in at places without a map it is a crap shoot as to whether or not I like the room :(

4. bkerea58

bkerea58 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have only used mobile check-in twice, most recently at the Calgary Marriott. There was nothing much involved in the process...just check-in and tell them what time you expect to arrive. Upon arrival, it was as TravelerRob said, no one was manning the line for mobile check-in. I actually thought I would go to some kiosk and my key would be dispensed to me and off I'd go! I had to wait in line and they still wanted to see my Id, ask a bunch of questions, etc.

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, Marriott doesn't do that. At least not yet. There still is no discernible advantage I can see for Marriott's mobile check-in.

6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm known as the most tech-savvy person at my workplace and I've never bothered with mobile check-in...

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What's worse is the first (and only) time I used mobile check-in was at a Tampa Marriott. I went to the big screen at the counter that said "Mobile Check In" and like an idiot tapped the screen three times before I realized it's not a kiosk at all...it's simply a big monitor that has pretty pictures with the words "Mobile Check In" underneath it. What in the world is the point of that thing?

I really believe Marriott has failed here. I'm sure they have plans to do something useful with OLCI but for right now it's utterly useless.

-Rob

8. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used it several times with Marriott and find it makes checking in somewhat faster, just because everything is ready to go before I arrive. Not every hotel is good about making keys before you arrive, and most Marriott properties seem to want to swipe your credit card, even if you are using the same card that the reservation was guaranteed with, if you use the traditional check in. Mobile check in eliminates the card swipe, and the keys are already made and ready to go. So, I do find that the time I spend with the front desk is a little shorter. It may only save a minute or two, but it does make it slightly quicker.

9. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to several properties with it. But I want to talk to the check in person and see if I've been given the maximum possible upgrade. Last thing I want to do is let the app just check me in. Even if there are not any significant upgrades available there's still sometimes a choice of floor, view, basic amenities. None of these things are available on the app.

So yeah, not much use at this time. Maybe it will get better.

10. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly why I won't use it either. I want the human interaction to make sure I have a shot at an upgrade or the concierge level or something else like a room not near the elevator, ice machine, etc.

-Rob

11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know this is a Marriott thread, but I was staying at the Hyatt SFO and went to use the mobile kiosk to check in as I had a long day of mileage running and an early morning flight to continue back home. I just wanted to sleep. Hyatt already had my info and payment but a desk clerk saw me using the kiosk and insisted I check in w her. Prob took 10-15 min to fully check in and I was annoyed in the process.

I know #firstworldproblems.