What's the point of Hyatt Platinum?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by sendaiben, Dec 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just had my first Hyatt stay in over two years :)

Grasping my newly minted Platinum status (thanks Milepoint) I checked into the mostly solid Hyatt Regency Fukuoka (review soon) and realised that Platinum does not seem to actually convey any benefits apart from a 15% bonus to points earned???

Seems to be a very poor cousin to SPG or Hilton mid-level status... or am I missing something?

Almost on a par with Priority Club :eek:

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a 5 stay status. Even then there is free internet, upgrades to preferred rooms, etc. I don't see where spg gold is much different, except with late checkout.

sendaiben and jbcarioca like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And Platinum has 2pm late checkout.

It's on par with SPG Gold:
    * Avoid the worst room in the hotel over the HVAC system
    * Free internet
    * late checkout (albeit not as late as SPG Gold)

And the modest 15% point bonus (compared to 50% w/ SPG)

kenbo, jbcarioca, Kalboz and 4 others like this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually used my new status twice last week. The two hyatts I stayed at way better than Hilton's I generally stay at.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough :D

Thanks for the perspective! To be honest, I did find the staff to be very good here, and the hotel is solid. Some kind of welcome gift/amenity/token snack would have been nice though (or bonus points).

I will need to do further research :)

jbcarioca and maradori like this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    And Platinum is easier to get with just a CC. AFAIK the only only card that gives instant SPG Gold is the AmEx Platinum.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, they had one every three stays but...OH NO!

jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to say that at the few Hyatts I've stayed at before and since becoming platinum, everyone treated me very well and I've been pleased with the rooms. I can't say that platinum made any difference, but I've enjoyed my stays.

kenbo and jbcarioca like this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free internet for Hyatt platinum saves you around 20 EUR a day in Europe and Asia- so it is not bad. I believe there is also an availability guarantee with platinum which is not a bad perk.

jbcarioca, Kalboz and anabolism like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be able to comment more factually after my upcoming stays at Grant Hyatt Taipei (the "Haunted House"), Park Hyatt Saigon and Grand Hyatt Jakarta over the coming month as a newly minted Hyatt Platinum, but looking at the Plat benefits summarized below, as well as at the full T&C, it does seem that it is "a very poor cousin" to HH Gold, as, unlike for Hyatt Diamonds, there is no possibility for exec lounge access or free breakfast even when "upgraded" to a room of higher value, which upgraded HH Golds get.
    Insofar as there are stated benefits, I will make sure that I get every one of them by asking. Free internet is always a big one for me so it is a good thing that it is included but I will push for a higher value room every time and see how high they'll go. As a HH Diamond, I no longer even bother asking for such things since they are automatic in Asia, but, to my surprise, I found out that there are no Hilton properties in Taipei, Saigon (Ho Chi Mihn City) and Jakarta, which is why I am even staying at these Hyatt properties. On the other hand, this will be a good opportunity to get a perspective about another, generally ranked very high, frequent guest loyalty program, and my new membership at the Platinum level is complimentary so maybe I should avoid looking this gift horse in the mouth too closely :D

In sum, I am looking forward to the change of pace...

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, I stayed there two years ago and enjoyed it. I had no status but was given a room on a nominal club floor but without club access. So, it was a nice room. A friend who is top-tier in Hyatt took me up to the club, which is just so-so. The hotel does have a pool that is long enough to swim laps in and even has lanes! They have multiple restaurants, ranging from expensive to super-expensive, with good food. Nice views of the Taipei 101 tower from my room.

jbcarioca, SuperKirby and NYCUA1K like this.
  12. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    as a secondary program for me- thanks MP premium!- I have used the 72 hr guarantee and bed choice guarantees to buy through room blocks for conventions, etc.

jbcarioca, Kalboz and SuperKirby like this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear that, and of no mention of things that go bump in the night...:p

jbcarioca and SuperKirby like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed my stay there last year. I did get club access as a Diamond and thought it was a nice lounge. The pool area is nice, too, to cool down after a day of sightseeing. That was in the summer, though.

15. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only learned of its supposed reputation for being haunted after I stayed there :)

16. DCBob

DCBob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not exactly correct. SPG Golds get free internet as one of three choices - it's not automatic as it is for both Hyatt and SPG Platinums. SPG Golds CHOOSE between:

1. Bonus Starpoints. Get to the points. Receive 250 bonus Starpoints® per eligible stay at St. Regis®, Luxury Collection®, W®, Le Méridien®, Westin® and Sheraton® and 125 Starpoints per stay at AloftSM, ElementSM and Four Points® by Sheraton.
    2. In-Room Internet Access. Online. On us. Surf, stream and stay connected in the convenience of your guest room with free in-room Internet access for your entire stay.
    3. Complimentary Beverage. Cheers. Sit back and relax with your favorite cocktail in the hotel’s restaurant or bar.

17. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wondering, what is everyone's UG success (preferred rooms) with Hyatt Plat?

kenbo, jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there is an upgrade clause with Hyatt Platinum but they have done what they can to give me the room I ask for (i.e. High Floor, away from Elevator).

19. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh okay, good enough for me.

jbcarioca, Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been upgraded to suites several times and even given a hot buffet breakfast once at the Orange County Hyatt Regency (near Disneyland) as a Hyatt Platinum. Even as a lowly Gold member, I was room-served complimentary continental breakfast at the Grand Hyatt Erawan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Upgraded several times to a conference and kids suite at the HROC
    [​IMG]
    As a lowly Gold, I was room-served a great continental breakfast at the Grand Hyatt Erawan

21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's how I felt after my first stay as a Diamond at Andaz 5th Avenue.

So it really is a YMMV thing.

22. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been upgraded a couple of times as a Platinum, but I have noticed at once regular members got better rooms as me. I have also noticed better service.

23. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a new answer to this question: free food and coffee in Vegas. The M life partnership will offer a match from HGP Platinum to M life Gold, which includes buffet and coffee shop "line passes" at the Vegas MGM properties.

Contemplate: for getting a $75/year credit card, one can eat all year at the Vegas buffets. It's not for me, but I'm sure this appeals to some.

Tenmoc, jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  24. smayorga

smayorga Active Member

Status Points:
    Aren't the line passes just to bypass the line and go to the front. I did't think were for free meals. Can someone else who's got M life status weigh in? I'll be getting M life Platinum with my Hyatt Diamond status.

25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know with Diamond status however every other "line pass" I have received at the MGM and the Wynn were just that- line bypass tickets [no free food].

boondr, jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.