What's the point of being Platinum Premier?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by gregm, Feb 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I've posted before, (I think), I've wondered what the benefit of advancing form Plat Elite to Plat Premier is. No difference in earning perks from one to the other. I just had my first stay for 2014 in a Courtyard with single king rooms, double queen rooms, and 3 king suites (from what the fact sheet states.) I booked a king single and received an OK room with a terrace, 3rd floor, but right over the front entrance. One would think they would have upgraded me to a suite, no?

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    There used to be a difference in treatment and perks, but the perks have disappeared and reports indicate the treatment usually isn't any better either these days.

uggboy and gregm like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sux. I was hoping to, at the least, be treated just a little more special when traveling internationally.

4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did receive a nice gift today. I haven't fiddled with it, but it looks like a portable power source (USB).

uggboy likes this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that's about the only difference.

OK, in theory you *should* have priority as far as upgrades but not sure anyone has reported a big difference.

uggboy and gregm like this.
  6. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been Platinum Premier for 3 years now, and there is really no difference. I get an upgraded room about 35% of the time. The worse is the Miami Dadeland Marriott. I have even called the Premier line while on the way to several full service Marriott's and JW Marriott's and specifically asked if they had suites available and how many. On several occasions they have had at least two suites available and when I go to check in they will not offer the upgrades.

uggboy, gregm and iolaire like this.
  7. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you get from Platinum Elite to Platinum Premier?

Newscience, uggboy and gregm like this.
  8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it's the top 3% of either PE or MR members. It's an unpublished MR level.

uggboy likes this.
  9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm happy to say that last week (after 1 night in a not so great room) I was upgraded to a suite for the remainder of the week, one of three in this particular Courtyard.

10. amartinez041

amartinez041 Active Member

Status Points:
    I was a platinum member for 3 years until now that I have been downgraded to gold. I used to enjoy the arrival gift at the Marriott or JW Marriott hotel. I was upgraded one o twice a year (basically nothing); I honestly didn't see that happening.

gregm likes this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rarely get to stay at JWs. Only if it's not work related or using points. Were you Plat Elite or Plat Premier?

12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been given the suite 2 or 3 more times now. I was told if they don't sell it, it's mine week after week!

13. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure there is much a difference either, although I will say that I don't spend my nights at Marriott chasing the PP status.

gregm likes this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. I can understand loyalty to airline programs, based upon destinations and routes travelled. But loyalty to hotel programs also isn't something that I consider, simply because hotel stays for business travel are decided by many other factors. And there almost always appears to be considerably more choices in where to stay at a hotel than for which airline to travel. At least most hotel loyalty programs allow you to accumulate points that don't expire annually!

gregm likes this.
  15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree about the difference in loyalty with respect to airline vs. hotel. That being said, I keep Hilton 'on deck' but only when it's not my choice to stay in or there isn't a reasonably close Marriott. I have low or no status with Hilton, but if I did the upgrades would definitely top Marriott.

Newscience likes this.
  16. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just checked into the Marriott on Louisiana St in Albq, NM. No upgrade when they do have upgrades available.

17. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I'd agree on that (Hilton elite upgrades topping Marriott's) but it could depend on the property.

However, if you're looking for a way to get status with Hilton that is both quick and cheap, both Citi and AMEX offer HHonors-branded credit cards that carry Gold status at under $100 annual fee.

gregm likes this.
  18. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just stayed at the Marriott Tech Center South of Denver. I called before I checked in and asked if they had any suites available, and was told they had 2. I showed up to check in and requested the upgrade to the suite and of course they had none available. There is absolutely no benefit having platinum premiere status.