What's the most shocking thing you've heard an FA tell a passenger?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by chaz4449, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure I travel a lot less than a majority of you, but I've observed some funny and shocking exchanges between FAs and Pax.

The story I thought I would share took place in the heart of the Y cabin on a US flight from CLT to MSP on an A320. A few rows in front of me, two obese men were sitting together (one in the aisle and the other in the window with a vacant middle). They seemed to be enjoying the extra room until the FA brought a little five year old girl traveling alone to that seat- poor kid. The two men became irate demanding that the child be put somewhere else as they "needed" the room. Theystarted complaining to the FA about the airline and her personally causing a minor scene. The FA then smiled and said "US Airways and I did not make you both so fat. Now let the child in her seat, or I will have you removed from the plane". There was much laughter and clapping. The poor kid got her seat.

2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow... not the best way to phrase it, but totally agree that the child should have her seat. Southwest has pretty clear rules about obese passengers requiring more than one seat.

i'm surprised that airlines have not sold "tommy class" seats - at least on flights that are not full. I'm not overweight, but have broad shoulders and do enjoy the extra space, especially on an airline where i can't easily upgrade.

druiddation likes this.
  3. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Leg room seats are nice, I am 6 foot and 32" pitch is the absolute limit I can handle for a short period. Except for transcons, domestically I'd often prefer elbow room and no battle for the armrests over an extra 4 or 5 inches of seat pitch.

druiddation likes this.
  4. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The guys should not have said anything about it and the FA should not ever speak to a customer that way.

chaz4449 likes this.
  5. mikesteg

mikesteg Silver Member

Status Points:
    She should have walked the girl up to F (or at least moved her somewhere else). As stupid as that pair seemed to be, who knows if they'd take 1/2 her seat anyway?

HaveMilesWillTravel and chaz4449 like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know... I think it really depends on the details of "Theystarted complaining to the FA about the airline and her personally causing a minor scene. "

I believe some people just don't understand politeness. I probably think the main mistake here is to leave the kids sit between the two guys.

7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    These are "fireable" customers to me. At a certain threshold, I am okay with changing the tone to the one that gets the point across, sensibilities be damned.

8. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't there. I'm sure both parties were not acting appropriately. The guys shouldn't have been complaining and the FA shouldn't have gotten rude. Being a FA requires some customer service skills and they should be more than able to handle naughty customers while being professional.

I don't know what it is with people, they get on airplane and the ass clown comes out.

9. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a US fan by any means, but that was one heck of a constructive response! :cool:

LETTERBOY and FlyingBear like this.