What's The Most Extravagant Airline Perk?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || What's The Most Extravagant Airline Perk? ||

[​IMG]

bez7, Flyer1976, 8MiHi and 3 others like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi uggboy-
    Great question.
    The most extravagant perk is not flying commercial which means:
    Schedule when you want to arrive and leave
    Minimal congestion
    Flying to secondary airports closer to where you actually want to be
    Eating what you want when you want

Of course this is just a start- the downside being the operating costs :)

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While of course the operating costs are high, the eventual reward will be "pure satisfaction" and as they say, "that's priceless".
    As for me, I wouldn't mind a private jet, flexible timings / airports incl. smaller ones, butler service and real chef service on board on demand, plus on the ground super luxury transportation to every destination, just like the flying experience, on demand, delivered. Priceless indeed. :cool:

Of course, I wouldn't mind one of the First Class suites with Singapore Airlines either, even when it is commercial. :)

4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a customer with a Black AMEX. He said that all he had to do was call the Concierge, tell them where and when he wanted to go. They would send a car, take him to the airport, golf car him thru Security and to the gate arriving just as the aircraft was ready to close the door. Then at the other end he was met at the airplane door and taken to a town car (or equivalent on the tarmac, and taken to his suite at the hotel. No interaction with any of the annoyances. Of course all charged to the Black (actually Titanium) AMEX. And his bookkeeper paid the bills from the company account.

Would be nice to be treated that way . Once . Without having to pay.

bez7, 8MiHi, jbcarioca and 1 other person like this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can get this service if you pay- a good travel agent can arrange it with no need for a Black or any other colour Amex. I do agree would be nice to be treated this way without paying.

bez7, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to think the mid-flight shower ranks up there.

[​IMG]

bez7, Flyer1976, 8MiHi and 3 others like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bathtub (not shower) in the LH IFT at FRA, complete with rubber ducky.

TPR at SIN is pretty good too, as well as the choice of two champagnes in SQ IFC/suites.

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not extravagant- however my favorite perk is the free chauffer pickup service by Emirates. I use it a few times a month and it saves me a ton of money (our internal driver costing is 80 EUR per leg so 160 EUR per round trip- an average of 30 trips per year equals a savings of almost 5000 EUR).

bez7, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  9. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes the showers at FCT / FCL are not designed very well.
    I once completely flooded the floor after a 15 min shower and the cleaner was none too pleased.

But the meal service in FRA FCLs / FCT are wonderful.

TPR has excellent champagne. But Dom 2003 on the flight doesn't really cut it as it's not too good a vintage IMHO, and Krug NV is nothing special either.

MUC FCL isn't as good as FRA's but they have more special duckies

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes this is excellent. Albeit slightly cramped on the shower area due to the sloping ceiling. But thoroughly wonderful. Imagine getting off a 13 hour flight to JFK feeling fresh after an 8 hour sleep and a shower.

bez7 and jbcarioca like this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have tested the midflight shower. Apart from bragging rights it seems to me to be a bit of a waste of space- I would far prefer airlines invest in arrival lounge products.

12. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the worst IME - failed to pickup 2 of 4 times. Thankfully did not miss my flights but it was very upsetting. I decided I will use corp car service next time as reliability is paramount.

I think my fav perk would be food service on demand - I hate being told when to eat. Sometimes I wake up hungry halfway across the Atlantic or pacific and all I find are crappy sandwiches and candy bars. Next would be half hourly beverage service - should not have to get up,every time I finish a diet coke. Not the cart, just an FA walking thru C and F cabin to see if anyone needs anything.

bez7, jbcarioca and TRAVELSIG like this.
  13. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's true. ZRH Arrival's lounge is excellent and open to all *G members *shocked face*. FRA's one is ok but I don't recall sleeping rooms there. I like the free pressing feature. If I traveled for business I think I would use it.

14. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Failed 2 out of 4? Ive had one failed in DXB. Wrote in to EK and was compensated with 10K miles. =)
    Not sure if being gold and flying in F makes a difference but 10K was pretty fair back then.

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really?

Fortunately I have never had EK with a problem for pickup. One time only the driver had difficulty finding the underground parking entrance to our offices however a short phone call solved everything.

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me their pickup failed the last two times. I no longer try. FWIW, the shower is also a bit over the top too. I've done it a couple of times, no problem with space, hot water supply or anything else, but the arrival lounge works more easily for me so i don't use the showers either.

For more than a decade I flew mostly on private aircraft, although I was flying it myself almost all of the time. No question, an owner pilot is treated as well as, or better than, a normal passenger, who're treated very well. Celebrities are usually treated even better but they pay for all that pampering. Some, Morgan Freeman comes to mind, accept zero pampering, but he flies himself too, in an SJ-30, no less. To my way of thinking that is the finest way to travel. OTOH, the price in money and time commitment for training is astronomical.

Practically thinking I think the new generation of business class seats, staggered flat, make me forget other choices and be thankful I do not have to pay for more than that any more. I still fly EK and LH F, but much less so than I did some years ago.

TRAVELSIG likes this.