What's the least expensive you've seen for Grand Hyatt Kauai?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Bikeguy, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to take my wife back for our 15th wedding anniversary. Have lost my Diamond status, but willing to use points to UG to a suite. However, you must purchase your room (no FFNs). Doing a month long search in September, it looks like a little over $400 a night. Has anyone seen lower recently?

2. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see $361.80 for Costco code, or AAA. Seems like a hefty resort charge and tax too. I assume you don't have any Hyatt Costco certs hanging around?

AARP rate is $318.50 for the dates I checked.

3. I have not stayed there.

Call the hotel directly and ask for the on-site reservations or reservation manager. (so they don't transfer you to the 800 number)
    Ask them for a deal. I have had pretty good success in the past just asking, and in your case you have a nice story :p

Good Luck

Kaanapali likes this.
  4. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:

Remember that to upgrade to a suite using points you need to be careful that you are booking a qualifying rate from which to upgrade.
    " When redeeming Regency/Grand Club® Upgrades or Suite Upgrades at a resort property, you must pay a minimum of the prevailing deluxe rack rate (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, etc.). " See http://goldpassport.hyatt.com/gp/en/awards/hyatt_upgrade.jsp

This being said, I second the advice to call the property - it cannot hurt to ask.

5. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any way you'll be able to requalify for Diamond before Sept.? Maybe some MRing is in your future![​IMG]

6. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just don't see it happening. Too many kids with too many activities and a new job starting March 1. Would consider a run for Diamond with the FFNs, but there's no way I'd use 12 FFNs, let alone 25 basically phantom stays.

7. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand! If it were possible, I'd gladly give you a suite upgrade!

8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What was your nightly rate?

9. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, the lowest I have seen before is $350.

10. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a great place to stay on points. I'm glad I did!

11. In 2009 at Thanksgiving there was a 48 hour sale and regular rooms were $179. This is the lowest I have ever seen it, and I've spent over 350 nights there in the last 10 years (so...I check prices regularly...). Normally the very best it can get is about $300, and its very date dependent. The best rates here are usually AAA, unless some short term sale is trumping that out. This is also a property where, especially at certain times, it makes good sense to consider suite certificates. Finally, if you need TWO rooms, the family plan is far and away the best option (half off rack on room 2).

12. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was the 48 hour sale via a Hyatt email? I would love to book this hotel at the $179 rate, as it is a great value. I usually see rates of $369-$429 for AAA. when checking a range of dates.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confident any such sale in the future will be posted/discussed here on MP. Usually I find out about any promos/sales from sites like this before I receive the email from the actual program.