whats the dumbest thing you've done/worst moment as frequent flyer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by JohnDeere19, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Influenced by the what are your greatest achievements/moments as a frequent flyer I was thinking we should start a "whats the dumbest thing you've done/worst moment as frequent flyer?" I'm not sure if this is my worst, but off the top of my head it was my first mileage redemption. I had 60k US Airways DM miles and was looking at flights to Vegas that cost ~$300 from NY. I went online to check if I could book an award ticket and I found a low first one way and full economy one way (25k miles each for a total of 50k miles). I was so happy that I was able to get F one way for the same price as Y the other, but that was before I knew that 50k US Air miles could get me 1/2 of a J ticket to Europe with a stopover (at the time, one stopover each way). Somehow, I managed to call and ask if my "full" Y award was eligible for an upgrade and I was upgraded on the spot, so I guess it didn't turn out all that bad. I still regret this decision and wish I had been smarter/done my research, but I'm happy that it, along with another trip, made me question if what I was doing was the best way to go about traveling and it led me to FT (and now MP).

What's yours?

jbcarioca, rharrigill and savydog like this.
  2. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    In 1998, I blew 45,000 SkyMiles on a J trip (before BusinessElite) from JFK-SFO on Delta. I didn't realize how good the miles-earned-to-dollars-spent ratio could be on this route, and the reward trip delayed my qualifying for Silver Medallion by two months. Rookie mistake.

jbcarioca, JohnDeere19 and savydog like this.
  3. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many points wasted on short trips that for one reason or another had to be cancelled. The joys of small business :)

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gave away about 30 hotel nights to family and friends. Never got so much as a thank you or any expression of gratitude. All we heard was complaints about rooms being too small, too close to elevators and requests for more. Mind you most of the recipients would normally stay at Motel 6 on their own dime, but found plenty to bitch about at the Sheraton or Hiltons.

Never again.

5. Three weeks into a four week trip in the USA, sent a parcel containing clothes back to Australia which had my passport in the coat pocket. Wanted to stay longer anyway, and no problems changing flights whilst waited for passport to be returned by courier. Have done lot of travel and thought I was good at it, but you can't put brains into a statue.

Rlpro, kellio and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a quick business trip down to Atlanta, out Sunday, back Monday.

Sunday night I settle into my hotel and try to check into for my return flight the next day... This flight is not yet available for check-in.

Turned out our travel person booked the return segment for the wrong day. (I had given her the correct day.)

I call work Monday morning, turns out she's not in today. Her sub says UA is completely booked today, so she can't change my ticket, but I can go on the last AA ATL-ORD flight of the day for $X. Well, I have no idea what our company policy is in such a case, and our normal travel coordinator isn't around to tell me. Nor is my boss. Also, I'll be getting back to ATL around 2 pm, don't want to sit around ATL for five hours and have no lounge access. (I guess Delta and AirTran were options too, but nobody at work ever flew them. Ever. We flew Southwest sometimes, but never DL.)

So I burn 50K UA miles on a standard ATL-ORD award. On an RJ, getting a seat in the back of the plane. Oh, this was about a month before UA started offering one-way awards. I did screw someone on the standby list, but took no perverse pleasure from it this day.

Tried to complain about it back at work. No one gave a crap.

I don't work there anymore, but you better believe I carefully check all my itineraries from now on. It wasn't a huge hit to my mileage balance, but I certainly learned there's no point doing it for work.

7. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I bought tickets for a one week stay in Barbados. When we went to the airport for the return flight, I had purchased the return for the same day in the following month -- this was in Feb which has 28 days, so the Feb dates and the March dates fall on the same day of the week, which is why I did not catch my mistake. Fortunately there was availability, but we had to pay the change fee.

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew Delta.

9. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been waiting for this thread...

I have had several long-haul flights that I gained no miles for:
    • LAX-AKL-WLG-SYD-MEL-BNE-SYD-AKL-LAX on QF (would have given full mileage to AA)
    • LAX-TPE-HKG-TPE-LAX on CI (was a pretty low fare, so may not have been able to get DL)
    And more recently I tried to credit another QF flight (JNB-SYD-MEL-SYD-JNB) to AA without checking the fare class, so I likely wasted another one.

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D....getting hooked on frequent flyer sites. The redeeming factor has been the friends made....

11. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not calling OZ's FF Club to cancel my mom's itinerary SEA-ICN in C when I was supposed to use the miles for JFK-FRA-AMS-MUC-BCN-ZRH-JFK in LH F/C and LX F/C.... Now I will never get to fly F or C for a while... *sigh*

12. geoffco
    Original Member

geoffco Silver Member

Status Points:
    flew Southwest :D

13. jrsinpdx
    Original Member

jrsinpdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to fly into RDU and out of RIC quite often. Showed up at RIC for the return flight and was told I had booked an RDU return.

14. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was a Freshman in high school, class trip to Yugoslavia (which is the correct name at the time) ...... MIA airport, went to Burger King, guess I must have put my plane tickets on the tray, don't really know for sure. When I went to board, they let me on the plane without a ticket (and back then, it was tickets, nothing electronic), flew to JFK, got the TWA desk to reissue my tickets to LHR and back, Then I flew to LHR with no idea if Yugoslavia Airlines (or whatever they were called, would reissue my lost tickets) ... blew most of my spending money for the trip on reissuing plane tickets (and once again to date myself, atm's didn't exist).

15. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got too many DL miles. Wait, let me rephrase it. STILL got too many DL miles.
    :confused:

16. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once had to go to STL on business, the wife decided to go with me. On the morning of return I went to check her in online and it gave an error saying I couldn't check in for a flight in the past. I had accidentally booked her return flight a day early. Whoops!

Luckily, we were flying Southwest and it was a breeze to change her ticket and didn't have to pay a fee for changing.

Lyssa, jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  17. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a frequent flyer*? None....so far.
    When I was a kettle? Thinking I'll never ever be in position to fly more than 2-3 times a year.

*considered myself one when I got my WN A-List card early in 2008. Yes, some say that still classifies me as a kettle and that my official de-kettlenizing should be defined as when I attained Star Gold late last year.

18. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the last day at a hotel in Amsterdam, one of my prescriptions went missing. We frantically looked around the hotel room to no avail. We were going a river cruise that same day, but luckily we were overnighting on the ship in Amsterdam. Because I forgot to bring a copy of my prescription, I had to track down a tourist doctor on a Sunday to write a new prescription and get it refilled. Luckily I had a wonderful cruise manager that helped me through the whole process... what a mess! Now I bring copies of the prescription every time.

19. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Showing up at ORD for a Northwest flight when the flight was out of MDW (I only fly ORD as I'm <3 miles from ORD), turns out there was a new booking engine at our corp & I didn't pay attention.

The very latest dumb move was happily explaining to Mrs Sweet Willie how UA lifetime had come in handy in my upgrade to F, afterwhich she replied how her lack of status had her in seating area 4 for a flight she was taking later that day:eek: She said she didn't even know that the seating area number went that high.:D I'm still in the doghouse as I laughed a little too hard at her 'joke'.

20. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still remember the agent asking my father if he had plane tickets for today.

But that one all worked out ok.

21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only the most recent one, because there are so many from which to choose.

in January I flew GIG-CDG-NCE and thought I had booked NCE-CDG-GIG on the return. I'd actually booked NCE-ORY-CDG-GIG. Mrs. jb and I showed up at NCE only to discover our mistake. I acknowledged my eror, and was told "airfrance.com should not allow that idiocy to happen, your intentions were obvious, it is not your fault". Such an attitude, I thought I was dreaming. The GA sent me off to the ticketing counter, taking me there himself. I had reissued tickets and flew on the correct flight to CDG with no loss of time or money.

That one was really lucky and I applaud AF for handling it so well.

I should not talk about the time that Mrs. jb and I were meant to meet each other at HKG, I arriving on JL from JFK via NRT and she from SFO on UA. We gave no thought at all that my inbound flight might be late or something else might happen. I had the hotel arrangements, she had no idea where we would stay. My inbound flight was delayed, but we made the connection only to see the door close to the jetway as we arrived (six other running passengers with me). I dropped to my knees begging them to reopen the door and six others joined me in abject supplication. The GA's began to laugh and reopened the door. That flight arrived two hours late, Mrs. jb was long gone. No cellular telephones. I had booked the Peninsula, so went there. Mrs. jb was already checked in. She figured I had booked there because it was her favorite HK hotel and she thought I was probably being nice. She was correct.

Thus, another spectacular idiocy on my part worked out without harm.

Not all of them have worked out so well as these two did...

22. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having one too many Vodka's and Tonics at a PC in ATL... and missing my United Express Flight back to IAD...

On the plus side, I the change fee was cheap, Refare was a small amount, and more importantly, I got Hilton and BMI points for staying in an Embassy Suites....

And I still arrived back in the UK on the same day... just not at the time I wanted (which necessitated) cross London at speed....

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  23. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Started out crediting miles to several different programs instead of going for status on one.. what was I thinking

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  24. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    JAT - flew them many times.

Mine can be blamed on Mrs. akcae (as long as she's not in the room :D). The two of us and our (at the time) 3-yr old son got to the airport to check in for our CAE-ATL-CDG-BEG flight only to discover that her passport was expired and she could not check in. After much panic, phone calls and an incredibly kind/helpful DL agent, my son and I went on with the trip and my wife flew the next morning to CT to the only passport office east of the Rockies that had appointment availability to renew her passport. We changed her award ticket to fly out of NYC and she caught up with us three days later.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  25. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    and wow, just when I thought I was getting smart......

Last year I had many car rentals with National, especially towards the end of the year when they ran their 1-2-Free promotion. Thanks to Exiled in Express the MP'er in this thread: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/1-2-free-versus-earned-free-days.8097/ who pointed out that the free days come in emails to me and are not credited on the drop down in my National account. Without the input I would have lost out on 6 free days:eek:

JohnDeere19 and torbster like this.