What's the "Distinction"

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Jun 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess you no longer earn "status", but "distinction" in Aeroplan....

If I understand the program correctly, everyone with status in "Altitude" will have "distinction" but not vice versa as it appears you get distinction for purchases through Aeroplan partners but not on flight bonuses.

HOW TO QUALIFY FOR DISTINCTION STATUS

[​IMG]
    The Distinction qualification period begins January 1 and ends December 31 of the same calendar year. Once qualified, benefits will begin immediately and continue through the following calendar year.
    The program debut is a little different: we’ve been tracking your eligible miles since January 1, 2013, and you still have until the end of the year to qualify for status in 2014. If you qualify, your benefits will begin January 1, 2014.

canucklehead, mevlannen and uggboy like this.
  2. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh, another lovely plastic card for scraping ice off my windshield, this time enhanced with a diamond cutting-edge?

YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  3. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...Only if you have 100,000 dDistinction points. Sorry, did I stutter?

I think Aeroplan did too. aeroplan.com doesn't appear to be working, and when I signed in to Altitude, my "dashboard" registered "0" on both dials!

mevlannen likes this.
  4. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    mrf, just noticed that.

Would be a darned shame if the Altitude programme folded altogether, because I was within 50 AQMs of my 'free' toaster. ^_^

YULtide likes this.
  5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Canuckle, I read that as 'scraped' at first, and wondered whether the person who'd been tasked with thinking up all of these 'enhancements' was inspired by scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel. In this case, barrel of monkeys, perhaps.

8. http://distinction.aeroplan.com/en

with 100K miles posted there will be better flight options so that makes those with E75 have the possibility of the same choices as SE's. those who don't fly but earn hundreds of thousands every year will be on the same level playing field as SE's also the way I read it.

9. Altitude won't fold; it will be the defacto FF program for AC with AE administering the points rewards

10. CLASSICFLIGHT REWARDS MILEAGE LEVEL CHANGES
    As part of the overall changes to the Aeroplan Program, the following ClassicFlight Business and First Class mileage levels will be increasing as of January 1, 2014.
    FROM/TO
    RRENT REQUIRED MILES
    Business/First Class

REQUIRED MILES AS OF JANUARY 1, 2014
    Business/First Class
    Canada/
    Continental US
    Asia 1
    125,000/175,000
    150,000/210,000
    Canada/
    Continental US
    Asia 2
    130,000/180,000
    155,000/215,000
    Canada/
    Continental US
    Middle East/
    North Africa
    135,000/190,000
    165,000/230,000
    Canada/
    Continental US
    Australia/
    New Zealand/
    South Pacific
    135,000/185,000
    160,000/220,000

11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

that is only regarding the miles. If you expire within seven years the miles are gone.

12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes, for our convenience we now have yet another status level to track.

I do like the dropping of the 7-year expiry of miles, though.

canucklehead likes this.
  13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:

Those are some pretty hefty increases. I'll be waiting with interest to see what the AE "MarketRate" (or was it something else?) rewards end up being like.

14. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait for another set of luggage tags

SensFan likes this.
  15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you'll need to do much tracking. Altitude 75K or better will automatically end up as dDiamond, even without any other spending. I logged into AP yesterday and noticed that I'm a dBlack already, based on my 2013 spending.

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So looking at the rewards more closely ... let's use their example:

[​IMG][​IMG]

dBlack gets another 35% discount from that, so that's basically 32K miles at "Market Fare". Old-style search shows fares of 25K, with good availability if you have priority rewards access (E and above, I think). But if you're mostly earning miles from credit cards or other non-AC partners, you won't get that access -- then Market Fare might be a good option. (And clearly AP is trying to expand beyond just AC.)

The interesting question will be how they price the "Market Fares" as that's not documented. I would especially be interested whether they offer those for international J. But we probably won't find out for a while yet as the program doesn't roll out until 2014.

17. jeff_eh

jeff_eh New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, is this yet ANOTHER change to Aeroplan program?! I've been super elite, now I'm Altitude 100k, next year i'll be Distinct Diamond? The cost of changing these programs has got be extraordinary, maybe that equates to the increase in fares for points ;-)

I'm senator on Lufthansa also...and they don't change much from what i can tell....getting quite disenchanted with loyalty programs....

18. Don't be surprised if AE merges some day with Air Miles as they own controlling shares in their parent UK company.
    That will happen when AC fully takes over the whole FF program from AE which I believe will be in 2017.

19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is now increasing separation between AC and AP (which are independent companies) programs. You'll still be Altitude 100K next year, that's AC's status program. dDiamond will be an "extra" status which might (or might not) get you better rewards for the AP miles you accumulate.

20. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:

Hmm, a quick guess...whatever AC considers a fair "market fare"? And that really depends if Porter or WS flies the same route, no? Gee, I'm terribly excited...dDiamond already and so much to look forward too! I'm sure glad I held on to that pile of miles unlike those other dummies... Now we'll really reap the savings on classic plus.. oops... "market fare" rewards! Yawn...gotta keep all those fresh MBAs busy I guess...

21. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not true as Groupe Aeroplan, now Aimia, may own one UK loyalty firm, Nectar, but Air Miles UK is owned by BA which rebranded it as Avios in 2011.

Aimia is a partner in Air Miles Middle East but for all other countries where Air Miles operates it is a licensor only retaining intellectual property rights to the logo and name and isn't involved in the program operation nor have a stake in each business.

22. jeff_eh

jeff_eh New Member

Status Points:
    thanks everyone...i spend nearly every week traveling to another country, so i have a fair amount of miles and i feel like no matter what program i am involved in they get devalued and devalued and devalued constantly....

23. Some people ,right Stephan, assume its only AC that does that. I have a lot of BA miles and they have suffered serious depreciation and availability potential over time.

24. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so. I think this is AP, completely independent of AC.[/quote]

guinnessxyz likes this.
  25. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I said earlier, the principal value of the ddddDistinction programme is that they might issue a diamond-edged card to me, which would come in rather handy as an ice-scraper for those alpine sleet-storms we have at my workplace.

(Of course, it'll arrive postage due)

YULtide likes this.