What's the deal with Element Hotels?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by James K., Nov 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey there. Pardon my ignorance, and feel free to direct me to some relevant pre-existing thread.

Anyhoo, I'm looking to make a leisure trip to Omaha and the Element Omaha seems very well-received. However, I'm more of a Hyatt/Hilton man and I don't know that much about the various Starwood Brands. To be honest, I'd never heard of Element.

So before I decide where to stay, I'd like to know what their deal is, so to speak. What's their "bit?" Are they classy/cheap, do they offer free breakfast, are they well-regarded by SPG aficionados, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kalboz, misman and mo26 like this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never heard of it myself, but found some info here: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/element/about/index.html

3. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Element in NYC a month ago for two nights.

The room was quite wonderful. Heavenly Bed, free internet and breakfast (although I did not get the breakfast).

In addition, the room had a real kitchen with full size fridge, stove, microwave and mini dishwasher. There were all the dishes/pots and pans there too. Everything was in good condition, and the bathroom was quite nice as well.

I somehow got a special Locals rate, and have been searching for the rate again, unsuccessfully. I would stay there again without hesitation.

NYBanker likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I've read ... Element by Westin is sorta like a cheaper Westin but geared toward "eco-friendly" stuff. Recycled materials throughout etc etc.

I've never stayed in one yet but that what I gather. It seems like SPG has a lower end tier for all their mainstreme brands, except St. Regis.

Sheraton/4P by Sheraton
    W / Aloft
    Westin / Element

miles and smiles, Kalboz and MX like this.
  5. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed at the Element Miami. Like secreatsea18 said above, you get a kitchenette with dishes, microwave, fridge, Westin Heavenly Bed, free wi-fi throughout, free breakfast (which was ok: hot/cold breakfast bar, fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice, etc). I would stay there again with no qualms.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds a bit like a Residence Inn.

7. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alright thanks so much guys. I think I'm getting a handle on things now. I have to admit, the "green" factor doesn't matter to me at all, I'm just mulling the difference between a classy-looking local joint (The Magnolia) at 125$ and the Element at 99$.

8. anthstr

anthstr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at this hotel last year after it opened. It was quite nice.

9. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    100 times nicer than any residence inn I've ever stayed at though.

The other nice thing about the Element is the free happy hour for all guests. each hotel has a different theme, so not sure what that one will offer. But the one in NYC has an awesome happy hour with a little of everything and the one outside of Baltimore had a craft beer theme.

NYBanker likes this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Residence Inn offers happy hour! ;) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/701533-best-residence-inn-happy-hour.html

Indeed, at least looking at the Element photos on the SPG website, the properties do look two notches above the dreaded RIs.

11. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I decided not to stay there after Hotels.com's 10% off credit came out, forcing my hand towards the Magnolia Hotel, but I appreciate all of you adding to my body of knowledge. Thanks guys

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lets see now Magnolia $125 -10% = $112.50, Element $99 + plus SPG points :confused:

akcae likes this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    How an eco friendly hotel can have a full size fridge in each room is still a bit of a challenge to my sense of sustainability.

edekba likes this.