What's the current timetable for Diamond Club closure and expectations for our elite status?

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by gleff, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I admit I haven't kept up on the latest recently, had rather expected we'd hear more by now or at least that I'd have gotten something directly from Diamond Club.

Wasn't the program going to be closed middle of 2011?

I guess I need to figure out what to do with my Diamond Club balances before this happens, since the miles will be worth so much less for the most part in Miles & More.

Just wondering what's the latest news, and I figure that other occasional visitors to the forum might as well.

And I'm also sorta wondering what'll happen to my status, is it just a straight match to LH Miles & More Senator? And for one-year or a full two years? :)

2. Margaret
    Original Member

Margaret Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's definitely this year and I reckon it's sooner rather than later. I phoned DC but they hadn't been informed.

Wanaflyforless likes this.
  3. tosc
    Original Member

tosc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope it's not too early, somewhen in mid-2011 would be "ok" for me though ...

4. lallyr
    Original Member

lallyr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must have burnt 400k in anticipation of this merger within the last year. I got a funny feeling that DC Pune will just advise us one day that the rules have changed and we can no longer do cash + miles and so on.

5. lallyr
    Original Member

lallyr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh and I think the earlier members who were migrated got the full 2 years. So we should get the same.

6. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think LX and SN members only got a 1 year match, as did the folks who have already been forcefully migrated (NL,etc). (The remainder of the current year plus the following year to re-qualify)
    I wouldn't bet on two years.

7. lallyr
    Original Member

lallyr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was it? I thought it was two? They were migrated last summer so they had all of 2010 and 2011 so a year and a half I guess.

8. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    But they were expecting to be SEN the remainder of 2010 and then vailidity until 02/2013. "All" they got was 02/2012

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, BMI has a different qualification method and period. There's no way LH can give status till February next year as many can have the status earned on BMI for a longer period of time.

My guess is if this happens this summer, you will get 2/13 and start qualifying (or in my case stop earning/using account) January 1st 2012

doc and kiwi like this.
  10. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 55K orphaned bmi miles in my account. What would be the best of use for such a small amount. I am aware of the cash & miles option, but the surcharge really makes bmi redemption unattractive. I have an up coming stay in Asia. I am wondering if it's worth it to redeem for flights on these routes, DPS-HAN or SGN and ICN-KIX etc. I would love to get some pointers from the bmi gurus.

KIXman likes this.
  11. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    56.250 miles = one way in Swiss F US-Europe ;)

Pegasus likes this.
  12. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks tommy777, that means I'll have to find a way to accrue another 1,250 miles. Any idea how to do it cheaply other than make a direct purchase from bmi?

KIXman likes this.
  13. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    1 night at any Hilton earns you 1000 miles (change your my way Hilton profile to earn 10 hhonors points + fixed airline miles and add your BMI number)

You can buy miles as well for 12 GBP per 1000 miles + a 15 GBP transaction fee

Pegasus likes this.
  14. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great Thanks! I guess a night at Hilton is in order.

KIXman likes this.
  15. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck!
    In another forum there are reports that Swiss F awards between Europe and US have become difficult to get with BMI (or any *A) miles.

16. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forcefully migrated DC members only got the current year plus the following year to requalify but LH/M&M were more generous with former SN Privilege members.

I believe the migration took place on 25 October 2009 and any transferred status would be valid for two years until 25 October 2011. But in reality the expiry date would be the end of February 2012 so those members would have 28 months of M&M status after the migration.

kiwi likes this.
  17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I successfully redeemed JFK-ZRH without any problems recently. There was plenty of availability throughout the schedule

18. lallyr
    Original Member

lallyr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I managed it a couple of months ago. Was better then other airlines availability.

19. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    It appears that F awards to the west coast are more difficult to get.

20. Shuttle-Bored
    Original Member

Shuttle-Bored Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sat on about 130k BD miles, and need to think about options for burning them. Trouble is that 2011 is pretty much planned out using BA miles - and my earn rate on BD is surprisingly high given how little I fly on *A....

21. lallyr
    Original Member

lallyr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anything to the west coast is difficult to get. Try ticketing a biz award to the west coast and your options are very bad as all trans con flights are classed as First!

22. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another point of advantage for miles & more, perhaps?

23. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    The consensus seems to be that F (and possibly C) awards to certain destinations are more difficult to get even with M&M miles.

24. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I decided to divert my miles to OZ where I should qualify for *G with my next long-haul trip (I'm SIN-based now, so more likely to fly OZ than BD too). Meanwhile 300k miles sit in my BD account, waiting for Star Alliance upgrades to be introduced, else the transition to MM. I sure hope that happens before July, as that's when my BD*G runs out.

25. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    On good authority (a DC rep that I always talk to when booking mile redemption trips) indicated that it may be upwards of 2 yrs. But I cant attest to the quality of his source. I'd like to see it by year end so my *G doesnt expire and LH will lovingly send me my 2yr senator membership.