What's the chance for compliment upgrade MVPG SJC-HNL?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by fishy, Dec 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. fishy

fishy Active Member

Status Points:
    Recently matched UA G to AS MVPG, and will fly 1st time on AS metal on Jan SJC-HNL-SJC.

I'm wondering that if my compliment upgrade chance is slim, that would be a perfect opportunity to burn my MVPG guest upgrade certifications? As this might be one of the longest non-stop AS metal I can fly out of Bay Area.

2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have the guest upgrade certs? Did you pay for a qualifying fare? They are restricted from the lower coach fares.

But if you are MVPG, I would link on the SJC-HNL route you have a chance as there aren't many elites in SJC

3. fishy

fishy Active Member

Status Points:
    So the guest upgrade certifications are not usable on all fare classes (sorry I just switched from UA to AS so am not familiar with all the stuff yet)? Maybe that explained why I decided to burn my certifications today, called AS, but they said that it's sold out on my flights. I bought them from the last promotion, it's in K. fingers crossed. :)

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you go to the AS website and try to book the flight you are currently on, you can select which type of upgrade you want to use, and it will show you the qualifying fares, and also whether it is currently available - there needs to be a U next to your flight to show upgrade inventory. You can get an idea of how full the F cabin is by looking at the seating chart from this screen - it's not a guarantee, but you know that any assigned seats aren't available.

fishy likes this.
  5. fishy

fishy Active Member

Status Points:
    Yay! Thanks! There're still plenty of first class seats available now, I'll just wait for a complimentary upgrade.

6. fishy

fishy Active Member

Status Points:
    Update: I got upgraded for the SJC-HNL segment. Yay! Looks like the chance on the return segment is also very high, looking forward to it.

Golfingboy likes this.
  7. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I have heard/read, the SJC/OAK-Hawaii flights are among the easiest for upgrades.

8. fishy

fishy Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess that's correct. Looks like there aren't many MVPs onboard so maybe any MVP can get their upgrades.