What's the catch: Hilton Grand Vacations

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nonstopski, Mar 22, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    After calling in for award availability on Hilton, they had a "special offer" for 6 days / 5 night stay at a Hilton area hotel in Hawaii ("the Hilton Waikola Getaway" at Hilton Waikola Village).

Sounded like a Timeshare deal. I said no. There was no mention of some timeshare session, etc. But here are the other details:

In addition, you get a $200 "Spend A Night On Us" Certificate and 5,000 HHonors Points.

The total cost was $800 (requiring a $299 deposit that day).

What is the catch? On its face it doesn't sound like a *terrible* deal. It doesn't sound too bad, particularly with a free night ($200 voucher). But yea, maybe they just did a good sales pitch?

8MiHi and Dublin_rfk like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a Vacation Club. You buy in at a variable rate. (depending on your Hilton status and what you want) I took 4 day in LAS with the +1 for @ 150.00. As a HH Diamond the deal was so good it was hard to walk from. But I travel extensively and didn't want to get tied down. (I rarely use $ on my vacations) I didn't get the 5K HHonors points and I am still looking for the Spend A Night On Us" Certificate and it was still a good deal.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    4 days for $150 total? Yea, that's very very good.

What is a "vacation club?" I'm just wondering is there some terrible 2 hr session that when you get to said destination that you have to sit through?

I am a Diamond member as well.

satman40 and Dublin_rfk like this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basicly you are in a time share, a potentially very, very nice time share. There is a two hour one on one session. In mine absolutely no pressure. The main reason I didn't take the offer was I prefer to freestyle my holidays. Four days in LAS, dinner, show tickets, and LAS not bad for $150. Airfare on miles all in all a nice weekend! My understanding is your are buying time over level of luxury not a place.

8MiHi likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

We did this about two years ago and it was well worth the money. The sales pitch is not a high pressure type of pitch and after about 40 minutes we were finished when they saw they had no chance of selling us.

Dublin_rfk and 8MiHi like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton properties at Waikoloa are all worth consideration.
    Three of them are 'Vacation Clubs' and one is a well regarded hotel. The three clubs are The Bay Club, The Kohala Suites and King's Land. All are nice, spacious well appointed properties.
    It is 20 miles north of Kona (and KOA) so a rental car would be useful. The hotel is on the beach and the Clubs are on Golf Courses. Please note that it is a bit of a hike to the beach from the clubs. The beach (known as 'A' Bay) is an excellent spot on the very placid Kohala coast. Pretty much any water sport that you can think of can be enjoyed there (except surfing since there are few, if any, waves). It rarely rains on the Kohala coast so there are usually lots of great beach days.
    My family and I have stayed there several times and enjoyed the side trips to the volcanoes, waterfalls, snorkeling sites by boat, gardens etc.
    If you can deal with the sales pitch, its worth your attention.