What's the big deal with hotel suites?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by James K., Nov 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not by any means a budget traveler. I'm not harping on everyone to stay in roadside motels. I really like nice hotels.

But with that said, what's the big deal with hotel suites? It's not like the difference between longhaul business class and coach, in which you're actively comfortable in the former (hopefully) and actively uncomfortable in the latter. That is a meaningful, significant difference. Particularly on redeye flights.

But hotel suites...I just don't see it. I've been reading about them a lot because of Hyatt's inflated prices and then people always seem to be outraged about not getting a suite or in a tizzy over whether their award night will get them a suite and, again, I don't get it. Okay, sure, it was nice when I was staying at the Radisson Quito and my wife wanted to go to bed before me and I had a separate room. That was neat. But most of the time if I'm on a major trip, I care about the location, and the price, and the quality of the hotel, and definitely the comfort of the bed, but then I'm off to explore Paris or whatever. So if offered I would take the extra room, of course, but it just doesn't seem like that big a deal.

So what's the fuss about? Is it just that part of us that wants to get some sort of "upgrade" of service, regardless of its utility? I understand that -- I was stoked to get upgraded on a CR7 from MSN to MSP, even though it really really didn't matter much. Or is there something I'm missing?

Sean Colahan, vickers, Garp74 and 7 others like this.
  2. lootcorp

lootcorp Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree with you, I'm usually the kind of person who doesn't spend a lot of time in a hotel room and don't care as long as I have a bed to sleep in. That being said, I did get upgraded to a really nice suite (Radisson) on a recent vacation to Aruba and it was amazing. The room had a great view, had a spacious balcony, came with Plaza Club access (free drinks, appetizers, concierge service, etc), and was by far the largest room I've ever stayed in. My wife loved it and we used the room a lot more than I thought we would. We could hear the music from the poolside bar's happy hour and would sit on the balcony enjoying the atmosphere without having to stand around a crowded bar. The beds were super comfortable and it just felt like we were living it up (it was an anniversary trip so the added touch of luxury was a nice touch!)

My experience, though, is that most people either (a) don't care about the cost and want the luxurious room with the extra amenities it comes with, (b) just like bragging to people that they stayed in a suite, or (c) luck into an upgrade like we did. 9 times out of 10, I wouldn't see the value in a suite vs a nice regular room unless the suite was a free upgrade.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I've asked this before and the prevailing answer is

1) More room to spread out; If you're in a hotel for 3+ Nights ... having more room to put stuff, (things you bought, food, luggage) is nice.
    2) More than 2 ppl (esp kids) in the room with you;
    3) Suites usually mean better location (in the hotel itself, corners, high floors etc); it adds to the experience of the trip. Or it is decorated better ...

To me; I agree with point #1; I dont have kids and #3 ... I'm not going to Paris just to sleep @ the Park Hyatt. I'm there to eat croissant, drink coffee & see the Mona Lisa. :)

4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I traveled with 3, it was nice to have the extra space in the suite. Traveling alone I only care about noise and bed comfort.

ella, IDGflygirl, Flyer1976 and 4 others like this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I'm traveling for work, having a dedicated workspace and a couch to relax on, a place to eat a carry-out dinner, etc. is nice. "Just a bed" is okay for a night, perhaps, but more is always better if it happens.

viguera, Flyer1976 and marcwint55 like this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

When traveling alone I like a separate work area, and when travelling with the wife, I can still work if she wants to sleep. If she does not get her sleep, I have to deal with a fire breathing dragon, and that totally spoils a vacation.

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree with James K.: I don't appreciate "suites" as much, unless, perhaps, they come with a full second bedroom or better amenities. A good example: Hyatt House (Summerfield Suites) properties, where a "suite upgrade" gets you a 2BR suite, or a Hilton Grand Vacations Club, where moving to 1 BR or larger gets you in-room laundry (oh, the luxury). In general, though, I think most hotels have similar quality rooms throughout, as least when measuring by in-room amenities and bed comfort, so I rarely see the point.

Perhaps unusually, my experience with Hyatt's suite upgrades has been underwhelming. The better ones have been outside corner rooms with nicer views (Grand Seattle, Grand San Diego) and the lamer ones have been inside corners (Grand Taipei), uselessly od rooms (Regency Orange County) or just two normal rooms, one set as a parlor, with a normal interconnecting door (Regency Vancouver).

8. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think a suite can be good for certain business meetings, certainly not all and it is nice if you are travelling with a friend or relative, eliminate having to buy two rooms but still have some space

to me it is only a true suite if there are 2 bathrooms, I would not have guests use an only bathroom

the only way for me to empty my free mini-bar at Intercontinental Hotels is to have guests

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confident you could find volunteers to help you with that. ;)

Flyer1976, marcwint55 and jonspencer like this.
  10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those folks who don't need an extra room or a dusty couch, the "upgrade" indeed is pure vanity. If the vain don't mind subsidizing the utilitarians, it work out well for everyone. :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This perfectly applies to me, especially if one also works a lot while on the road. My stays tend to be long (4+ nights) and, being in academia, work does not stop just because I am on the road -- it is usually part of the work! In fact, it is a great opportunity to do the sort of stuff -- writing or reviewing research grant proposals or scientific papers -- that I spend most of the time on as part of my daily work, without unwanted intrusions. A small room with a single tiny desk are simply not very compatible with such extended "working" stays.

This discussion is, in fact, highly germane because I just experienced both a standard room on the exec floor and a suite over the past three days. I arrived in Singapore on Thursday and explicitly requested a suite upgrade at check in at Hilton Singapore, as one who has stayed here 6 times in the last 3 years. I was told that there was no immediate availability, but that they expected suites to become available in a couple of days. This being a 9-night stay, I agreed to stay for two nights in a standard room on the exec floor and the next 7 in a suite, which became available this morning and it was...(a roll of the drum)... an "Executive Suite"! The difference between the suite and the standard room is like night and day. My mood has brightened up considerably and suddenly feel highly motivated to tackle my work! In short, more room to spread out for the next week is simply great. However, I am not preoccupied with suite upgrades to the point of needing to have them confirmed before I arrive. I leave it to chance and if I get upgraded, great; if not, it is no biggie, and that is precisely why it feels very sweet each time I get upgraded!
    That is definitely true for the suite that I was just upgraded into this morning. In fact, this is an outstanding upgrade because the HHonors T&C specifically state that "upgrades exclude executive suites." This exec suite is located at one end of the floor and spans the entire width of the building so that one has views of the city from both the bedroom and the living room. There is a large "master" bathroom accessible from within the bedroom and a smaller bathroom that is accessed from the living room There are desks in both the living room and bedroom for spreading out one's work. Unlike the standard rooms (even premium rooms with a balcony on the exec floor where I was usually upgraded in the past), which folks who have stayed at this property have characterized as "dated", this suite is extremely well maintained and looks hardly "dated". For the next 7 days, this will be my home away from home and I am very satisfied, even grateful, that it is a suite, so that, at this point, I can fully appreciate what the big fuss is about. Compared to where I had spent the first two nights, it is like, well, night and day...check it out.:);)

Executive Suite at Hilton Singapore:
    HILTON-SIN-E-SUITE.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    dstober, anileze, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  12. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    You see, looking at just the bedroom in the photos above, it looks like plenty of space to work. Obviously it's *better* to have the extra table, but that bedroom would seemingly suffice

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish I had taken a picture of the king deluxe room, but it is much smaller than the suite bedroom shown in the picture. For one thing, there is not enough room in the king deluxe to accommodate the half-sofa by the window, and one would have to bring the walls, especially at the foot of the bed, closer in to get a sense of what it feels like to be in the king deluxe room; definitely a lot more confining than in the suite bedroom.

For a 7-day stay, the suite makes a lot of sense!

14. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. I will also concede that I obviously don't know anything about the demands of your job and how much space it might occupy :)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  15. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it depends. My wife and I travel together, though she is most often working, while I am retired. A "suite" can be handy on many levels - one person taking a shower, and dressing, while another is sleeping. One person making coffee, and having a cup, while the other is sleeping. One person getting up in the middle of the night, and reading themselves back to sleep, while the other is sleeping. Lot's of similar scenarios there, at least for us.

We very often book a suite, and other than a few "one-night-stands," have seldom regretted doing so - regardless of who is the person up, while the other is sleeping.

Besides, I like to have a bit of room, and especially if we are in a room, more than one night.

KENNECTED, Flyer1976 and boondr like this.
  16. TravelerMSY

TravelerMSY Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have to ask, it's not for you.

17. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think not all hotel suites are created equal (keeping the brand chain and ratings level constant i.e JWM Marriott, or CrownPlaza etc. ). If the hotel itself is old fashioned and old styled, a suite helps, because our travel patterns have changed.

My last upgrade in London :( believed that 600 odd sq ft. place needed only three powerplug outlets. None by the bedside. So a laptop, an ipad, and ipod, two cell phones, battery charger for my camera battery....

But, if the standard room has enough outlets (and atleast one outlet next to the bedside table on each side of the bed ;) plus two by the work table ! I am happy.

These considerations apply to a solo traveler; Of course the criteria changes when there are >1 person or >2 persons in a room.

Of late, power outlets are my pet peeve !

18. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only been lucky enough to get upgraded to a suite twice (once was in Vegas, once in St Lucia) and it was a really nice treat to have the extra luxury! However, i've never paid extra for a suite and don't think i would. I've stayed in gorgeous luxurious hotels all over the world and never felt the need to upgrade just to be flash.

19. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just say the word and I'll be right over to drink the Bourbon/Scotch. ;)

marcwint55 likes this.
  20. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting take. May be why I tend to stay at SpringHill Suites. Smaller, cozy room with seperate work and sleep areas. I dont need an 1,100 square foot hotel suite when in on business trips myself.

ctporter and marcwint55 like this.
  21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife say I snore, we travel on business and meetings are show time.

Upper floors, comp food, extra room for private meetings, it's worth it, but then it is an expense, and we turn it in.

Add it up, and with the food cost savings it's worth it, as well as a few free drinks....beets sleeping in the bathroom..

22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me -- as with others on the thread -- it depends on the stay. On short stays, overnights or an airport hotel, I couldn't care less. Usually any old room will do, since chances are I won't spend any time in the room at all.

For long leisure stays, having a suite is nice. On "aspirational" redemptions, a suite is almost a must have. It's basically the reward you get for putting all the effort into status, and the reward for you loyalty to the program.

NYCUA1K and gaijin62 like this.
  23. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    There really is a difference when you have more than one person, or you are staying for more than one night at a hotel when staying in a standard room vs a suite. It also makes a difference if the trip is leisure or business or a combination. I too get "happier" when I have been upgraded, and when I am at a place for more than one night it makes a difference in my productivity. What I find most annoying is getting stuck in a room with two beds when I want a king. The two bed rooms always feel much more cramped for me, even when just for an overnight.

24. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am with you. If it's for but one night, I care about a good king bed, hot water, and a wake-up call - little else. However, it seems that I almost always get the mega-upgrade for my one-night-stands, when I would love one for that one-week stay... Still, it's not so bad, as it is for my wife. She does a lot of meetings, requiring an overnight stay. She normally books a king room, and lets it go at that. Then, she arrives and gets "Well, Mr. Trump isn't using his penthouse, so why don't we put you into it for the night?" I then get e-mail photos of her room, with two hot tubs, 270 degree views, a sunken living room, and full, stocked kitchen... " When I travel with her to those locations (usually Las Vegas here), we get a broom closet, though I am an elite loyalty member in most of the hotels' programs.

Especially in Europe, and the UK, we love suites, as we are used to a bit more room to move around, being from the US. That is one time, where I will pay extra $, for the suites.

viguera likes this.
  25. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's and individual experience. As a leisure traveler, who pays for status on his own dime, I appreciate the space of a suite. Being upgraded makes me feel as though my status is appreciated. I know that I can have friends over and entertain without them being in the bedroom and on the bed or using the same bathroom I use.

xhunter33x and viguera like this.