what's the best way to get from bangkok to bali on *a?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by karenkay, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    when i say 'best,' i'm talking both comfort and price. i can do it on thai in coach for about $500, but that seems crazy. anyone have any suggestions? is this a good route to use miles?

savydog likes this.
  2. The Thai Air flight is the only direct one in *A, and that flight tends to be expensive. You can fly on SQ with a stop in Singapore. If you really want to save money (and don't mind the potential hassle), Air Asia is an option as well; they have a direct flight although that obviously isn't in *A.

savydog likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    As far as comfort.. the TG flight is switching to 3-cabin aircraft and award availability in F is good...

MarkUK likes this.
  4. FLYGVA

FLYGVA Active Member

Status Points:
    Yep, but the dates I checked the TG flight had the old cabin, therefore I prefer the SQ flights via SIN (with the possibiliy for a transfer in SIN), but award availability on SQ SIN-DPS is a sometimes a bit of a problem.
    These are the only Star Alliance Airlines serving DPS. There is not really much of a choice,

savydog likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You'd prefer BKK-SIN-DPS in SQ business over BKK-DPS non-stop in TG F, even old cabin? Gotta factor in the TG F ground service too, even though it's a morning flight.. (I don't mind a massage in the morning! And why not a little lobster thermidor for brunch?)

6. FLYGVA

FLYGVA Active Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, but that is a personal thing. TG 431 is leaving BKK at 08:50 arrving at 14:,15 that means you have to leave the hotel around 06:00 to 06:30 and time it is too short to really enjoy the F ground service . So I would take the noon flight on SQ / TG to SIN stay a night there and try to get on SQ 942 departing 09:25 arriving 12:05.

I admit, that I usually book inner Asian C Awards, as the burn ration for the flight distance is quite good compared to Europe.

savydog likes this.
  7. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for all the responses. if i could find the availability, i'd be quite happy to redeem miles for C or F. will start looking! ^

8. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ana miles might be the way to go as the award is distance based. If you have amex points I would transfer them.

9. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    brilliant suggestion, thank you! if i could 'like' this more than once, i would. we have TONS of amex miles. ^

savydog and sithlord like this.
  10. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    No worries Karen! Also if you have friends who have skymiles you can use malaysian airlines.

savydog likes this.
  11. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    y
    m
    I'm a big fan of using miles in this way. It likely accounts for the preponderance of my miles spent!

12. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe you can transfer AMEX miles into KF and then book using their 15% online booking discount.

savydog and charlilo like this.
  13. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    to be clear, now that i'm actively looking, are you talking about using ana miles on TG? i can't get ana to show me routings from BKK-DPS.

never mind, i've got that working now. the next question is, should i go in biz or F? we have plenty of miles available, and i'm happy to transfer 'em into ANA to make that happen, but hate to be 'wasteful.' it's 43k a piece for biz, or 70k for F. suggestions?

14. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    If transferring to aeroplan may be only 30k in biz for some places in asia and continental maybe 30k as well.

15. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks! what i'm finding shows aeroplan at 60k for a biz reward. i do see 30k biz rewards possible on CO for saver pass in asia, but am not elite on CO so not getting them to show up as available.

i'm trying to decide if it's worth the miles to go in F rather than J/C. hmmm.

savydog likes this.
  16. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    United is 30k as well.

savydog and karenkay like this.
  17. Do you feel 30K is a good value for you ? I have never used an award ticket in Asia

bthobe likes this.
  18. Paiteaw
    Original Member

Paiteaw Active Member

Status Points:
    It is not that long of a flight. Guess it depends what type of massage you prefer pre departure, or how much you value your miles.

savydog likes this.
  19. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    well, it WOULD be 30k, but i just checked and it's a three cabin aircraft...so it's a 60k saver award in F (which is available, as is C, amazingly enough).

i was all excited for a few minutes when i thought it was 30k round trip. hmmm. decisions, decisions.

thanks for the assists, all. ^

savydog and Wanaflyforless like this.
  20. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    If C is avail then it would make sense that the 30k award is available.

21. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    60K for F BKK-DPS is not worth it (IMHO). If you have US miles it would be 40K for F (I think, although Indonesia is not listed with the other typical south Asia countries). Otherwise just pony up 30K for an intra Asia r/t in C and go through SIN if you can.

If using UA miles you can also book split your booking into 2 o/w's, leaving BKK in F and returning in C.

22. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks all for your help. i booked biz saver using ua miles, 30k round trip per ticket. feeling good about that. :)

savydog likes this.
  23. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Direct BKK-DPS or through SIN?

24. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    direct. as much as i like SIN, the direct flight made more sense this time. ^

25. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    you have chosen wisely...[​IMG]

savydog, kwai and karenkay like this.