What's the best way to get a local GSM SIM card when visiting Singapore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Satish Talim, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I am travelling to Singapore in April and wanted to know the best way to get a local GSM SIM card there. Information on what documentation I need to carry; where I will get this SIM card etc. will help.

2. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why are you looking for a local SIM card? I picked up a SIM card with a UK number from Mobal Communication. Their international rates are excellent and it now sits in an old unlocked phone. That brings up a point. Make sure you have your phone unlock code. It was another reason we ordered our card in advance. So the phone was unlocked and ready to go before our trip.

3. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm always in a quandry over the foreign SIM thing. If I keep my home SIM in the phone then I'm easily reachable by people in the US. But my friends where I'm visiting have to call the USA even I'm just a block away. It's not really fair to them. I finally decided to carry two phones, though I hate it.

4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couple years old but......

You should seriously consider picking up a local SIM for your unlocked GSM mobile. The one I used is from StarHub called a Green prepaid SIM. It goes for SG$18 and provides cheap local calls and SMS as well as many promos. For example they have free IDD to 14 countries which includes the US. Free 10 SMS after sending 5 in a day locally or internationally. It is possible to get both free, international and local each day.

Satish Talim likes this.
  5. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    By making use of Google Voice and Skype people from the US are able to reach me without a problem when I've just got the UK phone. I have Google Voice forward to my Skype number which in turn forwards to my UK phone. Since the Google Voice number is a US number it isn't an issue. Since Google Voice can't (or couldn't when I did it) forward to a UK number I had to use Skype as my go between.

6. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm getting a headache just thinking about that. :D

7. Thanks for the info. Here's some more info: