What's the best way to do this?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by pixiebudg, Apr 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. pixiebudg

pixiebudg New Member

Status Points:
    Hey There!

Since I'm new here, please be kind! :) I have some SPG points that I'd like to use on a round trip flight from SEA to MCO, as I won't need a hotel for the trip.

I'll be traveling with my 1 year old, so getting a direct flight seems to be the best option, which is available on Alaska Airlines.

At a 1:1 ratio it would cost 40,000 miles on Alaska, or if I book through LAN for a redemption on Alaska at a 1:2 ratio it would cost 54,000 kms (per the agent I spoke to). Is going through LAN the best option to get the most bang for my points?

I'm open to other non-direct flights as well. What would you guys do?

Thanks so much!

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello and welcome! Great first question, that I can offer no input on, but I am sure someone will.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all, if the flight is operated and marketed by Alaska, there's a good chance that there is more award inventory using Alaska rather than LAN miles. It is likely easier to book with Alaska and they would be easier to deal with if there are schedule changes, cancellations, or other problems.

However, I would still advise you not to use SPG points this way, especially if you can take relatively inexpensive flights.

Randy Petersen likes this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    New or not, we're kind and here's a G-R-E-A-T welcome to you.
    I might ask if you don't mind mentioning some other programs you might have some various balances with. While you might have your sight set on using SPG points, there might be other tweaks in redemption that might bring you additional value for redemption with.

Actually a good question and we'll have some very good advice for you.

5. pixiebudg

pixiebudg New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the responses! :)

I'm new to the points game, and since most of my previous business trips were paid with points owned by the company, I don't have a lot else but SPG. I have a handful of points with Delta and HHonors, but nothing to write home about, and not even close to a redemption.

Thanks again!

6. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were you looking to get two tickets or just one for you and lap infant the kiddo? If you wanted to get two tickets I would suggest getting the Alaska credit card and using the companion pass for you and your child and save the SPG points. If you wanted one free ticket and then lap infant the kiddo then transfer the points to Alaska. Just be aware that Alaska usually doesn't release super saver award space until a week or so before departure, at least on the more popular routes anyway. Another option may be to get the British Airways credit card. I believe the current bonus is still 50k points. That is two roundtrip tickets to MCO from SEA. Of couse you would still have to wait until the last minute when the saver awards become available.

Counsellor likes this.