What's the best way for a casual traveler to score cheap business class tickets consistently?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by SlowTravel, Jul 12, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. SlowTravel

SlowTravel Member

Status Points:
    My friend is getting old for economy (understandable in this day and age of flying), but he'd still like to take a few extended vacations per year. He is not really a wizard of credit cards. Can an old dog learn new tricks, and does it worth it, for his use case? At worst, there is always an 80/20 solution for everything, I thought. (What's the 20% of work you can do which yields in 80% of the results?)

I learned about this (now it seems to be discontinued, and anyways unsustainable) trick on how to score nearly unlimited business class tickets for $500 a piece. My friend doesn't even need unlimited of them, and the $500 a piece price may be just too good to be true, anyways.

What best practice actions could you best recommend to my friend? I thought this was an OK way to break my silence, 6 months after my registration.

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might have him attend a FTU siminar, spend a few bucks, and invest in himself.

At 76 I am flexible, on my departure dates, and have been playing the game over 20 years, started in the late 80s, and still picked up a few tricks at the FTU.

The best thing he can do, is do it himself, as others do not know his situation, and probably never will.

In the old days you primed the pump and keep pumping to get the water to flow, you did not ask anyone else, nor did you just talk about it.

It still works today,

alfagirl and othermike27 like this.
  3. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FTUs can help him.
    Your friend just needs to be flexible on destination and dates and persistence does pay off. I check at least once a day and when the price gets where I want it, I do the 24 hour hold (it is free on AA, but the way AA has been treating me lately, by not refunding unauthorized charges, that option may be out). I got 2 first class LAX-CDG, 777 W for $2,400 per person round trip, all-in.
    You can find inexpensive business fares, but I would check the airline and aircraft for the $500 tix since if something is too good to be true.......

4. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just use google flights these days. Add lots of original airports and destination airports, and something cheap usually comes up.

When I was traveling to India on business, I found ex-YVR, YYC, YYZ was usually very cheap compared to any original airport in the USA.

Next week I am going to FCO on AA, and am paying around $2500 by re-positioning to YYC. It was booked less than 30 days away. Despite ex-USA flights to Europe on short notice pricing out at $7000, I had 99% confidence I'd find something.

The general rule is if an airline and its partners are not strong in both the origin and destination market, then a bargain is business class is more likely. But expect more connections to get it. Consider the extra connections and layovers to be part of the fun of the vacation.

Someone who is retired and thus more flexible can be more patient.

alfagirl likes this.
  5. gneal

gneal Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm a senior newbie also. Can you share with us the meaning of the acronym FTU?
    Thanks.

6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flyer talk university,

2 or 3 days of meetings and sharing ideas.

I have meet some great people, who have accomplished a lot, and I have meet some who are going to do it, someday...

When I started my business, I had no credit, so credit card was the way to go, back then United had a 10k limit, per month, so U applied for more United Cards, and the game was on..

Dumpster diving for AirTran cups, Coins from the Mint, and etc, as the game changes so does the way you play it..

The average person will never believe you, so we take pictures, many here has had some amazing rides..

Dublin_rfk likes this.