What's the best Op-Up you ever had?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Tiki, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last Sept, we were on an award in Y on CX/IB using AA miles: MNL-HKG-LHR-MAD-TFN. We were only Golds but very pleasantly surprised to find ourselves upgraded to J on the HKG-LHR. We had run into HKG for sightseeing and had through boarding passes to LHR so didn't find out until we were actually boarding at the gate. The scanner beeped and a smiling lady handed us 2 new boarding passes for J! I thought I had died and gone to heaven!

I put this in the AA forum because it was an AA award ticket, don't know if the mods want to move it?

tom911 likes this.
  2. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a sweet one, for sure. Lucky you!

I have a few run of the mill domestic op-ups, nothing like yours. ;)

Tiki and gemac like this.
  3. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were booked STL-ORD-NRT-PEK in deep discount economy, upgraded with eVIPs into business. Got a call three hours before our STL departure time that the STL-ORD had been cancelled, and we were rerouted STL-LAX-NRT-PEK, the STL-LAX left an hour earlier, and we should hustle out to the airport. We did, and found that we had been OP-UPed from business to first - the semi-mythical double upgrade! 5500 miles in 3-class F! It was very nice.

Tiki and Chamonix like this.
  4. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown something like 700+ lifetime segments on AA, most as either GLD or PLT, and never gotten a op-up.

On the other hand, I've flown just 1 segment on the now-defunct Vegas-based National Airlines, and was op-up'ed to F "to thank me for being a loyal member of their frequent flyer program", which I'd signed up for a few days earlier.

John777 and icurhere2 like this.
  5. ORDflyer
    Original Member

ORDflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an easy one. I had upgraded my spouse and I from coach to J from MAD-MIA using SWU's. When we boarded an Agent was there to hand us two First Class Boarding passes. I was EXP at the time, but still not expecting that.

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was on an AA business class award ticket with a segment LHR-ORD with a friend that had never flown in business class before (for years I had promised her a ticket to Europe in business class so she could try it out). She went up the the counter at the departure gate just ahead of me, and turned around and told me the agent wanted to speak with me. As I approached I could see some boarding passes on the counter and I said to her "I think something good is about to happen". Sure enough, upgrade to F. It's a flight she still remembers.

The other time was when I volunteered to be bumped out of AA business class, upgraded with a systemwide, JFK-LHR. They did not select me even though I just had carry on. They did sooth my aggravation of not getting a $500 bump voucher some by moving me up to F.

I'm on so many two-class 767-300 or 757 flights now to Europe that there really aren't many opportunities to get rolled forward any more for me.

I've had a couple comped upgrades on Qantas to either premium economy or business along the way, too.

7. studio76
    Original Member

studio76 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had 3 C (using VIP's from Y tickets) to F upgrades from the US to LHR in the past 3 years. Two of those have ended up crediting as F...

My favourite op up trip was still on CX. LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-LAX where only the BKK-HKG sector remained in Y. CX has been very good to me over the years where I have at least a 30% op up rate...

Tiki, gemac and magic111 like this.
  8. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have one daily double. NRT-LAX. Was using a vip from econ and was moved to 1st

Flew QF on a $600 fare and was upgraded to Premium economy going and Business on the return.

But the number one has to be while on an American Airlines vacation package to Vegas received an upgrade to a high roller suite in the Paris hotel. The rooms did not have numbers but were named after cities in France. We recieved "Nice" [​IMG]

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice!

BenjaminNYC and magic111 like this.
  10. In over 10 years of being exp from the onset of the program I have never had an op up. I guess you are all much luckier than I am. The closest thing to an op up I had was when 763's were 3 class and from cdg to Mia I had a POS that was into my seat and they let me sit as the only person in F with J service. Best luck in the future!

11. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I had one going back from LHR in 2005. I was going LHR-JFK-LAX and they instead gave me LHR-LAX nonstop in J. I got my VIP back (they were paper at the time) and I gave it away in coupon connection on FT to someone who was doing a long haul. [​IMG]

AnthonyB1609, Tiki and Chamonix like this.
  12. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bumped from J to F on CX for Sfo- Hkg. Made to order eggs for breakfast. Who would have thought it.

AnthonyB1609 and Tiki like this.
  13. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    LHR-ORD many years ago on a Sunday afternoon. Had bought the cheapo $500 fare and upgraded using the old VIP2s; those were not capacity controlled and booked straight into J. So when the coach cabin oversold and they had to start rolling people forward, as an EXP on what appeared to a full J booking class, we got rolled into F and the then relatively new Flagship Suites.

AnthonyB1609, Tiki and Chamonix like this.
  14. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry it's not on AA but we used to fly LHR-YUL a lot (5-6 times a year) on BA as a family of four (two small kids two adults). We would usually book their WT+ (premium economy) product back in the days when they used to use a 4 class 777 on this route. I truly cannot remember ever sitting in WT+ we were literally always bumped to business, all four of us. I think in reality we were running about a 75% bump rate. I was not at all surprised when they changed it to 3 class replacing F with a bunch of coach seats. Maybe it was a trick all along as after that I started actually paying for the biz seats :)

Actually my first ever bump was on this same route way back in 1999 when they used 747-200s on the route with the old cradle seats. But it was three of us (myself, Mrs MA before we were married and my sister) and we all got bumped up and sat on upper deck. Beautiful ride!

I have yet to have an op-up on AA

gemac likes this.
  15. airoli
    Original Member

airoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    Edit - I just noticed that I posted in the AA forum. Doh! Serves me right for coming to this thread via the "show all new topics" function. Sorry! [​IMG]

--
    As a LH *G, I was booked in C on Singapore Airlines from SYD to SIN, with an onwards connection on LH to FRA: When I checked in with SQ in SYD, I asked to change my seat to a window but was told that this was not possible as the flight was heavily overbooked. Considering my 8h projected layover in SIN, I offered to take the later SQ flight from SYD, which still made my connection.

A note was made, and I was eventually called and asked if I would still be willing to volunteer. When I confirmed, I was rebooked on the later SQ flight and SQ unexpectedly paid me, cash on the spot, a couple of hundred AUD in denied boarding compensation. I was happy at this point - although I was still booked in an aisle seat.

When I got to board the later flight, the gate agent called me aside and said "Sir, we found a window seat for you after all. And it has an aisle as well" - 3F. :D

16. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're still in beta so I wouldn't worry. Site doesn't go public for another 2 weeks. Everyone is still sorting out the features, and it's hard to believe we're only seeing about 30% of what the software offers.

gemac likes this.
  17. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FRA-DFW about 3 years ago flight was overbooked and was moved from J to F.

gemac and Chamonix like this.
  18. Alan in CBR
    Original Member

Alan in CBR Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a bunch of memorable ones. QF SYD-LAX from a terrible seat in Y to J (oversold in Y). A double upgrade IAD-LHR on BA from World Traveller to Club World, LHR-SYD on BA from World Traveller Plus to Club World (a couple of times), and NRT-LHR on BA from Club World to First.

I still smirk when people say that BA almost never give op-ups, although I realise I just went through an incredibly lucky phase and will probably never receive another op-up in my life.

19. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best opup we had when travelling on J Aawards NRT-LAX in 2006.Neither mrslatrobe or myself had any status-we had signed up with Aadvantage as we flew regularly on JAL before they joined OW, you could get AA miles but not status.We were firmly ensconced in seats 10A,B when the gate agent boarded saying Mr latrobe there is a problem with your boarding passes.I immediately feared the worst until I saw the BPs in her hand with Row 2.
    Was good for AA too-now firmly entrenched and rapidly closing in on 2 million miles.

20. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, best I think would be booked LAX-SFO-DFW-LHR in discount Y, with VIP confirmed into J. Fog in SFO meant the connection was not likely and the LAX-DFW was oversold, so rebooked LAX-LHR nonstop in J. Boarded and GA came back to me, "Sorry, ... we need to move you" and hands over 1A. And the VIP never got pulled.

21. dtc

dtc Active Member

Status Points:
    I was doing a Gold challenge in March 2003 and was returning stateside LHR-ORD. It was the opening of the Iraq War and travel wasn't too popular. My buddy and I got upgraded to J on a 767 - but honestly it wasn't that great as it was bulkhead, center, and the glare on the projection screen was really bright, even for sleeping.

My best was an Op Up from NRT-HKG on a AA codeshare on Cathay metal in late 2004 as a Plat. F on a 747! It was one of those lost in translation moments: the transfer agent at NRT (whose command of English was... mild) kept asking me if I was ok with going "upstairs" - I had no idea what she meant. And then I knew.

22. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    The very best opup I've had is from Y to C on JAL from ICN-NRT. ;) Never ever on AA.

23. I was able to fly non-rev on AA for awhile, so everytime I got a F seat on an international flight, it felt like an Op-Up.

I would say I have 1 great (not traditionally defined as an Op-Up) and 1 good Op-Ups:

1. Flying LHR-JNB on BA in J on miles, but decide at the last minute to upgrade to F with my buddy and catch a same day flight to JNB (instead of staying in London for a day). AA put me in F on the BA flight and we spent the day in the BA Concorde lounge living large. Best "op-up" part is that the flight was booked into real inventory so I received EQMs for the leg.

2. Flying LHR-ORD and had a gifted eVIP clear moving me into J. The GA at LHR decided she wanted my seat (next to an open seat) for a couple of other guys, so she moved me up to F. (I typically read the whole time on the flight back from Europe, so the op-up was sort of wasted on me as I would have been just as happy in J).

Gargoyle likes this.
  24. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AF, CDG-ORD, flying with Mrs. Gargoyle. I was DL PM, she was DL FO at the time. Asked the CDG GA very politely about whether there was any chance of an upgrade. She answered with a curt "no", I smiled and thanked her. A minute later she finished up our check-in and handed us our BP's. As we walked away I glanced at them and did a double take when I saw we were in Affaires.

25. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    what the??