What's the best Lounge in IAH available to UA *Gold on a domestic?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EndlosLuft, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never flown through Houston. What lounge would you recommend for a 2 hour domestic wait between flights?

Best,

EndlosLuft

2. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO PC Terminal E is usually a favorite because it's the largest and nicest aesthetically.

Though there's really not much difference in terms of amenities between all the PC's at IAH. IAH E has showers, one of the C's does as well, and the A PC has no restrooms inside the club.

3. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a domestic connection, a UA *G won't have access to any of the PClubs at IAH.

4. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're a UA *Gold on a solely domestic itinerary without a paid lounge membership, you won't get lounge access.

5. Which is unfortunate that American Express and Continental had to end their partnership due to the merger with United. Now they are deep in Chase's side of the playing field. At least the new $200 airline fee credit for AMEX Platinum and Centurion members soften the blow - buy some day passes with it.

6. Pathetic amount, since club membership costs double. Must have been the average that AMEX was paying CO per cardmember.

7. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying domestic, you'll need a non-CO/UA/US star gold card for entry....if you do, terminal E is nice if convenient...showers there. Otherwise use the closest President's Club. IMHO it's not worth it to go too far out of your way to go to Terminal E unless you need showers.. There are no non-CO/US/UA star gold lounges at IAH that you could use.

8. I agree it's a small amount, but it's not because it's the average amount AMEX was paying CO. They have agreements with DL, AA and US too for lounge access - along with other benefits regarding travel and outside of the flying realm. I would wager that AMEX pays much much less than $200 for their relationship with CO.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AmEx pays CO (and the other carriers) per customer visit, not a flat rate. The number used to be around $18 per entrance. I would imagine that it is still in that ballpark given that the *A rate is around $20-22 per visit.

10. Yeah, so since some visit way more than 10 times a year, and most visit way less, like I said above, $200 is probably around the average they pay per year per Plat/Cent card member.

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Amex added US Airways lounge access right before announcing the loss of Continental. And unlike other lounges in the program, US Airways lounge access doesn't require US Airways same-day travel.

Amex wasn't going to be able to re-up their Continental deal once the merger with United was real, Chase would never allow it. And not only is Chase the issuer of the co-branded card with each, Chase acquired the bank that provided the debtor-in-possession financing to United's bankruptcy... Chase provided the exit financing for United's bankruptcy.. Chase pre-purchased half a billion dollars worth of United miles. There was no way that Chase would allow Amex cards to be a good way to obtain UA miles.

And of course the $200 benefit applies not just to folks who used to use CO lounges, but toa ll members.

Whether or not this giveback works for you is a personal issue that will help determine whether the value proposition of the card remains worthwhile, of course.

12. Again, I have to disagree on this. I highly doubt the average visit per Platinum and Centurion member is 10-12 visits a year for one single club. I used to have the total U.S. card membership for both charge cards, but don't know where I placed it. Regardless, the annual fee for these cards are highly profitable for AMEX. There is no business logic if people were indeed going to lounges that often. It's comparable to frequent flier miles - a small subgroup of people use the program efficiently whereas trillion amounts of miles are sitting idly in accounts before it eventually expires.

The same can be said for the airline fee credit benefit. Only a small subset of poeple will take advantage of this, and even smaller who will take advantage of the entire $200 credit. You can extrapolate that to conclude that there is no way it cost AMEX $200 per cardmember.

There are many people who own the cards and use it for other reasons outside of flying. I own both cards and while the lounge access are nice, it is not the sole reason I own the card - and I consider myself an avid flying enthusiast. A lot of my colleagues who own these cards never even use the lounge benefits, much less fly.

13. Axey
    Original Member

Axey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since it's automatic, any semi-frequent traveler will use this credit up in no time. It's February and I've blown through more than half of mine already. And I haven't traveled much.

14. Yeah, you're probably right.

15. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Supposedly, Amex wanted t:) keep the relationship as it was. My guess is that CO's relationship with Chase and the merger with UA is what caused CO to pull out.

16. Concur.

17. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    Prior to CO joining *A, I had successfully talked my way into the contract lounge that LH uses in Terminal D with my AC *G card. I walked by it on Thursday and saw that the LH sign is still up, but since I got access to the PC in Terminal A I never bothered to try again.

18. Why doesn't LH use the PC's?

19. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    They certainly could, but the contracted lounge is in Terminal D and had better food and beverage options. To be honest, I was surprised that they kept it after CO joined *A, but the big LH banner was up when I walked by on Friday.

20. Surprised too.