Whats the best first class from ny to lax

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by shaul718, Jul 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. shaul718

shaul718 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I would like to know which airline has the best first class Flying from new york to Los angeles

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi shaul....welcome to MP.

You ask an interesting question. Beginning next year, only one carrier will offer First Class between JFK and LAX...AA. UA offers it now, but is being phased out. Several offer enhanced Business Class options; perhaps rather than asking about First Class, you really are open to any premium cabin?

As to which is best, it depends on what matters to you. Food? Seat width? Avod? Premium lounge access?

Here is a comparison which lays out your various options in some details.

http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/the-transcontinental-business-class-comparison.html

Please let us knw which option you select!

kw335, Sunshine7, wrxmom and 2 others like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. shaul718

shaul718 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    Thanks for the response. I'm looking for one that has a lie flat seat

5. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe there are any carriers offering lie flat on domestic flights.

6. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA offers a once (maybe twice?) a day lie flat on a 757 from LAX-EWR. You have to make sure to check the seat map on your particular flight to make sure you get it. Also, if looking to do it on miles/upgrade it is apparently (not first hand experience) a very tough flight to get on.

7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Qantas.. but you need to be on an international itinerary to ticket.

8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well UA is transitioning to a 2-class configuration with flat beds though don't hold your breath that it is ready to go anytime before 2013. UA currently has a space pod in F on their ps flights which is technically lie flat -- similar to LH C if you are familiar.

If I was paying though I would lean towards Virgin. I had a really pleasant time with them and they in my mind truly get the service component up front.

9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Current UA ps (premium service) on JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO have lie flat seats in First and the old-style international business class seats, sometimes referred to as Barcoloungers. Both are substantially more comfortable than standard domestic first class seats.
    Sometime next year UA will be switching to 2-class service, and the top tier will be called BusinessFirst, and those seats will be full lie flat seats.

I believe that AA's first class seats on the same route are angled lie-flat, but I am not certain as I haven't flown them. I believe that DL only offers 2-class with a Barcolounger product, and that all other airlines have domestic configurations.

Probably UA and AA have the best offering currently and into the future.

11. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel that AA is probably the better choice on this route.

My wife regularly does that trip on American and is always sitting next to a famous person. (that may just be the luck of the draw). When I do this route on United it tends to be more business people. I feel that I often run into people I work with, but few celebrities. (Again just the ok of he draw).

12. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not just an international itinerary, an international itinerary where Qantas is taking you from L.A. So you'd have to be connecting to SYD or MEL.

The only 2 domestic F products are AA (2-1-2 on the 767) and UA (2-2 on the 757). The UA product is angled lie-flat, but they are taking out F on this route within the next few months (starting this fall, I believe). AA has older recliners but generally has better service. In a bit over a year, AA will have A320s with 1-1 that will be lie-flat, but that's not for a while.

When it comes to business class on these routes ... haven't tried UA, but have DL 2x LAX-JFK and AA 1x JFK-LAX. I'd give DL the edge with seat and food.

13. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does having celebrities on board make a product better? My local Starbucks in L.A. isn't any better than the one here in Denver, but it does have celebrities.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  14. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if it does. The question was what's the best first class from NYC to LA. Everyone has a different description of best for them. Many times when people are curious about the best first class product they are interested in a special experience. For some people, it is fun to be able to update their Facebook status with nuggets of their conversation w/ Bill Murray, or namedrop the Victoria Secret Models that were in the cabin on their flight.

My mother in law will call her friends in Seattle from our local LA Starbucks and say hey I'm standing next to Eddie Murphy. Does it make it a better starbucks, no? Is it a special experience for her certainly.

skyvan likes this.
  15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    which one is this? I want on!

hopscotch1 and daemon14 like this.
  16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, you can get their Word With Friends handle and keep in touch with them.

17. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    American Airlines LAX to JFK. A couple of years ago. Right before the big fashion show that they do.

It wasn't me on the plane it was my wife. So, I am just as jealous as every other guy.

edekba likes this.
  18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note to self .....

hopscotch1, desamo and edekba like this.
  19. shaul718

shaul718 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone!

20. andysiz

andysiz Active Member

Status Points:
    And I'd add that UA Business PS has the edge over Delta Business LAX-JFK/JFK-LAX on seat/food (Delta, though, has better IFE -- UA just gives you cheap handheld tablets, similar to AS -- and you generally get a little more attention since Delta has far fewer business seats on the plane than United does).

21. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
  22. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unforunately, 2 of those posts are mis-dated ... the United post focuses on a product that will be taken out over the next few months (First and Business will become 1 BusinessFirst class), while the American post focuses on a product that won't show up for at least a year. :confused:

DestinationDavid likes this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And a decent chunk of the UA post is incorrect even about the current product. But people keep citing him as a valid source so the cycle will perpetuate itself.:(

ETA: If the OP really wants a flat bed then AA is going to be best, I think. The current UA product is just OK; I think the new one will be better, even if only marketed as C. The VX option is nice but not fully flat.

24. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Concerning anything United, I'll take your word over many others' :)

25. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new UA C will be CO BF seats, right? Should be decent for a flat-bed. I think VX is the same as DL's seat, which isn't amazing, but still does the job on the east-bound redeyes.

Even if UA is C, it's important to note that transcon C is much nicer than regular old domestic F. So if OP means "first class" in terms of "better than coach," transcon C will be good enough.