What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by birmie, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Our names have been run together on our etickets. e.g. MARYJANE SMITH instead of Mary Jane Smith. Does this matter? Is it usual?

flyingdawg and Gargoyle like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I notice this a lot and it does not seem to matter. Sometimes the capitalization looks funny too.

flyingdawg likes this.
  3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's funny - I just had this happen with AA. When I was on with an AA rep for a different reason, she noticed this, and I asked if it would cause a problem. She said it happens from time to time and shouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming the TSA and ICE will be able to deal (international trip) but I hate that it's wrong.

FWIW, I had to book using obscure points through some not-brilliant travel agent who clearly blew it.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    DL always smushes the middle initial with the first name, which causes some confusion on code shares with partners. it has never caused a TSA or ICE problem.

For example, John S. Doe becomes Johns Doe.

flyingdawg and schnitzel like this.
  5. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard birmie, enjoy MP !

6. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my travelers is Justin A last name and his becomes Justina on the boarding pass, gives us a laugh and the security folks too!

YULtide and Gargoyle like this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband's name does this sort of thing when his middle initial prints on his tickets, giving his otherwise masculine name a feminine riff. It's actually been questioned a couple of times internationally, but ultimately they "get it" and let him past security.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's happened to me a few times too, but never causes so much as a raised eyebrow. Most forms of my ID have my middle name on them, so it's pretty obvious what happened.

9. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok - here's another angle. Technically, I have two middle names.

I guess, years ago, I used one initial somewhere, rather than the one I typically use. Now I have a flight on Delta that has that middle initial. I think it auto-populated from my ancient SkyMiles account and I missed changing it (since done).

So the ticket has that middle initial - and it's not on my driver's license or passport.

Problems?

10. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This thread made me realize how happy I should be for not having any middle name.

TheBeerHunter and schnitzel like this.
  11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No booking agent ever gives you a hard time for that? I've tried to act like I don't several times, and they always push and insist and I cave.

12. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never had any problem what so ever. I just say I don't have one if any one bother to ask. Most of the time they just pull the information that is already in their system.

13. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    No middle name in English for me either and no issues anywhere.

14. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I'll start trying that. My passport has a middle name in it, but I don't see how I can get into a problem with NOT having it on my airline tix.

15. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the most important aspect of all is, whether the frequent flyer program accepts the name as written on the ticket and that the miles/points will post without intervention. I've had to fight it once due to an error on their own part (FIRST M LAST was ticketed as FIRSTM LAST).

16. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What airline?

17. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it was AA. Long story short, a vendor purchased the ticket for me. They did not enter the FF# at the time of purchase. I had a hard time adding my number onto the PNR due to the name dispute.

18. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - that's kind of what I have going on. But I got the FF#s in, so I've cleared that hurdle. I'm still a little worried about the TSA and ICE, but not too much.

This is why we all need a 20 character unique ID code. I welcome our forthcoming robot overlords.

mailbroad and Menashe like this.
  19. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife has her middle name in full on her passport, but just an initial on her driver's license, so I put down her name differently when we travel internationally. It almost always comes out as FIRSTM LAST for domestic and FIRSTMIDDLE LAST for international. We've never had trouble with either FF or TSA/airline boarding. I've also seen a variation when traveling on British Airways: it shows prints "Mr." after my name like "LAST, FIRSTMR". And the oddest was on Singapore, where my first name ("Menashe") came out like "He Menas" (no problem at the airport either...) Does anyone know if "He" is a form of title, like "Mr." in any Asian language? Or did their software just assume that the last two letters of my first name was a title?

schnitzel likes this.
  20. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's because if it's smooshed together like that, it was entered as a compound first name and not as first and middle. AA's system doesn't permit spaces (or hyphens or apostrophes, among other things) in names. So JANE M SMITH would be first, middle, last, where JANEM SMITH would be first, last and no middle.

21. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA inserts Ms. on my ticket after my 1st name, so my tickets reads "3day/bkMs.

Consequently, I've gotten calls from the UA computer about flight changes that request to speak with "bk milliseconds 3day"

22. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    And for me it's "goalieMiddlename LastnameMR" and when HAL calls me, it get the same but with my first and middle names pronounced as one (and give HAL credit as I have a French middle name and he pronounces it right ;))

wrxmom likes this.