What's good about US

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Juanefny, Feb 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so since the merger seems like a done deal and it looks like US management will lead, I would like to know why you fly US and what you like about it? Sell me on US! :)

mo26, jbcarioca, akcae and 1 other person like this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Envoy class is nice on A330s.

They are getting wifi on most of their fleet done this year.

They have nice A321s.

Other than that they are not a leading airline. They have lackluster hard product: bad AVOD, bad meal policy, limited power options.

They have industry trailing rules for customer tickets and FFP.

They have inconvenient hubs - not one is in a top 5 MSA market and being a few 100 of miles from the key coastal MSA centers is not convenient.

They lack robust online self service features/services.

Staff are hit and miss at every airline so I will leave that off the table. They just feel antiquated compared to DL or UA and they don't have a customer focus like AA (who also feels long in the tooth at times).

sobore, jbcarioca and JetsettingEric like this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well until recently the mile rewards in business to Europe was a great deal.

I've had really good service from the FA's on every flight i've been on and better than AA on average.

For me it's been the easy of obtaining miles and getting rewards. It's like the Delta program with available seats.

The bad things are the lack of metal going to Asia or other places limits the rewards. The hubs could be better. I don't mile being forced to hub on the east coast but pick either PHL or CLT not both. Make one the hub for the east coast and maybe add another hub in the midwest like Chicago, STL or DFW. The AA deal will make this happen.

sobore, jbcarioca and akcae like this.
  4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    • US runs a reliable operation. Maybe this makes me simple, but this is a big deal to me. I just checked my flightmemory.com stats, and as of yesterday, I've flown 187 flights on US in the past three years. These encompass all regions of the country, dozens of flights through each of PHX/CLT/DCA/PHL, as well as flights to Europe. Out of those 187, I haven't had a single cancellation, nor a single misconnect due to a late flight. I can't even think of the last time that I had a flight that was more than 10 minutes late, because it so rarely happens. I truly can build my schedule around the operational reliability of the airline (meaning, I'm comfortable taking the last flight of the day, knowing it's going to be on time; I can book 45 minute connections with confidence so that I can minimize my connecting time in airports, etc).
    • Great success with complimentary upgrade rates. Granted, this will probably be impacted in a merger as the number of elites changes, but having spent time pre-US doing some flying on UA and being an elite on DL, I truly believe US elites, in general, have a better shot of sitting up front than elites on other carriers, particularly in the lower tier of elites. I've been Platinum for the last three years, and I clear upwards of 90% of my flights, and that's usually traveling Monday morning/Thursday-Friday evening, and a decent number of transcons. I have colleagues who are Platinum on DL who are lucky if they're 40th on the upgrade waitlist after the F cabin has checked in full. Similarly, I'm often seated next to Silvers or Golds in F, whereas again, I feel like a Gold on UA or DL rarely ever sniffs F.
    • As an elite, I feel like I'm treated well. I find the preferred phone agents to be exceedingly friendly and willing to help, GA's/customer service agents at the airport are always willing to be helpful and creative when plans change or weather looks like it may impact a flight, and by and large, the FA's on each flight are friendly and provide good service. There's a mediocre experience every now and then, but by and large, I really can't complain.
    • They fly where I need to go. Again, this is not true for everyone across the board, but I've lived most of my life in various places on the East Coast, and US has a great route network out here. There are good frequencies, logical connections, and service to small markets that AA, UA, and sometimes even DL don't serve.
    By no means is US perfect, and there are certainly areas in which I'd like to see them make some changes, but overall, I've had a lot more positives than negatives, and have been happy making them my preferred airline these past few years.

mattsteg, sobore, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Echo a lot of what people say here...some of my top favorites.

Upgrades - fantastic upgrade %. It's been a long time since i sat in US coach that is not a 50 seat express plane

Operations - Very reliable operation. Lack of major hub in delay prone areas (NYC). Fantastic baggage system, bags make very tight connections. New airplanes help with this.

IRROPs - Nothing feels better than walking off a plane that is delayed (happens a lot because i'm NYC based) and having new boarding passes waiting for you at the gate. UA has improved a lot since 3/3 in this area...

Glenlivet.. enough whining about 2 bottles of single malt scotch per plane.. you can have 2 on US as a PDB.

Soup in the lounge.

6. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is very helpful. I guess the biggest two things I hope we don't lose over at the AA side... warm meals on shorter flights and useful SWUs...

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most things people have mentioned, but here's my take (as US CP; AA EXP; DL DM):

1. The A330 Envoy class seats are great; about the equal of DL's new business class and AA's new business class
    2. On my routes US is often priced at half or even 1/3 of other carriers. NOTE: They have had only a single daily GIG-CLT flight until recently, now there is a GRU-CLT flight too.
    3. On board service is as good as any US carrier IME
    4. Call center service is quite good for PC anyway.
    5. On time performance is very good, teh best of US carriers IME.
    6. Domestic is pretty good too, with A320-series rather than the mixed old bag of AA, UA and DL.
    7. Easy to get PC or other elite through challenges.
    8. Charlotte hub is about the easiest customs/immigration/baggage claim in the US IME. (they now have GE too)

Negatives:
    1. No showers in the Club at CLT
    2. Only a negative if your preference is for international sophistication. US is definitely Southern US with acute PHX/CLT references. depending. Even their tiny number of multilingual/bi-lingual FA's are obviously of that genre. No problem really.
    3. The coffee and meals are pretty poor, maybe worse than any other carrier I regularly fly.

sobore likes this.
  8. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a bit disingenuous, since they do have the 6th MSA as a hub and the 7th as a focus city.

I agree with your post in general, but I have to take some exception with this point as it pertains to PHL. At certain times of the year, PHL can be a complete disaster for cancellation and misconnects. I'm not sure exactly how many I've had, but its more than 2 in a similar sample size.

My predictions are that you will in fact lose warm meals on shorter flights. I can't decide if they will stick with the unlimited free upgrade model of US or move to a more coupon based model like AA. If I'm forced to guess, I'd bet they end up with a hybrid model with domestic upgrades remaining free to all elites like US and international flights using coupons like US already provides to CPs.

JetsettingEric likes this.
  9. Travel Greg

Travel Greg Active Member

Status Points:
    I am happy with US. I acheived Silver status with US in November of 2012. Since then I have flown on 5 US segments. I have been upgraded to first class on two of the segments. The other 3 I was able to get the exit row (free of charge).

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two quick follow-on comments here.

I disagree with the inconvenient hubs- Let's take NYC, LA and San Fran. Both are very fragmented markets with bad traffic problems. Many new yorkers, love LGA and hate JFK/EWR (car from midtown can take a while with traffic). With a hub in PHL, i can fly from LGA to PHL to wherever. In addition, this also applies for HPN which is a very wealthy area, plus ISP and SWF as service the broader NYC area. Same argument for all the LA area airports. I can be stuck on the 405 or fly from SNA to PHX to my final destination. SJC and OAK vs. SFO to PHX for SF. The fixed banks work really well for US for these type of customers. Last but not least, their star partner UA has hubs in EWR, SFO, LAX and ORD. If you really need to fly directly, you have an easy alternative.

US has call centers in the US which is very helpful. US has not invested as much in technology as UA has, but it provides a different experience. I actually like talking to an agent and prefer not to be directed to a machine. EWR provides great contrast. There isn't a kisok at US.. but a bazillion kisoks for UA and good luck talking to an agent.

11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like US for numerious reasons.

-Lots of frequencies for east coast flyers up and down the right coast with good flight schedules trans-con (though I wish they would add a PHX-BOS red-eye)
    -Competitive pricing.
    -Great recognition and high upgrade percentage as an elite.
    -Their Envoy suite ROCKS...even Cathay and AA are copying it.
    -International economy product is even solid.
    -Nice fleet of airplanes (once they get rid of those last remaining 734's.)
    -Wi-Fi fleet wide domestically on anything over 50 seats.
    -FC on large regional jets.

I hope those two things stay as well.

12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, I forgot this one when I originally responded, but here's something I love about US compared to AA: No fee for elites to do a same day confirmed move up to an earlier flight!

Juanefny likes this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has the same thing for their 1Ks and Platinums.

14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:

No WX, or just not counting it? Seems like a lot of flights to not have any mishaps. Are regional flights included as well?

My general perception has been that US pads schedules more than others, but to be honest that most likely comes down to the morning flight MSP-PHX being blocked at half an hour longer (I checked, and it was only the one flight with generous padding) than any other flights between the 2 cities on US or DL. I've had this flight leave an hour late due to crew rest requirements and arrive on time...

Out of a DL hub, US airways distinguishes itself by often having very cheap last minute and 1-week purchase fares.

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that the thread is about the merger, one would assume he's comparing against AA.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Wandering Aramean and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  16. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say DL and AA (and Cathay) equal the US Envoy seat as they were the first to install this seat in their aircraft. It is a pretty great international biz seat:)

Dreamworks likes this.
  17. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    It peeves me that people call it the Cathay seat. Cathay people weren't like "Oh we're so glad we're getting the US seat."

JetsettingEric and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  18. Travel Greg

Travel Greg Active Member

Status Points:
    I have now flown 9 segments with US since making silver in November 12. I have been upgraded to first 5 times and been seated in the exit row (free of charge) 4 times.

Sean Colahan and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  19. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And that's what's great about US. You'd be about 60th on the upgrade waitlist if you were Silver on DL or UA. Losing this type of upgrade percentage for low/mid-tier elites is the biggest worry I have about the merger...

Travel Greg and Sean Colahan like this.