What's Going to Happen to the US MasterCards?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by The Boat, Nov 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since VX cancelled their contract with Barclaycard, I was wondering if Barclays will keep the US MCs after the merger, or lose them altogether?

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    All the "travel gurus" are saying that they're toast, once the merger date officially arrives. There's some wishful thinking from some of these folks that the same will happen with the AA card, and that a new combined airline card will be issued. If that logic applies, then should you get all 3 cards: 1st the US (first to disappear), 2nd the AA (will it go?), and then 3rd the "new US/AA card" (if it happens), enabling you to score over 100K miles from the cards.

3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA announced months ago in bankruptcy court that they would stick with Citi.

Newscience likes this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like day's of Old they will combine, only now points are devalued,

Of course most of us will have more, and find more flights to use them on.

Life goes on,

Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those same gurus seem to think that they will be turned into Arrivals Cards, at least thats what I last read.

Newscience and The Boat like this.
  6. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    My VX Visa Card is being switched to the Arrival card, but I'll probably switch it for a different one.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope no one ends up with Flex Perks....and has to leave points on the table.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sit in Cabo San Lucas today with my wife enjoying a nice vacation with airfare paid by Olympic Flex Perks bonuses!

9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, it was a good deal, and yet it is not like the old NW Card, but any free miles are good miles,

I grew up poor, and hate to see money or food not used...there was a spend for the Olympic points my wife also applied for the card..

Enjoy the sun, in Cabo

iolaire, jwsky and jbcarioca like this.
  10. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure that Barclays will be discontinuing the USAirways card. The only question is when. It may not be as soon as everyone thinks. Look how long there has been a separate Southwest and Air Tran card. When the card does becomes extinct...Barclays will certainly not want to lose you as a customer...so...it would seem to make sense that they would convert you to one of their cards that would be most similar to the USAirways card. Barclays does have a generic travel card...so...it really does seem like the Arrival card would be the perfect replacement.

11. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    But Chase was the issuer of both cards before the merger.

12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so there are two competing forces here. I'd like to apply for an Arrival card before they convert my US card to one and I can't get the bonus anymore as an existing cardholder (maybe?). And I'd like to apply for another US card for what will eventually become AA miles before these cards disappear. Will these two things both happen simultaneously? Or is it possible that applications for the US card will disappear first AND there will be time for another AOR including an Arrival AFTER that and before they convert existing cards. If the latter then its an easy call. Apply for US first, then Arrival.

FYI, I cancelled the wife's VS Amex a month before it would be converted to an MC and the MC still showed up in the mail and was added to her account. Had to then cancel that again, so not sure cancelling your US before an Arrival conversion will guarantee you don't get it anyway...

13. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled my US Airways MC recently. How soon can I apply again to receive the 30K miles bonus? I also have Barclays Arrival card which is active.

14. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    How long ago was your last application for the card? If it was over 4-6 months ago, you should have a good shot at getting approved (assuming of course that you don't have too many pulls).