whats going on with Delta Award pricing?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Lobo Litschi, Feb 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. GUA ATL BOG Award are 20000 miles there are only low level .
    I never hat problems to put each low level flight together in multicity search to get my 20000 miles award in coach.
    But now since 4 weeks it price mi out 80000 miles. Delta priced two one way low Level awards 35000 Miles GUA ATL and 45000 Miles ATL BOG instead of 20000 miles. what should i do, call in ? [​IMG]

2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's no published DL fare for GUA-BOG, so there's no way to get it to price any differently. Look into AM via MEX. You'll have to call to book, but you should be able to get an idea of availability on clubpremier.com.

3. the same problem with GUA LIM or GUA UIO ? two weeks ago all was possible to book without problems on Delta.com

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the award levels (low, medium, high) are different, DL tends to price the award additively.

autolycus likes this.
  5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a GUA-LIM fare published (nothing below M, but there is a published DL fare routed GUA-ATL/DTW-LIM), but nothing for UIO.

6. Has this changed the last weeks? If i looked each fare one way separately , and put it together in multicity search than i got the 20000 miles to BOG UIO or LIM. And all flights are going throw ATL.

7. I now this, thats way i search each fare one way separately to found the low level and than put it togehter.

autolycus likes this.
  8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    And while it's true, this still seems completely wrong to me. At worst it should price out at the highest level required for the route. For instance, my ATL-BUD<open jaw>MUC-ATL trip that requires going ATL-AMS-BUD. Over the phone, I was able to get it priced at 75k miles total. ATL-AMS was medium level, AMS-BUD was low level--it's a KLM flight, obviously--and MUC-ATL was low. The way the computer would have priced it out, had the system not been completely SNAFU at the time, would have been to take the 45k for ATL-AMS, add 12,500 for AMS-BUD, add 30k for MUC-ATL. The res agent, however, priced it at 75k total, which meant that the AMS-BUD was effectively rolled into the ATL-AMS bucket of medium level US to Europe. That, to me, is how it should price such an award ticket. I don't think it's how the system typically prices it though.

miles and smiles likes this.
  9. NYBanker likes this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bizarre. Anyone know why that is?

Some sort of local regulation perhaps? I know a few Latam counties levy a suppemental tax on award tickets booked by residents. Similar to KE's blackout, perhaps they just apply the rule of one country to the whole region?

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've observed similar additive pricing on delta.dumb. If the lowest fare class is different for different segments, delta.dumb breaks the fare and adds, even when pricing it as a through fare at a higher available fare class would have been cheaper. Most of the time when I notice this and call, the agent does not understand, so you were lucky. On revenue tickets, a solution sometimes is to pick the higher fare class in search by fare, doing two one way tickets if needed when the cheapest fare class available for all segment is not the same for outbound and return.

autolycus likes this.
  12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta's beyond hopelessly broken award tool is the single biggest reason that many fliers from other airlines/alliances (such as myself) don't make the switch to Delta, despite a superior product in many regards to their US counterparts.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not so bizarre, actually. It's basically a "You can't/shouldn't route from region X to region Y on DL metal, so we don't need to publish medium/high award bands since they apply only to DL metal." The SW Pacific chart only includes medium/high bands for CONUS/AK/Canada, HI, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, Northern South America, and Southern South America. It makes zero sense to route Central America-Northern South America via the US, so they've not published the higher award bands.

14. but until now was the only way to get there. The award chart ,offers flights within Central America for 15000 miles.
    The only way to get this flight are with routings about US. The same with UIO. AM don't have flights to get there.
    years ago it was possible to fly with copa within Central America-Northern South America. But this has changed
    since Continental are moved to Star. So Delta has to offer something for the Central America FF. If not the should
    change the award chards. For me the 20000 miles award to Northern South America was the only reason to jump to Delta.