What's CPM and why do people get all excited about it?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jt58203, Apr 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jt58203

jt58203 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been trying to read through the FAQ's, the wiki, etc. Lots of info & I'm still getting familiar with everything. If there's a good explanation on this, please direct me to the link.

What's CPM and why do people get all excited about it? For example, say there's an offer to fly Airline X to SFO-DFW-SAP (and I guessing the return flight) for only 3.6 CPM. Is this something people consider primarily to earn miles towards status? Last winter I did Delta's transfer game and got miles for about a cent each and thought I did good.

rwoman, kenbo, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Highlight CPM in your post and look in the top right of your screen!

CPM = cost-per-mile which basically means you divide the cost of the flight(s) by the miles. A lower CPM = lower cost to gain status + miles.

doc, wrxmom, kenbo and 3 others like this.
  3. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the big reasons to fly these kinds of trips (aka mileage runs) is primarily for status, where something below 5 CPM is considered an okay deal (or these days even a good deal). In this case, they're elite qualifying miles (EQM). They're particularly useful when someone is on the verge of hitting the next level, or for earning that next bunch of upgrade certificates. Some people also find them lots of fun.

As far as generating redeemable miles (RDM), there are much better (and cheaper) ways to get them, as you have found.

FlyingFree and jt58203 like this.
  4. jt58203

jt58203 Active Member

Status Points:
    Ohhhhhh OK I got that figured out now (top right hand corner search feature). I forgot to tell everybody here that I'm blonde :D -- I'm sure that's been the problem here all along.

5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can also catch deals where airlines offer double miles on certain routes. AA has a couple different promotions until Jun 30 for double eqms going on right now.

kenbo likes this.
  6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize we had a built in dictionary for terms. :) Thank you :)

JohnDeere19 likes this.