What's best lower award night end IHG hotel in Paris for week visit

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by daninstl, Sep 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm getting ready to book a week long hotel stay in Paris for February (Winter). What do you think would be the best IHG options? Imagine two adults sightseeing and would like to be well located for the typical stuff. I'm leaning toward the Notre Dame locations but far from a Paris expert. I have a ton of IHG points but I don't want to burn more than I need to if possible. I also have two free night certs (one for me and one for wife) but I may save those instead of burning them on cheaper hotels in Paris.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. RichHudson

RichHudson Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a Paris expert either but it's definitely worth hanging onto the free night certs to use at high end properties i.e. Intercontinental. The IC in Paris is good, apparently (I haven't stayed there personally, but I am doing a week on Friday; feel free to ask me what it was like afterwards if you like).

Raffles writes a piece on the new Indigo hotel here http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/06/14/first-hotel-indigio-in-paris-opens-october/ which might be worth a read. The cost of a night in February has risen to 40,000 points now, but that is still cheaper than the 45,000 it costs for Indigo's in London (why anyone would stay here when an IC is only 5,000 points more is beyond me). The Indigo Paris is well located, although it depends if you want to stretch to that many points - most HI/HIX properties are 30-35K.

daninstl likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes please give me a review of your trip if you remember. I've been looking at the Indigo but with no free breakfast it will add cost to the trip. I don't usually travel on a budget but I'm trying to keep the cost down on this trip and I know breakfast in Paris can be expensive.

RichHudson likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pastries at your local pâtisserie (pain au chocolat, croissants aux amandes or whatever) and a cappucino aren't horribly expensive, and would be what the locals eat- Paris is not a "full English" kind of town, for obvious reasons (it's not English).

When I was there I rented a Montmartre apartment with AirBnB and stocked up on groceries, and was upstairs from an award winning boulangerie. Rick Steves is right on about using groceries and shops to cut your food costs down in Paris. You may also find that Groupon.fr can help, as long as you look in the right arondissement.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd definitely try to go self-catered for a week-long stay.

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Monoprix carries some decent wine that can be had for 2-3 euros and is much better than the $7.99 plonk we see here in the states. :)

I'd definitely go self-catered to cut down on the costs and enjoy the trip too.

daninstl and eponymous_coward like this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, very much so. I was there over NYE and the Carrefour Market down the street was running a good deal on a local brand of champagne for €12 or something like that. Usually boulangeries have good sandwiches on nice crunchy baguettes to pick up for very reasonable cost as well.

It is a bit chilly that time of year, so the picnics don't work out so well, but the tourist numbers are way down as well. It was a snap to get a tour of Versailles at a very modest cost (which cuts out the lines there entirely). ;)

daninstl and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. RichHudson

RichHudson Active Member

Status Points:
    Just an update on IC Paris Le Grand...

In short, very nice hotel. Felt luxurious. Nice reception/lobby. Had a peak of the newly renovated Ballroom while I was there, most impressive. 150 years old. 470 rooms. Apparently the occupancy rate was 100% during our stay, although not once did it feel crowded. Spacious, wide corridors, plenty of lounging areas. The rooms were dated but well appointed, slightly larger than average for a Paris city centre hotel (although not big). I was in a Superior Room - one up from a Classic, upgraded due to my Platinum status - free gift was a metal tin of biscuits, water and a card from the general manager saying enjoy our stay (with an old picture of the hotel on the front which I have since framed and hung on my wall at home). Nice spa - paid 30 euros for 30 minutes for a private steam room with my wife. Sauna was free but too hot.

The location was great - plenty of stations within walking distance which would get you onto most of the main metro/train routes. Having said that, I think Notre Dame is close to Châtelet - Les Halles which hass got to be the best connected station in Paris. Also Notre Dame is on the Seine.

That reminds me, we had a river cruise and dinner on the Seine one night with these guys
    http://www.bateauxparisiens.com/dinner-cruise-paris.html

I've done a cruise a couple of times but not with dinner - it was absolutely amazing, the food was top class. Couldn't recommend this enough.

4th time in Paris in as many years, best trip yet, would definitely go back to the IC. Not sure if I would pay the list prices though - they are rather steep even for Paris - but a real sweet spot for point redemptions.

RH

daninstl likes this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you got an upgrade as Platinum. Did you stay on points and get the upgrade or pay cash, etc. ?

10. RichHudson

RichHudson Active Member

Status Points:
    Stayed on points - 50,000 a night. TBH the value of the upgrade was negligible. The 'list' price for a Classic Room is €800 while a Superior Room is €830. I think it afforded us a room on the 3rd floor with a marginally nicer view.

This 'list' price is the price of the rooms on the wall of the hotel (not the price one would pay if booking via the website, which in reality would be cheaper, at around €500ish, or lower if you book in advance).

daninstl likes this.
  11. RichHudson

RichHudson Active Member

Status Points:
    I've uploaded some pictures so you can see what I was referring to.

'List' prices in the hotel (any takers for the Presidential Suite @ 6,000 Euro a night?):
    [​IMG]

Reception:
    [​IMG]

Lobby:
    [​IMG]

Ballroom (really is stunning when you see it in person):
    [​IMG]

Room 1 (bathroom not shown):
    [​IMG]

eponymous_coward likes this.