What's Ahead

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Randy Petersen, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    As we grind through the bug reports and punch lists, we're also working fervently on MilePoints future. So, here's where we are going:
    • You are not seeing anything fo a final design here, just enough to get launched for Beta. We have an outside agency working on the home page and the final design for forum and page layout. in fact, the logo you see here for MilePoint is but a temporary one.
    • Documentation. We haven't yet had the time to completely document the various user beenfits and guides to the tools our members have. We expect to have that with your help by our formal launch on March 1. This will be in the form of a FAQ and other format we are considering.
    • We will have additional reference material introduced over the following month which includes a glossary and other type information.
    • Starting in March we will begin our series of monthly chats with program and industry executives around the world. We've sourced a wonderful platform to host these chats on which will give our members uninterrupted access to the stories and the conversations of the industry. Note: this will not be the daily chat resource we have for MilePoint but something more creative and different.
    • We'll continue with the kindness of frequent flyers by having a full-on Cares program. Besides supporting individual members charitable efforts, we will have more formal relationships with Livestrong, Susan G. Koman Foundation (with out very unique Fly For the Cure program), KIVA and another international charity of choice. Something a little different is that once a member reaches the lowest status level on MilePoint (and it is not based on post count), MilePoint is donating $1 into the general fund for our Cares program. More member engagement—a greater fund to be ready when the world needs our help.
    • Local language alliances. MilePoint is already at work on creating affiliate MilePoint websites in Japanese, Spanish and French and will be announcing a partnership with a Chinese language website for frequent flyers and hopefully others.
    • A Private Forum. Along with the benefits that come with reaching one of our status levels is the ability to have conversations with fellow members in a private forum, outside of search engines and lurkers. Again, this is not based upon post count but contributions to the community.
    • We believe very strongly about mobile and you'll see that experience once we get out of Beta. It's a real challenge to hold back on some things we have planned like mobile vs. trying to herd everyone toward the one of the main golas of Beta and that is to create great content. So, hold the phone, MP is coming to you soon.
    • We also have in store a complete Ignore System unlike anything out there today. While we think in a friendly environment such systems are not necessary, we know from experience it will help to have one handy.
    • Friends and Flyers. This referral program will answer the call to many members who will love their experiences here and want to share. All members will have access to an unlimited number of referral cards which you can freely give to fellow passengers and let them know where you have learned some of your travel knowledge.

2. Ritz

Ritz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, Randy, thanks for all the info. Of course, a big thanks to you and Peter for asking me to apart of this new program. I do have a rather mundane question, which perhaps others are more "in-the-know" about the answer to: Why start a new community when you have done a marvelous job with FT. I ask this from the most uninformed perspective, and mean absolutely no disrespect. All of the great ideas you've outlined in the post above seem like they could be (or have been) perfectly fluid if integrated into FT over time. If the tenor of the community wasn't what you completely envisioned, and I'm just surmising here, why not have the mods affect a paradigm "shift of mindset" in every forum? Once again, I'm very grateful to be asked to contribute here, and will be more than to share my expertise in the National, AA and HH forums (as well as anything else I can do to help).

Warm regards,
    Ritz

3. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing the 3-Day Breast Cancer walk twice this year, and I'm glad to see MilePoint working with Komen.

If MilePoint wants to sponsor it, I'd be willing to do a third one :)

4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Let me be among many that will welcome you here. You asked a question that requires truth. A year ago I was happy as ever, thinking that while FlyerTalk was a giant among many, that growth needed some temperance due in some small part to the nature of the anonymous Internet. So I began work on something important, a hopeful change in bringing FlyerTalk back to its roots. A heavy task no less. I was constantly meeting professional people I knew and trusted whose thought of FlyerTalk was unfriendly and intimidating. Some of that was in part to the era when search was a real challenge on FlyerTalk. So I began seeking support for some change with the introduction of my Ambassador test. As strange as it might sound, the idea was not overwhelmingly endorsed. Many thought they were friendly so thus it be true that FlyerTalk was friendly. Fact is, it does take a community to raise a newbie. Anyway, I had barely weathered the era of technology snafus (and let me raise my hand to say i've had my own over the years) when Internet Brands did what I believed attacked my integrity (purely my description). That has never happened in my life and despite my attempt to address their concerns, the business differences continued. At the end of the day, I simply lost respect for executives at Internet Brands and in a very tearful report to the Moderators, I resigned because I simply had personal difficulty being in that sort of business relationship.

Anyway, I was disappointed that I couldn't carry on those things I thought important for FlyerTalk and that was the evolution of a friendly community by all and the importance of technology on community members. I had no plans to do anything else being quite content to complete several other frequent flyer ventures I had started, including getting involved as Advisory Board member for several new companies. Anyway, when approached in early January by a group of fellow frequent flyers, I saw an opportunity to continue my goals and more importantly call the shots again (all the shots, including technology, support and investment). So here I am, doing the very same thing I've done for the past 25 years—trying to help better the education of the frequent flyer. I continue to do exactly the things I've always done and will continue to do because as it is long known, i do have the best job in the world and far too young to retire. Bottom line, a business dispute caused me a change of address.
    My question to you is just as mundane: How can I help you today be the most knowledgeable frequent flyer in the land?
    Thank you.

5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I received just yesterday the confirmation letter from Susan G. Koman for the Cure acknowledging frequent flyers support for the 3-Day For the Cure. I'd say, pack your sneakers and let's go for #3.

6. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I've always said, "Randy rocks!" Er, make that "Randy rocks and Missy walks!"

8. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to see that you have mobile access in your plans - I'm sure that an iPhone App is on the way, but could I make a plea for those of us that don't own iPhones (or a mobile device made in the last 3 years [​IMG]) for something that is more widely accessible? The mobile version of FT works a treat for me.

9. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    As i currently understand it, the developer of mobile for this prefers to develop a mobile application rather than handset specific, so your suggestion is already heard and being thought of at the higher level. Given what i think is a very clean interface vs. others, i have high hopes for the right solution. Thanks.

10. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy, glad to see that you did not "retire" and I am happy to be apart of this new venture.

11. calvinoeh
    Original Member

calvinoeh Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Randy: Thanks for setting up this site. I hope MP solves the "double-edge" sword of FT that never got solved - openness and sharing of info VS deals that get closed too quick. I have learned a lot from FT and would have never been able to experience flying first class, the FCT in FRA, the Spa in BKK, etc without FT. Just hope to be able to learn more and to be able to share more openly.

I "abused" the Russia in North Asia for US airways awards chart and openly shared this in FT. I got several messages "warning" me not to share it so openly as this would be trigger the deal to be closed and true enough this deal was closed a few months after.

I hope MP will allow sharing of info and deals without the fear of deals closing too quickly.. Maybe this is something where the Private Forum will solve..

12. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the age old dilemma.

Share the info so that some who are alert can take advantage of any loopholes, or forever stay quiet on it.

Option #1 is always the best -- sure you'll ruffle a few feathers every time, but others WILL denefit if they act quickly.

Very much like error fares etc.

Glen

kiwi likes this.
  13. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to building an amazing community here. I joined FT in December 2009 and have learned SO MUCH from fellow FF'ers... and I think this site is going to help further my growth in becoming a travel expert. At 29 years old I had never even imagined making top level in any hotel program, much less lower status level, I had no aspirations of flying anything but coach, etc...

In under 18 months, wow... I've earned hundred of thousands of points & miles, been to Hawaii on points, booked a trip to several south American countries on miles/points, and already planning additional trips to Asia. Things I could have never afforded without the knowledge I've gained and continue to look forward to learning from the insights of the experts around me.