What's a MR seminar like?Who can go?When's the next one?!

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by edenri, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. edenri
    Original Member

edenri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed these seminars posted before but was wondering what they were like? Can anyone attend, or are they geared for the business traveler? What normally is the cost?

Any info on them would be appreciated? TIA

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    These are given by volunteers and are usually announced in the community forum. Milepoint hasn't had any yet AFAIK but when it does, I bet it will have the same ground rules as on FT: anyone can sign up to attend up to the room capacity, first come, first served. You are responsible for your own travel, accommodation, and meals. Sometimes there is a modest donation requested to pay for room rent, if any.

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  3. The first ever Frequent Traveler University, brought to you by the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation, will be held on April 30, 2011 in NYC. Look for more details and announcements in the coming weeks. We're finalizing the content and website in the next few days and should have things online for registration very soon.

kwai, Tenmoc, joesmoe and 6 others like this.
  4. sounds like something I need
    I take it this is different than what the first poster asked?

5. Daringdoo
    Original Member

Daringdoo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are different seminars that have been held in the past through FT members, and hopefully there will be more in the future (through MiPo?). They tend to focus on different topics and, as has already been said, are run by volunteers who request a nominal amount of money that goes toward renting meeting rooms, equipment, drinks, snacks, cover fees for speakers, etc. I believe they have been not-for-profit (through FT)

What you should consider in deciding whether or not to attend a seminar is, will the subjects discussed be of interest to you? Do you feel ok about the fees that are being charged? Do you know what the fees go towards? Are you willing to travel to where the seminar is being held, or would you rather wait and see if one will be held closer to you? Do the organizers have a history/track record that you can check to see if the event went smoothly? Did the attendees feel good about going?

sc801 and Travelsavant like this.
  6. Daringdoo
    Original Member

Daringdoo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The seminars posted on FT in the Community forum are open to all on a first come, first served basis. Depending on your needs (business travel vs personal) you may find some topics more helpful than others. Cost varies but is usually posted within the first couple of posts in that thread. Also, don't overlook the side benefit of making contacts and learning lots *outside* of the meeting room!

sc801 likes this.
  7. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Registration is already up![​IMG]

tin509 likes this.
  8. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sean Colahan likes this.
  9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went to the Chicago DO last year and had a ton of fun and learned a lot! It was great hanging out with other people with a similar hobby/addiction to mine. It is so tough wanting to talk miles/points with people but having no one to do it with. Forums like this are nice, but some face to face interaction is much appreciated. I am booked for a second year to the Chicago DO and I highly recomend it. If that doesn't work/all booekd up, defiantly hit up another meet-up./seminat when you see it anounced. Hope to see you all at a future DO[​IMG]

sc801, Travelsavant and travelingmore like this.
  10. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do these ever take place on line in a format using Live Meeting or similar desktop/presentation sharing mechanism (along with conf. bridge, etc)?

It's not as social... I'm just not sure I can convince my wife I'd need to get away for one of these [​IMG]

11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that I am aware of.

Miles likes this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    no, I would expect that it will never happen as no one wants some of the tricks/strategies mentioned getting out any easier than need be to the airlines/hotels.

I'm sure you live by my mantra of "happy wife, happy life" so very simply but firmly explain you are going because it will ___________ (fill in blank with something that is important to both of you). Find your pair[​IMG]

Seriously do not worry about the social part, one can get as socially involved as one wants, no one forces you to be social, you will not be made uncomfortable.

sc801, Travelsavant and Miles like this.
  13. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough, I'll see if I can pull one or more of these off sometime. I'm actually pretty good with the social aspect - lots to learn, as well as some venting over fine beverages [​IMG]

As you note, "a happy wife...". That will be my key challenge to work through as I justify a day/weekend away!

Miles and Sean Colahan like this.
  14. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could always bring your wife along too ;)

Miles likes this.
  15. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    That might be an even bigger challenge! [​IMG]

kwai likes this.
  16. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If she can understand the benefits - and her benefits - of your slight obsession with collecting miles, points, and status she should understand the need for attending a seminar. The two Chicago Do's were my first two last year (and yes, enjoyed hanging out with Sean! We had our own little US support squad!) and I learned a tremendous amount at both and have made lasting friendships as a result.

I have attended a gathering in SFO and will be meeting with like-minded people in COS in April and flying to Prague in June. My +1 understands my need to do this.... and, most importantly, he tolerates it pretty well. I bought him a trip to a NASCAR driving school for being so tolerant. :)

17. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to see what I can pull off one of these times!

18. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went to a MR seminar in CGO. Flew in early in the morning, stayed one night and left the next morning. We were all encouraged to bring laptops, etc. The session explained fare codes - what codes are upgradeable and which ones are not; how to use the ITA software (hands on), how to use the KVS tool (hands on and had a discount for us). It was refreshingly free of all the jargon and coded language in the trick it thread so you could actually understand what was being said and concentrate on learning the tools rather than spending time trying to figure out what the h.. the jargon meant. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't enough time to actually go through constructing a mileage run but what was presented was extremely worthwhile. It was good to get this introductory information then go home and practice some. You should make some inquiries to make sure the class will be presented for the level you are at. There are newbie seminars and then there are intermediate seminars. You want to be in the right one.

Gargoyle, Miles, edenri and 1 other person like this.
  19. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you can entice her with a trip to the Chicago Seminar Do in October! Not far from Minnesota! And she could go shopping while you are in seminars.... although if she attended some of them as well, she might get the bug too!

DonV.Smith, Gargoyle and Miles like this.
  20. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I attended the Chicago DO last year, and filled a notebook with ideas and tips. Well worth it! I've signed up for this year's follow-up.

These are not webcast, and no recordings are permitted, because some of the "I didn't know you could do that" techniques should not be widely disseminated.

If you are new to the field, you might consider reading the Frugal Travel Guy book (available on Amazon) as a "prerequisite."

sc801, DonV.Smith, doc and 3 others like this.
  21. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did anyone post a detailed trip report or summary on the seminar details?

I thought I saw on FT that one seminar for travel was held in Seattle? Anymore in Seattle?

Miles and Gargoyle like this.
  22. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the shout-out SC801! That support group was much needed at the UA elite heavy seminar weekend. Just signed up for ORD DO2. Hope to see you there as well.

On a side topic my wife is flying to see her sister for a little girls weekend and asked if she would get upgraded. I had to break the news to her that unless we were flying together (I have Gold, her nothing) there would be no upgrades, no exit row seating (not big deal for her as she's tiny) and no Zone 1 boarding (though I think with our CC she will get Zone 2). The frown on her face was priceless. Though I think with the flying we are doing together this year, she might make status as well (at least Silver).

sc801, DonV.Smith and Miles like this.
  23. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there an agenda of topics listed for each day?
    Can an electronic copy of the event presentations be posted on Milepoint?

Seems if the presentation material (w/ approval of presenters) were in electronic format these could be posted online for Milepoint members to discuss and learn from after the event is held.

24. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you will ever see the content of any of the Seminar Do's posted online. There are just too many 'tricks of the trade' as it were to have them be posted for 'all the world' to see. The point of the Do's is information, to be sure. But what is priceless are the tens and tens of friends and acquaintances you will walk away with! (shout out to Sean!). There are just some things that can not be presented electornically. :)

DonV.Smith likes this.
  25. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, on FT I asked where I could find the postings of the DO so people could share information. All I got was a bunch of crap that it's scattered about. SO I suggested teh presenters who should cfreate electronic presentations just post online and then let posters discuss.

SImple....but somebody wants to limit exposure to keep forcing people attend the DO.

We spend so much effort sharing information but after a DO event or FT UNiversity event nobody shares much.

I can't determine if it's worth a holiday trip!