Whatever you do - DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINES EVER

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by privateer, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. privateer
    Original Member

privateer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please sticky this post.

This site is so new and I've already read about someone calling the airlines to complain. I know this might seem crass or rude, but the reason behind the call does not matter. The deal was not necessarily dead and the phone call alerts the airlines. If you think the deal is dead post in the forums your experience, and maybe someone can help you and show you its still alive.

The airline WILL NOT give you anything because you complained you didn't get a mistake or super low airfare. In their terms they can call these mistake airfares and refuse to honor them anyway. Please do not give them incentive to do this.

This is a new community. Lets start it out right, and not kill deals, accidently or intentionally.

2. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand what you're saying, but how does one phone rep communicate up the chain that there's a mistake fare out there, and why would they really care?

adrianors and nime01 like this.
  3. DrG
    Original Member

DrG Gold Member

Status Points:
    This needs to be sticky or referenced in every new mistake fare thread

adrianors, nime01, k2o and 2 others like this.
  4. privateer
    Original Member

privateer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't say for sure that this happens every time, but why pull the trigger even if theres only 1 bullet between all those chambers. Someone can easily send an email over to a department or their boss and it doesn't take much effort to hit forward and have the deal collapse.

If you saw a mistake that was costing your company a lot of money, why the heck wouldn't you pass that information forward? Certainly puts good marks on your record. That would be at least one reason to do it

5. Averroes
    Original Member

Averroes Active Member

Status Points:
    The way to move up the ranks in a call center environment is to be noticed. The most effective way to be noticed is to save your company money (or make it money). It doesn't take any prior knowledge of airfares, fare rules, and the like to figure out that a <$300 round trip fare to Europe is probably a mistake. So, even if the call center rep doesn't care at all about the airline for which they work, it's likely that they do care about their individual career advancement. And calling and pointing out a ridiculous fare like this one is providing that call center rep with a possibly significant opportunity for career advancement, which they're likely going to take.

6. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is basic FF information and thus should be in FF 101 :)

iterfacio12, nime01, 2soonold and 3 others like this.
  7. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly!!!!!!!

nime01 and savydog like this.
  8. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. Daringdoo
    Original Member

Daringdoo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Way back in my day (and lots of things have changed since then)...

Before we started our shifts, we were advised of specials or sales (sometimes there would be a bonus attached to selling them). If a route to, let's say, LHR suddenly showed half the price we were used to seeing, and we knew there wasn't a sale, we were encouraged to verify the rate with a supervisor or the rate desk.

If there was indeed a problem, it was corrected or locked out immediately. It would only take meer minutes. It's not as though there is a huge chain of command the information needs to filter through before being locked out. There is usually someone on site with the authority to do it immediately then follow up as needed.

Why would they care? Because there is a great deal of pressure on reservation agents to be accurate in the information they give and the bookings they make. They may have their calls listened to frequently. If their boss goes through their phone record (which happened for 'training' purposes) it could mean reprimand or job loss if they didn't report a blatant error. I'm not saying agents don't give out inaccurate information, just that there is tremendous pressure on them to be right and act on behalf of their employer.

10. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

11. travel.flier
    Original Member

travel.flier Active Member

Status Points:
    AGREE with this! I would suggest making it a requirement to be a member to read the boards. I don't think that scares anyone away, but perhaps when one becomes a member, they can read some key stickies like don't call the airline!

12. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the most sacred rule for all frequent fliers. And i do agree that it needs to be stickied somewhere or placed somewhere more visible.

nime01 likes this.
  13. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    it really just needs to be a banner add in big bold red flashing letters

nime01 likes this.
  14. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    or perhaps just add this icon to the top of each "mistake fare" thread!

nime01 and akcae like this.
  15. James Dombrowski
    Original Member

James Dombrowski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can not believe this is STILL an issue..... especially since most of us (probably) are Flyertalk alumni.

DO NOT CALL !!!!

Sheesh!

nime01 likes this.
  16. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice dedication changing your avatar just so it's listed next to the thread!

nime01 likes this.
  17. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    While it is certainly not cricket to call the airline about mistake fares posted here, I think it's important to understand just how bad communication is in large, unwieldy organizations, especially in terms of customer-initiated communication. More than likely, when deals get shut down it isn't because a customer has called in, it is because a business intelligence tool has detected an anomaly.

A customer calling some harassed reservations agent in India has one chance in ten of shutting down a mistake fare, IMHO, of course.

nime01 and magic111 like this.
  18. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is crazy that people would call the airline. If you're hanging out here in MP, you should really know better..

nime01 and buschoi like this.
  19. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    We should have a deal killer status or tag we can give out to members that mention calling in on any sort of outlandish or mistake deal...like a Scarlet Letter.

nime01, colpuck and buschoi like this.
  20. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call me old school if you will. Behind every "mistake" airfare sits a human being with a family and mortgage. Capitalizing on a mistake at the peril of others is not what I want on my tombstone. I still turn in a wallet when I find one.

curiousgeorge, hpc, nime01 and 4 others like this.
  21. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Put it on me.

nime01 likes this.
  22. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    A bit dramatic, but to each their own I suppose.

nime01 likes this.
  23. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm definitely in the "Dont' Call" camp, no doubt.

However, as it pertains to the recent Delta fire sale of fares to Europe, I don't think it made much of a difference. Yes, calling raises the visibility to the airline. However, since this particular deal involved no tricking whatsoever, it's not like the masses didn't figure it out. The $138 fare from JFK to CPH was mentioned Wednesday in this Associated Press article about finding low airfare. Anyone who happened to be searching airfare on Orbitz, Expedia or Kayak would have found the same fares we did - I know several who booked through Orbitz and I searched through Kayak myself.

So again, while calling is a great way to speed the demise of a deal (such as the Expedia.ca $300 coupon trips to Vegas and NYC last November! :)), in this most recent instance I doubt a phone call made much difference.

nime01 and MLW20 like this.
  24. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait, when did a mistake fare ever cause anybody to lose their family and mortgage... ?? Yowsers.

Casey Friday, nime01 and todd-r like this.
  25. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you show me where I said that? Please don't put words in my mouth.

nime01, Lufthansa Flyer and neil like this.