What you should know before your next flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Mar 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.cnn.com/things-you-should-know-your-next-flight-621061

We’ve all done it.

We’ve all stared at that half-full can of soda that’s just been poured into our cup, wondering what the flight attendant plans on doing with the rest of it.

But here’s the thing -- you can have the whole can, you just have to ask, they’ll give it to you.
    This and other pearls of wisdom are being shared by pilots, flight attendants and cabin cleaning crew on the social-news website, Reddit, much to the delight of travelers who don’t often have such a frank exchange with the people who know the skies the best.

Even if you already know about airlines’ “give ‘em the whole can” policy, chances are there are passenger nuggets in the Reddit story you don’t know about.

Bathrooms
    Airplane bathrooms can be unlocked and opened from the outside. All of them.
    Every pilot and flight attendant knows how, and probably a number of the passengers do, as well. So be careful what you’re trying to pull in there.

Cabin lights
    When taking off and landing at night, lights are turned off in the cabin to allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness. In the event of an evacuation, you’ll be able to see better.

Blankets, pillows, magazines
    The pros say don’t use the blankets and pillows if they aren’t wrapped in sanitary plastic, unless you enjoy sharing unknown pieces of humanity with random strangers. Also, the magazines are probably the dirtiest things on an airplane …

Opening doors mid-flight
    Ever stood next to the emergency door and worried about some maniac yanking it open at 30,000 feet?
    Relax. Individuals simply don’t have the strength to open a door in-flight.
    Try it and you may freak out your fellow passengers, but at high altitude that door simply won’t budge. (CNN travel guru Richard Quest says it’s not just a case of strength and air pressure, but one of design. He says the design aircraft manufacturers use these days makes it impossible for a passenger to open a door while in-flight.)

Read More: http://travel.cnn.com/things-you-should-know-your-next-flight-621061

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I enjoy reading in-flight airline magazines. They inform about the destination and keep me entertained as well. :)

Whatwasthat..., 8MiHi and sobore like this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have occasionally brought on a newly placed magazine from the lounge on flights near the end of the month just to have an unused crossword puzzle. I did not know I was improving my hygiene...:eek:

uggboy likes this.
  4. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the links in between paragraphs of the CNN stories. I clicked on the one which talked about airline food (forget the pasta...) which yielded this nugget:

"Australian or American passengers are much easier to please. The last three generations of Americans have pretty much grown up on junk food and anything better than a Big Mac makes them go ‘wow.’”

Inspired!

8MiHi and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The truth had to come out. Interesting find.

Counsellor likes this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have been so driven down in our expectations that a good burger is worthy of a "wow".

uggboy likes this.
  7. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I liked the bit about opening doors mid-flight. Kind of nice to know that it can't be opened in a maniacal moment in flight but also disconcerting that the only time you'll really be able to use it is upon surviving the crash.