What would you tell your past self?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Scottrick, Nov 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scientists plan to rip a hole in space time with a giant laser.

Yes, we are THAT awesome.

But it reminds me of a story plot where scientists aimed tachyons (faster-than-light particles) back in the direction of where Earth used to be, since everything moves through space, with the idea that the tachyons could carry a message back into the past.

Which gets to my real point, which is the idea of what you wish you knew about travel when you were younger. Maybe you wish you'd known about miles for pudding cups, or how to churn cards back before banks started denying multiple bonuses for the same one. Personally, I wish I'd known about fuel dumping, as all the easy dumps disappeared shortly after I learned how to do it on my own. :(

2. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would tell myself to find a career with employer-paid travel opportunities! It's hard to earn status and miles on my own dime (especially as a grad student)!

p.s. ripping holes in space-time is so blase... scientists already showed that neutrinos can travel faster than light (and/or their experiment is flawed... they don't really know)

3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would tell myself to get into the points/mile game earlier while doing better in high school for more scholarships :(

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would tell myself not to listen to the idiot air force recruiter who told me in high school that I couldnt fly anything in the air force if I didnt have 20/20 uncorrected vision. I coulda been a 744 cap'n today

AND

I would tell myself to place a really BIG BIG bet on Buster Douglas when he fought Mike Tyson and won 22 yrs ago or so.

5. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd tell myself not to get fat as I am today, and to buy apple's stock back when it was still in its early rise..

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lasers and time travel? I've seen this before...

[​IMG]

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd tell myself not to go to Victoria Falls on a certain day and my entire life would be completely different by now...but oh well...Que Sera Sera.

8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would tell myself that too :)

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    no need for either if following the advice like General_Flyer proposes
    I'd have a whole lot more stock & investment tips than just Apple, heck even throw in some lotto numbers & don't get me started on different women I should have asked out, etc etc:D

10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    so many things I wish I could go back in time and redo!

consider a different career (not that I do not like what I do, I know I would like other jobs even more), sell my tech stocks before the stock crash, sell my bank stocks before the banks started to collapse.

do more of those cheap flight deals and not hem and haw about them....

and to the girl with the nose ring, not ask her if that thing in her nose becomes a projectile when she blows her nose real hard :eek: (its those little things that make an impression:D)!

11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am working on that right now. Just imagine: someone else PAYS you to fly. My brother even gets time-and-a-half while in the air on installation jobs for a scientific equipment company. I tried to convince him to join a frequent flyer program, but he wouldn't listen... :(

12. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have told myself to continue to suffer through flying small charters and cargo a few years ago... maybe I'd have realised my dream of flying for CX or BA by now then rather than having some useless pieces of paper lying around!