What would you recommend my friend to do:

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by MyTravels, Nov 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    They booked a full-service Marriott that was impacted by Storm Sandy, but the hotel is up and running again. It's a bit out of the way, but they value the weekday lounge perk – this is what they found out when they checked in:
    • No Phone
    • No Internet
    • On-Site restaurant is closed
    • Room-Service is closed
    • The lounge would be closed Wednesday & Thursday for Thanksgiving (evidently it was open Tuesday).
    • Since the hotel restaurant is closed breakfast certificates won't be provided.
    • They will have "continental breakfast" for all guests in the lobby due to the inconvenience (the lobby isn't very big, so It will be interesting to hear what that entails).
    I was asked my opinion on what they should do (complain, let it slide, if the former, what to ask for, etc) and I thought I'd open it up to the community.

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is a very unique situation. The problems are not the fault of Marriott......they were caused by a natural disaster. In fact it appears that Marriott by having the "continental breakfast" they are trying to at least do something to make up for the problems. OTOH, it is a pain not having phone or internet service. If it were me, I would politely talk to the manager and express my concerns -specifically in regard to the lounge and phone / internet. If they get something, fine....but I don't think they should push it. This, of course assumes that the rooms are OK and there are no heating / AC type issues.

MyTravels and mo26 like this.
  3. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Partially-correct. The closing of the restaurant is due to the natural disaster, however, the closing of the lounge on two weekdays is a hotel/management decision.

Agreed, focus on what's important. The lounge is the main reason they picked that property and it seems that's what they're most annoyed about, followed with no advance notice.

Yes as far as I know.

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did they call first to see if the hotel was fully open? If not. they have no one to blame but themselves.

DTWBOB

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    In fact I cant but help express a great deal of surprise if they did not call ahead.:)

MyTravels likes this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Also, I would not expect the lounge to be open on Thursday or possibly Friday. It is a holiday and I liken the Holiday to a weekend where the lounge is closed.

7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hotel was updating their website regarding when they were closed and when they reopened they listed that the rooms were unaffected and that the restaurant was closed. After the reopened the phones were working, sometime after they reopened they lost their phone service.

This isn't applicable, and agreed the guest should have shared responsibility in checking up (as they did), but I couldn't disagree more with blaming the guest 100%.

8. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't personally stayed during a lot of holidays, but in my experiences including Christmas Eve and Christmas Day lounges at US properties were open if the holidays were on weekdays. Not sure if others have experience holiday-wise.

Hearing that the lounge was closed Wednesday (a non-holiday) was surprising, I even asked them to recheck as that seemed very odd.

I wouldn't expect a hotel to close an operational lounge for whatever reason (maintenance, holiday, etc) if a sit-down breakfast certificates would not be provided

Either way, the thread is regarding advise and appreciate others peoples experiences/expectations/suggestions.

deant likes this.