What would you do?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by wcblack34, Jun 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am in the process of booking a flight for October. I just received a Chase Ink card, and am trying to decide the best way to go about booking to maximize miles earned. I will use the Ink card because it will help me meet the spend requirement

OPTIONS:
    a) Book through Ultimate Rewards Travel - approximately $1245 - 1 pp$ for using Ink card, 1 pp$ for booking through UR travel

b) Book through Travelocity through Ultimate Rewards Mall - approximately $1245 - 2 pp$ for Travelocity, 1 pp$ for Ink card. However, it's only 2 pp$ on the fare, and not taxes and fees. The fare is about $850.

c) Book through United - approximately $1175 - 1 pp$ for using Ink card. The fewest points, but it also saves me about $70 bucks. This is the option I'm leaning towards. I have a Mileage Plus Explorer card that would net me 2 pp$, but like I said, I want to use the Ink card so I can put it towards my spending requirement.

Any advice?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool. Real spending -- my preferred way to meet the minimum spend!

My suggestion is for you to make a Table that shows the spend vs. the total number of points that you would get for each option. Is the difference between the options worth worrying about? If so, go with the option that earns you the most pp$. There are also considerations such as this one: you estimated that you would get the fewest points for Option (c) but save about $70. It might then be useful to consider how many airline miles you could buy with $70 and add that to the total for option (c). If you are considering United, e.g., each UA mile cost about $0.029 the last time I checked, so that $70 would get you 2.4K miles (points) that should be added to option (c).

Hope I did not muddy the waters but that is how I would proceed...

Travelsavant, 8MiHi, estnet and 2 others like this.
  3. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:

No muddied waters at all. I like the chart idea! I should use them more in my day to day life...

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buy GCs at an OD to get 5 pts per $ then use the GC to pay for the ticket... either by purchasing the airline's GCs or using BB

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Just my personal opinion, but it doesn't seem worth it to spend the extra $70. Not sure if all of your options above are for United flights. As Jimgotkp suggests, gift cards can be your friend. If Southwest is an option, Staples sells Southwest gift cards to earn 5X.

Gargoyle and Travelsavant like this.
  6. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Think of what gives you the most flexibility as well--just in case. Is the change fee the same if booked through TO versus United...

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad idea, IMO.

CCs offer significant consumer protection, especially on airline tickets, that I would be loathe to forego.

rockyrock and traveler like this.