What would you do with a million points?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by man on the move., May 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just clocked my total over a million. I was thinking about 40 nights in Ko Phi Phi? Do you have any better idea on how to spend my total down? Considering I used about 300K last year, and 500K the year before, i have done some vacations in florida beachs, london, and south east asia in the past.

As an RA, it always seems better to pay for a basic room and get a suite than to use the points... i prefer luxury to free, as my time is more valuable...

Kalboz and perryplatypus like this.
  2. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are lucky to have so many points, but if you prefer not to use them, I would be happy to receive some of them...

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were you, I'd give them to me.:D

boondr, jetsetboy, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  4. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Feeling charitable? Donate a few nights to MP to auction off for charity.

jetsetboy, FlyingFree, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have that number of points without a use, perhaps the current gas gift card promotion would be beneficial (for oneself or others).

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there any amazing hotels that do not give good RA benefits, where it would make sense to spend some points on club level or a suite?

7. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stay three solid months at a point break property. And you would still have 550,000 in the bank :D

Clocktower, Kalboz and TheBeerHunter like this.
  8. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did cash/points as I am clearing my whole 40k points for two IC nights so i'm a bit jealous. I'd look to donate some points to "make a wish" or contact the local children's hospital to see if any families need hotel assistance while their child is in hospital and take the tax deduction for some of the miles.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how hotel points are valued for charitable donations by the IRS. It would be cleaner to use the points for yourself and make a cash donation to the charity. I also would guess that either you'd need to reserve a room for someone (are you and the charity comfortable with this? what is they damage the hotel room or don't pay for incidentals or even do a no show? and do you want them to see your name and vice versa?) of pay transfer fees to give to points to the charity's account number, if they have one.

10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to suggest 200 nights at the IC in PNH but that pointbreak has apparently been pulled. :D

perryplatypus and Kalboz like this.
  11. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about treating yourself to some items you want via UA's Merchandise Rewards? While I know it is not the best use of points, if you have so many then you may want to use some for that I Pad, TV, SLR Camera etc. (PS- here I am speaking from experience, as I too have over 1,000,000 points and 'buy' gifts for myself and family via these rewards).

perryplatypus and Kalboz like this.
  12. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jealous!

But back to the point: Treat familiy or friends, or do something for a charity like Give Kids The World, Make a Wish or Clown Care Unit ( AKA Cliniclowns or Clown Doctors)...

(Or give some away for fundraisers)

13. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Considering that a lot of the best ICs are now at 50K per night...I'd burn them pretty quickly at one of those places, I think.

man on the move., I actually have the same "problem" with my PC points. I am always chasing status and/or want the benefits I get on a paid stay -- so don't deplete my points balance as frequently as I should. They certainly don't increase in value. I'm hoping that PC will discount some of the Any Hotel Anywhere cards during their summer GC promo -- those help you achieve the best of both worlds.

man on the move. likes this.
  14. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to see the desk agent's expression when you checked in. "Yeah, I live here now." :D

15. man on the move.

Status Points:
    i nearly live in the nola ic already... 3 weeks a month..

16. man on the move.

Status Points:
    The $1000 meeting rewards card is a little better than the AHAW deal....

17. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is that, exactly?

18. man on the move.

Status Points:
  19. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    I have 250k+ and don't know what to do with them!

20. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just cashed in about 450K for $1200 in Best Buy cards. I'm going to buy the new Apple MacBook Pro that is going to be announced on the 10th.

You can get $200 in gift cards for about 74,000 points. There's several vendors including Amazon which sell just about everything these days.

True the exchange rate isn't as good as spending the money with IHG, but I need a new laptop!

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The easiest solution to your problem is in post #3. :)

Scottrick likes this.
  22. man on the move.

Status Points:
    A 1000 Amex card was 225k points ? I need to look at that one again

23. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best way is to stay in an IHG hotel, one which offers the club lounge and which has a nice fitness-club and a huge pool...you are then in full board, doing some exercise and enjoying good food.

24. As an Air Canada SE I rarely use airline or hotel points myself but do convert ICHG points to Aeroplan so my wife can always travel in J. I too have been over a million PC at times as I was recently and Aeroplan had a 25% premium to move some points from ICHG to them. The conversion rate works value wise, particularly with surplus PC points and the premium offered by Aeroplan. Your favorite airline may have a similar program for conversion.

25. FishMN

FishMN Member

Status Points:
    My suggestion for a person who can't spend enough points:

Find that person/people who influenced you or others close to you (teacher or coach), who cares for others (minister or caregiver), or that friend who doesn't have deep pockets, and set them up with a long weekend or week's stay at the property you select or one of their own choosing.

I offered IC Lusaka, Zambia (previous PointBreak) to 4 missionary couples in Zambia as a get-a-way. This was a satisfying way to say "Thank you!" for their work. Try it--you will taste a wonderful reward as you encourage someone for their altruism.