What would you do? Question re: this winter storm impacting PHL

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by chrislacey, Jan 21, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I'm not normally an AA flyer, but my family is flying NAS-MIA-PHL on Saturday. Knowing PHL can be a disaster without weather, I'm anticipating MIA-PHL either won't fly or will be extremely delayed.

That said, they have a couple options (they only need to be home by late Sunday night for work Monday):

1. Stick with what they have. Hang out Saturday night @ MIA assuming the PHL flights are cancelled (I'll book a refundable hotel room for them just in case), and then standby for flights on Sunday (they have no status - so not sure how effective that will be, but there are 7 scheduled non-stops).

2. Proactively change them NAS-MIA-PHL on Sunday (there's space) and they spend an extra day in NAS. This concerns me because Sunday will obviously be a "get the operation back together" day if the weather forecasts are accurate. If that MIA-PHL Sunday flight doesn't operate, they'll have a way lower rank on the standby list versus getting to MIA on Saturday (right?)

I am not familiar with AA's typical response. Do they proactively cancel a ton of flights to resume operations quickly? Do they tend to stick it out a bit more and fly what they can (domestic operations)?

I know there's no way of knowing what is going to happen, but I'd love to hear some thoughts on what YOU would do if you were in the same situation.

Thanks for any/all feedback in advance!
    Chris

2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recent experience with the storms in DFW area in December (corrected from my January mistype) got the Mrs. stuck in the origination city for an extra night due to a precautionary cancellation. She's Gold. Was moved from a connection through DFW to a non stop the following morning on an early flight.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    chrislacey likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    They'll likely start canceling flights tomorrow. How much of the Saturday schedule they'll preemptively cancel is a bit of a wild card, but I would expect that if the plane is coming from MIA they'll leave it there on the ground until Sunday so as not to risk a diversion or getting it stuck. Weather waivers are out, I would encourage them to fly Sunday if they can.

chrislacey and flyforawg like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA announced that they're suspending ops at the three WAS airports for all of Saturday (no planes RON Friday night) and hope to resume mid-day Sunday. Not PHL yet, but that gives you an idea of how seriously it is being taken.

Looks like PHL is shut down for Saturday, too.

chrislacey likes this.
  5. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    used to be when you had a flight you pretty much got there no matter the weather because after all this was a contract, you paid often well in advance, no refunds, and they would get your there. unionized air people prided themselves in getting you there. you would see the ground staff running around in a blizzard. with pride (and pensions) now the airlines (Wall Street) want you to be proud of their creativity in canceling flights (anything to do with getting people to pay through the nose to fly out the next day?.) Jim Compton of United just got absurd press claiming United's expertise in stranding passengers even their highest spenders.... In Africa again this year, where air travel is incredibly good and cheap and is a reminder WHAT A DISGRACE WALL STREET greed has made the farce of modern days US travel, awful for all (Thanks administration and Congress).. You can still show up in JoBurg 45 minutes before a low cost, reliable flight into an easy to access airport. Air Travel Does Not have to SUCK, Wall Street's gangsters insist on it, though. Let's take back the skies and our country from Jim Cramer (who pointed for years at ripping air customers off at the next big thing. for the hedgies) And please stop apologizing here for the disgrace of air travel in our country in 2016-worse than ever...

6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    2 foot of snow on the ground should not be a problem, put some snow skis on the planes, full power...we can make it...

chrislacey likes this.
  7. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seth - you are right. Now if only I could actually get ahold of them! Their flight has already been cancelled. I never got a text alert either despite having it setup for them. Can't imagine what hold times are right now and I can't seem to change it online.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call in and you might get in the call-back queue. Better than waiting on hold, though no idea when you'll get the callback. You can also try Twitter but I assume they're similarly swamped.

chrislacey likes this.
  9. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Got them rebooked for a 9:30pm flight MIA-PHL on Monday. Agent suggested to keep checking availability (it is 6 people), but 2 of them need to be back on Sunday night. Hopefully I'll catch a couple Y seats open up and switch them. Otherwise they'll be spending Sunday at MIA on standby. The other 4 will be enjoying Miami Beach - hotel rooms booked :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny how they made it so much in the low tech 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's. Funny how a lot of things about air travel were better when it wasn't a criminal cartel. Also funny, how you can't rebook on a laptop in Two Thousand and Sixteen and how often it takes days to reach your destination because of "seat discipline/collusion." Always interesting to see them selling seats on days they're stranding tens of thousands. The truth today is if you are flying in the WINTER, good chance if there's a snow flake, you are stranded....for days. And this is a point of pride for United. Mr. Compton climbed out from under a rock a couple of weeks ago to say how skilled United became at cancelling flights. And they screw their highest paying people, because stranded is for everyone.