What would you do? Leaky ceiling from room above.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FlyingBear, Nov 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I am in Chicago hotel in a nice room and just noticed water dripping in the corner of he room. Appears that someone above me forgot to turn off off the bathtub. Now the damage is nothing major, but there is a wet spot on the carpet and a wet spot on the ceiling. I got sometime to kill, so posting a question to you guys: would you stay in the room or ask for another one? And no, I am not looking for any compensation here. Thanks!

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd ask for another one for certain... who knows what else is going on and the last thing I need is a bathtub crashing through the ceiling when I'm sleeping :)

3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Move... no one should have to put up with that.

Newscience and FlyingBear like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Move, unless it's a significant inconvenience to you.

Newscience and FlyingBear like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't move, were you planning to tell the hotel about your observation as a courtesy or have them wait until someone else reports the overflowing bathtub, at which time the damage could be much more extensive.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention a small puddle on the carpet now can be a huge puddle on the carpet in 10 minutes...

KENNECTED, FlyingBear and Newscience like this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Move now! Or, in the memorable words of Arnold Schwartznegger: " Get Out"!

I have moved from unsatisfactory hotel rooms in the US and abroad more times than I can count. This includes water dripping from an air conditioning unit and spreading in the carpet throughout the entire room earlier this year, to moving twice 2 weeks ago from an Atlanta hotel, first for ants crawling all over the walls and furniture of the room (you can't make this up), to a smoke-filled room in a non-smoking hotel.

IMHV, it's always worth the inconvenience! Moving is better than:
    - suffering in silence
    - being held accountable for the damage to the room
    - having your clothing, etc. damaged - at which point the hotel may ask you as to why you didn't say anything to them!

FlyingBear and Counsellor like this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen!

If you intend to stay, at least alert the hotel to the problem.

FlyingBear and Newscience like this.
  9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually posted this AFTER I let the hotel know about the issue. I think I got my priorities straight for the most part! They seemed to miss the part that I had a leaking ceiling and came to fix stuff in my room first, but eventually made their way up and got the guy above me to turn off the water in the tub. Don't know the full story unfortunately.

I asked to move and the first time i called about it, the lady responded with "why do you want to move" and was generally unimpressed with my explaining that there is a wet spot growing on the ceiling and wet carpet in my room. After 3 hours (I took a nap!), no one called me back and when I called again, no one was aware of my request. Next person took care of it for me in 10 minutes, so all was well. I got same type of room minus the leaking.

Thanks all for the feedback! After staying in some not so nice hotels, it helps to get another perspective on what should be tolerable :)

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  10. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    My superior had a leaky ceiling in China, and it destroyed his laptop overnight.

Best to inform someone useful, and change rooms.

Newscience likes this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FlyingBear,
    It's great to hear that the problem was eventually fixed! I hate to say that I've had better help from hotel staff in 3rd world countries! :) I think that if I ever had a problem with a hotel (or airline or airport) in Chicago, I'd contact SweetWillie on Milepoint ASAP! ;)
    Newscience

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I change hotel rooms over something other than my preference, such as a maintenance problem or something seriously wrong with the room, I expect an upgrade or something for the inconvenience. I certainly won't accept a worse room in the same category as I booked originally or the loss of an upgrade.

13. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll add that small leak will turn into mold eventually! Better to report it now than risk the health of others in a few months.

Newscience likes this.
  14. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the very least, notify the front desk of the issue. There will be at least two rooms with major issues if the leak/drip/mess is not attended to. I had to switch rooms at a Doubletree recently, and got moved from a King to a 2 queens :( despite being diamond. I mentioned at checkout that I had to be moved due to toilet issues (it kept burping! spitting up water all over the floor which freaked me out) and thankfully, they did reduce my rate from the king to the double. (although I think it possibly should have been more)

15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    To make sure it got across, I did notify and it was the very first thing I did. Posting about it came sometime after.

Thinking about it some more, while I am okay that I didn't get upgrade/whatever out of it, it would've been nice of someone to acknowledge the inconvenience. If I was to have left right away as I typically do, my luggage would've actually gotten completely soaked as it was right under the leak. I foresee myself writing a review.

16. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:

As I've often said before, what you "think" and what others "think" are usually two different things. If you want something, ask for it. Do not assume, that every customer service/company representative rep will give you something. Example, if you have an issue at a hotel, discuss it immediately and then say, "What is the hotel will to do to correct this situation?" If the person you're speaking with has no clue or authority then you should KNOW exactly what you want to correct the situation. Situations like this are a TWO WAY street.

Newscience likes this.
  17. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    KENNECTED brings up an excellent point! Don't put off a bad experience in a hotel room without doing something about, especially if it could get worse later on, or you could e held responsible for not reporting it. And again, treating people with respect and demanding the same never hurts your cause! ;)

I well recall booking a Caribbean vacation hotel stay many years ago, and we arrived at the hotel only to learn that our promised "welcome dinner" (as part of an advertised hotel package) wasn't going to be honored by the hotel, and was (perhaps) due to a misunderstanding on the part of our travel agent.
    I met with the hotel manager, and we (politely) discussed the issue at length. I left our conversation by saying to him: "just treat us the way that you would like to be treated". Imagine our surprise the next day, when we were provided a lobster dinner by the hotel! :cool:

18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Johannesburg last Saturday and it was storming outside something really fierce. My SO pointed out that the Windows in our room is leaking from the rain outside and it was dripping pretty steadily inside the room. So we called down to the front desk and explained the situation and they sent someone up. While waiting for the Maintenance guy to come to our room we noticed that the walls had ants crawling on them. :eek:

So I said screw it I'm going downstairs and asked for another room. They reluctantly agreed to swap rooms and said they would send me some points for the inconvenience without my asking.