What would you do if you needed at least 70K AAdvantage miles FAST?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by lohoATX, Jul 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. lohoATX

lohoATX New Member

Status Points:
    I travel fairly frequently and am Gold status on AA, but due to some family travel issues earlier this year, have found myself short 70 - 80K miles to use for a family vaca I'm trying to book asap. It's not worth buying them; that's almost the same cost as the tickets themselves. And b/c I try to concentrate most of my travel on AA, I've got relatively low miles on other airlines, so a trade on something like points.com is out.

Ever heard of making an agreement on an advance? I.e., if someone has a boatload of AA miles they don't plan to use for a while, they'd "loan" them to me, then I'd repay them as soon as I've re-accumulated those points over the next months (which is a sure-thing).

I haven't see any place where agreements like this have been structured. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much for your insights.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! Frankly, if I were so short on miles, I would consider using our good old national currency for my travel needs. Miles were never intended to be as liquid, and therefore hard (expensive) to accumulate or even spend in a hurry. I'm also pretty sure that private swaps or loans of miles are against AA rules, even if someone is willing to arrange them.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

Howdy lohoATX, and welcome to MP! ;)

Your post elicits a few thoughts in my head.....

1. Your suggestion toes dangerously on the line of breaking the the AAdvantage program's terms and conditions. It states "At no time may AAdvantage mileage credit or award tickets be purchased, sold or bartered (including but not limited to transferring, gifting, or promising mileage credit or award tickets in exchange for support of a certain business, product, or charity and/or participation in an auction, sweepstakes, raffle, or contest)." If one were to trade with another individual, I'm assuming said person would require some type of collateral to ensure your repayment. Exchange of their miles and your collateral is quite likely to cross this line outlined in the T&Cs and thus put you both at risk for losing your status with AA and all your accumulated miles.

2. If you aren't looking to provide collateral for the trade (which I personally still think may cross the line on AA's rules), isn't this the type of activity that's best left to personal relationships? Those who've gotten to know me on this forum and offline can probably vouch that I'm quite a friendly person and I tend to go out of my way to help people, especially with AA or travel issues. But even I'd be far from willing to give away 70K AA miles to someone I didn't know on the simply promise of repayment. I doubt there's a website out there where you could find someone willing to simply give you miles in the hopes of repayment without needing to give them something in return.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck in finding your 70K miles in some (allowable!) way! Let us know what you end up doing.

Aktchi likes this.
  4. lohoATX

lohoATX New Member

Status Points:

Thanks, M7VO. Appreciate the thoughts -- I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to take a pass on this year's vaca and strategically accumulate as many points as I can (or pay the big bucks on tix). Thanks again for reply.

5. lohoATX

lohoATX New Member

Status Points:

Hi, DD - thanks for the reply. I appreciate the cautionary nature of it -- guess the ability to "share" is probably more limited than I assumed. But I agree it's definitely an agreement based on trust, and I'm tapping my own network to see who might be willing to trust me that much. I figured if anyone would know where to strike a deal, y'all would, and now it appears that unless a friend steps in, I'll be strategically accumulating miles for a postponed vaca for a while.

Thanks again - LohoATX