What Would Be Your Max Auction Bid?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ella, Jun 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering a saver J award down there is 100,000 miles, five nights at that Sofitel during late September would be $276 per night per Hotels.Com for a total of $1380 (and the same reservation is available for 261,700 miles), I would say I wouldn't bid more than 200,000 miles as it is a bad deal at more than that. 261,700 miles is worth a lot more than $1380, so using miles for the hotel is silly. Even with the other stuff included in that auction package, in no way does it make sense to spend the miles that auction costs.

Flyer1976 and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's see

• Trip dates are September 12, 2012 through September 18, 2012.*
    • Roundtrip, BusinessFirst airfare for two (2) to Buenos Aires. 200,000
    • Hotel accommodations for five (5) nights at the Sofitel Buenos Aires with early check-in (subject to availability) and daily breakfast. 35,000
    • Lunch and dinner reservations (meals not included). 0
    • Private car service from airport to hotel. 3000
    • Private helicopter tour of Buenos Aires, including transport to and from helipad. 25,000
    • Choice of private cooking class or wine and cheese tasting. 0
    • Private one-hour tango lesson for two (2). -50,000
    • Reservations for tango performance with dinner and transportation (cost not included). 0
    • Choice of private urban graffiti tour with expert guide or tour of the MALBA contemporary art museum. 0
    • Comprehensive sightseeing materials, including maps, listings of museums, galleries, landmarks, monuments, restaurants, nightlife, shopping and more. 500
    Total: 213,500

BuckleandBoots and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only the poor soul that bid 416,000 miles was a member of milepoint.

jetsetboy likes this.
  5. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man, I can only dream of what better things I could do with 416,000 miles.

jetsetboy, PLUS_1, Mapsmith and 2 others like this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a better deal than domestic coach at least. 2x low biz tix plus a bunch of random stuff at around 1cpm isn't completely terrible. Not good, but we've all seen worse.

I'd do the trip on my own schedule, chipping in some cash and hotel points, and have the miles to do it again (or go somewhere else).

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never understand the people that bid exorbitant amounts of miles on these "experiences" though... I guess if you have millions of miles burning a hole in your pocket then it's easier than rolling your own, but you have to be oblivious to the value of the experience and the miles to bid that high.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The other question is what dollar value would people put on the ground package?

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the 419K is completely unreasonable for someone who doesn't really know the deal. Considering that a couple years ago a USB hard drive that retailed for $99 went for something like 80K points I'm willing to believe anything these days.

Or 157K points for a $600 iPad.

iolaire and perryplatypus like this.
  10. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    So then my thinking was not out of line. I really want to go to Buenos Aires, have more miles than discretionary income these days, but that sounded high to me too. Thanks for the feedback !

Mackieman likes this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a much better deal than e.g a 17 in macbook pro!

Honestly, it's not something I would redeem for, but it's surprisingly in the realm of realistic in terms of value. Plenty of people do a lot worse redeeming on domestic flights.

Wandering Aramean and ella like this.
  12. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think a max of 250K or 300K at most for the trip is reasonable. I wonder if the auction will go as high as 600K.

Sweet Willie and ella like this.
  13. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's about 6 days left on the auction, and it seems like overnight it went from 350k to 415k, and it has stayed there for the last couple of days.

14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a mileage run earlier this year to EZE. Unfortunately I only had enough time for an eight hour tour of the city and then had to return. From what I saw of the city, I would highly recommend going there, but the auction price is absurd. You can find much better deals out there. You could sell your points to one of the mileage brokers at 1.5 cents per mile and come out way ahead.

ella likes this.
  15. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "poor soul" is most likely the auctioneer, which is the same entity as the seller. Oh wait a minute - that doesn't sound like an honest enterprise. LOL

16. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I can safely say that no one in this forum would bid over 300k let alone 400k. Then again, we make up at most 5% of the potential audience of this auction.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  17. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    As much as we all hate to see miles wasted, this auction is a win-win.

Someone will be happy with this purchase.
    United is cashing out some miles at below market value.
    Now there will be 400k miles less trying to take upgrades or award tickets.

ella and Price123 like this.
  18. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    In order to honestly evaluate this question, I had to replace EZE with places that actually are on my bucket list, such as Maldives or Seychelles. I wouldn't spend over 400k points even for places that are at the top of my bucket list, however I would be willing to spend maybe 50% more points than normal.

19. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is true, but people like us addicted to loyalty programs always want to get the most for our frequent flyer miles or loyalty points.

ella likes this.
  20. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Auction ended at noon today and the winning bid was 501,000 miles. Not as high as I expected it to go, but still way more than I'd be willing to pay !

21. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think we're making the assumption of 200k worth of points for 2 tickets in Saver C. If the award is really for anytime C, then that's really worth 400k. It's up to you whether or not the flexibility of an anytime award is worth the extra 200k, though.

(I missed the auction, so I'm not sure if the wording indicated if it had to be saver or not...)

22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The dates were fixed 9/12 to 9/18, so it's not like you could have chosen to use them any other time.

23. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The auction was for fixed dates.

Honestly everyone probably wins here. They get a bunch of miles off the books, the winner gets a great vacation (at a rate not hideously above market prices - this group places a lot more value on flexibility to use miles for biz flights and emphasis on doing this, plus flexibility. The planned itinerary would certainly not be cheap to replicate with cash, if it was really what you wanted.)

ella and Wandering Aramean like this.
  24. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I definetely think there are better uses for spending 500K worth of miles, but each person can decide the merits of this type of an auction.