What wines are you serving for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by RSSrsvp, Oct 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    What wines/wines are you serving your guests for Thanksgiving? If you are bringing a bottle to a friend or relative please list what wine/wines they are also.

NYBanker and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    2009 Byron Julia Pinot $32

2008 j dusi Zinfandel $32

Great great values

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are always a few bottles of zin from Ridge, sometimes even a Montebello :D. I don't know what else my parents will pull out of their cellar.

NYBanker likes this.
  4. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have some 2007 zins from Loxton in Sonoma which should pair well with the meal. At $25 a bottle from the winery when I purchased them it was a great deal. Chris Loxton is known for his zins!

loxton1.jpg

loxton2.jpg

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    probably a red one.....:D

You could serve me balsamic vinegar and I'd probably say what a great tasting vintage........

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice!

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll probably have a few Turley Zins (not sure which vineyards though) and two mid-90's Ridge Montebellos (same as Scottrick's family) which remain from an original case.

Each of these are my favorites in their categories. Turley makes what I think to be the best Zins. Montebello is my favorite American Cab blend (meritage). I'm liking it better than Dominus these days.

Scottrick likes this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree 100%. If I am very lucky, we'll have a Turley (I think I've only had two). My parents used to be members and got the Montebellos as they were released, so they have a lot stocked up. The Turley they usually buy as they go. I was tempted to buy it when dining at Bouchon in Vegas earlier this year.

Last time I flew down to visit, we were touring Sonoma and I had to convince them to stop at Ridge. Apparently they got a bad rap for service. But we were helped by someone friendly I remembered from the last trip, and she was kind enough to open a 2008 Montebello for us. You can't beat the view either. :cool:

NYBanker likes this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am still a little like that. I don't like paying more than $50 because I don't trust myself. But I happily accept wine my parents think is past its prime.

NYBanker and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  10. DCA Rob

DCA Rob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whatever wines arrive in my Wine Insiders Sampler Case I order to get a hit for the US Airways Grand Slam (assuming it arrives by then). <g>

NYBanker likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see you, too, have been properly trained by United Airlines ;) I will be serving my guest (eh, my wife) whatever the UA FA will have on her C cabin drink cart that day ...

12. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    For many reasons, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, not the least of which is the ability to open, share and drink heroic amounts of wine with friends and family. For years, we always had the same group of wines: Baumard Savennieres (fair match); Talley Chardonnay (pretty good match); Ogier or Jamet Cote Rotie (not such a good match, but a lot of fun to drink); and some producer of Vosne Romanee Beaumonts (great match). A couple of years ago we decided to break with tradition, and have gone all over the map with great matches like Williams Selyem Pinot, old Joseph Phelps Insignia, a few different Crus Beaujolais, and some roses (which truth be told was the best match of all). Last year, we had an '85 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia RIoja that was really fantastic.

A long-winded introduction to what we're drinking this year: '10 Lucien Crochet Sancerre Rose; '01 Lopez de Heredia Vina Gravonia Rioja Blanco; '09 Brun Beaujolais Ancien (infanticide!), and a special undetermined red, probably an old cab or a Burgundy, to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary that falls the day before.

Happy drinking!

13. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    We bought a case of 96 Duval Leroy a few years ago and open one every Thanksgiving. For the first few years it was (perhaps understandably) underwhelming, but last year it showed really well... looking forward to checking in on it.

14. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    2009 Erste & Neue "Stern" Sauvignon Blanc

15. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends upon whether we have dinner at my home - more appropriate wine storage - or our shared apartment 4 hours away. The most likely candidate is a Tennessee viognier.

16. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great thread. Nice to see a quality wine thread on a travel board. :cool:

Zin and Pinot Noir are both good choices. I've been thinking about which wine to bring to my sisters house, and I'm still thinking. I have assorted bottles of Sojourn and Sea Smoke (may be on the heavy side). I also have some August West Rosellas that I may share. Can I get back to you?? :D

SC Flier likes this.
  17. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chateau Ste. Michelle Gewurztraminer. Hard to beat a good Gewurztraminer with foul. :)

18. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I will start with the pinots and then graduate to the zins during the course of the meal for Thanksgiving.

19. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    During the cooking process,:eek::D and for the appetizer (shrimp louie), Korbel Brut, as always.
    For the main course, Kendall-Jackson chardonnay, as always.

icurhere2 likes this.
  20. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    You sound like a creature of habit. :)

21. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I got elegance.

22. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Whatever red I feel in the mood to drink that day. I seem to be the only one in my family who doesn't drink canned beer or pink crap. I'm thinking I might open a bottle of Merryvale Profile if I can keep it hidden from those who think it's close enough to pink to be turned into a spritzer.

HaveMilesWillTravel and Gaucho like this.
  23. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, now that we are on the other side of the meal, here's what we wound up drinking. As advertised, we had the 2010 Lucien Crochet Sancerre Rosé although that never made it to the turkey. We actually drank it with some simple tapas as the afternoon unfolded. With dinner, we did have the 2001 Lopez de Heredia Vina Gravonia Blanco, which was the best match for turkey that we have ever drunk. Our red was a 1993 Jadot Vosne Romanee Les Suchots that is simply delicious, and went great with the turkey.

Feeling very grateful and blessed. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

25. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I popped a 09 Freeman Chard, a 08 Holdredge Bucher pinot noir, and a 07 Carlisle Rossi zin.

SC Flier likes this.