What Will It Take To Make Hawaiian A *A Member

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Gulfstream 550, Sep 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gulfstream 550

Gulfstream 550 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What would it take to get Hawaiian to become part of *A? Persoanlly, I would rather fly Hawaiian to/from Hawaii, and with all the continued Asian expansion and South Pacifc service, I am perplexed why Hawaiian has not chosen an alliance to be loyal with. Or, is it because they do so well being independent?

Kung Pao likes this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think part of it is they have to be invited as well. I would think it could only help a carrier to be in an alliance to open their markets.

3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got a hunch UA would veto that.

Scottrick likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No carrier is eager to let a competitor with lots of service on the same routes into its alliance. The existing alliance member can lose a lot more than they win from increased network traffic, including potential codeshares.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    hawaiian doesnt bring much to the table for *A. *A needs to focus on enhancing partnerships to the mideast and especially south america. with emirates slowly taking over european routes to the mideast, it would be nice to see Etihad join *A.

Then again, potential partner airlines see joining an alliance as too restrictive. Especially when they would be forced to open up seats for redemption, etc. Its similar to independent teams in football. The reason notre dame never joins a conference is because they could no longer cut their own tv contracts or choose who they play.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much like AS and B6 I believe this is the case. They don't need the alliance membership for feed or marketing because of the bilateral agreements they have.

JohnDeere19 and MSPeconomist like this.
  7. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both AA and UA are major players to the Islands. They certainly don't need, nor probably want HA in either of their alliance. While it would probably benefit the flier, it certainly wouldn't help either AA or UA. To say that HA is doing so well, that they wouldn't want to align with either of those two, I think all have to do is look at HA stock. Not very good. (IMO) Closed at $4.47 today, up 2¢. But HA is down 43% from YTD. And the real sleeper for a new player in the Hawaiian market from the west coast, at least for non-Hawaiian residents, really appears to be Alaska Airlines. Again, just my opinion.

wombat18, Toula and Scottrick like this.
  8. Gulfstream 550

Gulfstream 550 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All good points and interesting insight - thanks everyone.

However, Mark Dunkerly has done an amazing job at turing this airline around. IMHO.

9. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS is certainly becoming a player in the west-coast to Hawaii market. When AS announced SAN-HNL the fares dropped quite a bit, but that might have been temporary. AS has a lot of flights going to Hawaii from most anywhere on the west coast.

I think the bigger player in the Hawaii market will be WN if they choose to go for it. In that case HA will have tons of competition and I'm not sure what their value to customers will be. Frequent flyers and those with status will stick to their own airline if they have capacity and WN would bring in the low-fare crowd. So I don't see any alliance looking for HA as a partner anytime soon - they might be hit from all sides in due time.

cvsara likes this.
  10. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or HA will be consumed by another carrier. Bankrupt could happen, but that would leave Hawaii without a local airline. Don't think that would ever happen.
    Wife and I visit 2 to 4 times a year. Usually UA since we both have status, but AA too.

When Go became a player in the local market, prices were dirt cheap intra island Like $29 one way, All that did was bankrupted Aloha, and really put the hurt on HA.