What will it take to convince AC to post on MP ?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by milchap, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the question.

AC seems to have a bad taste about recent experiences on FT.

This board plans to be respectful and more friendly.

What will it take to convince AC to first lurk then post?

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    About 1 week ago I emailed a couple of folks in AC about MP ... but to be honest if MP starts showing the same level of toxicity as FT still does even today (how many new threads do we need about eUpgrades not being enough!) I do not see them posting here - I would like them to be here definitely!

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is up to us to make sure that our comments are constructive. It is my hope that AC is still open to positive suggestions. The latest edition of en Route does have Calin speaking about sites such as ours.

flying-gal likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not disagree - but if posters choose to blast, beatch consistenly, etc. they will overshadow the constructive posts and that is exactly what the beatchers are trying to do ... overshadow the good.

charlilo and Exiled in Express like this.
  5. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get the impression that AC does not really have an idea on how they want to approach forum participation. Until they establish that strategy, they should avoid. Again, I like to mention how the Starwood Lurkers handle their forum participation. Starwood seems to have set guidelines on what they can say or not say. It works very well.

As for being nicer here...well, when this site hits critical mass, it will be the same as FT. Lots of keyboard warriors in cyberspace.

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that AC has flagged them ....at least I have !

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    That could very well be, but AC having flagged them means nothing to a newbie wanting to join the site and seeing the diatribes and pontifications day-in and day-out. It detracts from the overall tone.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know that may not be a bad idea ... I know they always tried to post (they being AC participants) what they felt was good and valuable information, and often it was not accepted as such and worse! Unsure how the Starwood forum works ... what do they do that you think would be useful here?

Ayup - very very true! I hope it will not be the same however.

9. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope AC flags them to magically always show R0 for them! [​IMG]

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    then the only fool proof solution to this is a private site with very few members......BUT that defeats the purpose here......so we have to be realistic and create a culture strong enough to have the nut cases self unselect [​IMG]

11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it will also be interesting to see who sticks around here as so many are still saying why bother having MP as well as FT.

12. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are three of them, two who actively participate and one currently in "training". They do a lot of what AC does, but also help in customer service issues and clarify a lot of questions on the SPG program. While they announce promos, i find they rarely if ever comment when posters complain about something such as "this promo doesn't work for me! It sucks!"

For me, i find AY (and thus AC) spends too much time defending or justifying the AC program when someone complains about it, when he (they) should be taking a clinical/detached approach to the forum. I think because that personal element was introduced, it changed the way the forum participants viewed the company presence, which for me is also one of a keyboard warrior. What company would have one of their employees sometimes arguing in cyberspace with anonymous forum posters? That doesn't/didn't make sense to me.

That's why I believe AC should step back until they've established some internal social media guidelines.

2MM_Guy, rehoult, unclepants and 2 others like this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information - interesting how they are doing it there.

14. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    What you flag vs, what AC flags may be different.

My observations would presume that one long time banned FTer is well regarded by AC.
    He posts here and is candid with feedback and calling out the deadbeats for who they are.
    Whether we can all agree as this site progresses remains to seen

YVR-Flyer and ACMM like this.
  15. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Candid feedback is always appreciated ... it is how it is presented is the key point IMHO.

2MM_Guy, flying-gal and milchap like this.
  17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not always the message but the medium counts big time.

18. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    The same people who have been the cause of AC's drop in participation on FT are most definitely already present over here (some may not even know it themselves), and you can be pretty sure AC is in no rush to get back involved with a group that is essentially just a subset (with many of the same loudest gripers) as has been seen on FT.

And personal attacks were most definitely not the only reason AC withdrew.

ACMM and milchap like this.
  19. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please say more......

ACMM likes this.
  20. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed 100% and some of the tone of the FT posts are already seeping in here sadly ... fortunately not the 10's of I hate xxx threads ...

21. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    The message needs to be presented.I may not concur nor even like it. To the point is great.Take the personal agenda out and we have a winner,the way I see it anyway.

22. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:

Tenmoc likes this.
  23. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to remember that AY (Andrew, Empress ) was a big time FT poster well before he was employed by AC. We got to know him on a personal level in the earlier days of FT. When he was hired by AC, it would have been hard for Andrew to all of a sudden treat his friends from FT in a non-personal way.

Personally, I think AY has done a good job of trying to still inform posters on FT and also be respectful of his job with AC. The way people treated him on FT in the past few months was utterly disgusting. You can see why he wouldn't want to enter the ring of abuse again.

AY is always a very respectful young man.
    AC was very lucky to get him to work for them as he was also an extremely knowledgeable FF.

If Andrew or another AC employee does visit MP, I hope that the posters are polite and respectful. There are ways to disagree with somebody's opinion or point of view without being downright RUDE.

Gargoyle, charlilo, ypqRD and 4 others like this.
  24. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am aware of his previous history as an FTer, but as a rep of the company on FT (official or not) and a non-anonymous one to boot, acting as a spokesperson on behalf of AC on said forum, he, or rather AC needed to follow a different strategy. When you are arguing why ACs program is better than UAs program with trolls, you need to step back.

That doesn't excuse the behaviour of the posters who were abusive towards him.

charlilo likes this.
  25. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.