What will happen with AA and US Airways merger

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by natjwalker, Apr 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. natjwalker

natjwalker New Member

Status Points:
    Wondering if AA will become part of star alliance? I love UA and love that I gain miles on UA for flying on US airways because of star alliance. I am nervous we will loose this with the merger??

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been known since before the merger was announced that the new AA will be part of oneworld.

3. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's on the US Airways website :)

We are pleased to announce that American Airlines and US Airways will combine to create a premier global airline. Our combined airline joins two highly complementary networks with access to the best destinations around the globe – offering you increased choices, improved efficiency and better options to explore the globe with our oneworld® Alliance.

flyforawg and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, the alliance with oneworld will remain very tight.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a good thing, IMO. If AA/US left oneworld, oneworld would have no US-based airlines, and would be in deep trouble. And, while I will do everything humanly possible to avoid the combined airline & avoid giving Dougie and his AA union cronies any of my money, if I am forced to fly AA for some reason (I live in the Washington DC area), at least I'll get to earn BA miles.

6. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll post here b/c my ponderment matches the thread title (which should be something about alliances as opposed to merger generically...but who am I to question!?) :)

I have grown to love US over the years. There is one thing that really, really bothers me about the airline, and one that is just curiosity.

Legroom / seat pitch. It is absolutely impossible to work on a laptop in coach on US especially if the person in front of you reclines, which is completely within their discretion to do so. For me, I don't want to watch a movie or read a book when I fly. I want to get work done...not possible in US coach and there is no economy plus option. Think we'll see any seat tweaking or reconfigs system wide?

Entertainment. I'm just curious...will we see it return to the mainline aircraft? It doesn't really bother me personally, but it just screams "cheap" to me. Will entertaiment return or will it go on all flights company wide?

7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard from a good source that there will be duplicate workforce changes coming in the next 30 days or so. Could be interesting. I wouldn't want to be based in PHX.

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's likely there will be US cabin reconfiguration to adopt Main Cabin Express at some point; I wouldn't hold my breath for it in 2014, though. That's easy (a day or three in the shop). Adding IFE fleetwide is quite a bit more expensive (and less likely), but I would imagine the fleet will have WiFi.

Mike Reed likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given where UA is going with IFE on their Airbus fleet (wifi streaming), I would be surprised if USAA decided to stick personal screens into the US planes or bring back the overhead stuff.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't imagine either company would be making changes without all the right approvals in place for this to go through. While it's almost a given that approvals happen, the "almost" should be enough to prevent workforce disruption.

These things are in the shop all the time for their various checks, etc. Wasn't that how AA rolled MCE out?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think they will either (though it does mean some fleet consistency problems down the road). It depends on how much AA wants to invest in the PMUS fleet. I suspect they won't be doing that stuff until they are well into the merger (so I'd expect to see PMUS metal that's maybe gotten just a paint job for quite some time).

True. I don't know how fast they will do it in 2014, though I think they could certainly start at some point then, and even finish it by year's end, but it will take a while. I would imagine the fleet will be quite mixed through the year when it comes to which planes have MCE and which do not (and the PMUS planes will stay on PMUS routes for quite a while and v.v.).

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the pilots will fly "their own company's" planes for quite a while... I think I read three years somewhere. That buys them time for workforce integration and fleet alignment issues.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know/heard if Citibank will create a CC that will transfer ThankYou pts to the new AA?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they end up keeping the rights to issue the AA credit card (which most of us seem to think they will), they might do that. But, if you remember the clusterf*** that happened when there was talk about Citi allowing the transfer of TYP to airlines, that may take a while. Transferring TYP to Hilton really doesn't interest me that much - the Hilton co-branded Citi and AmEx cards have better earning ratios.

And they wouldn't really have to create a new credit card to do that, they'd just have to allow you to transfer points.

SuperKirby likes this.