What were the benifits with previous Premium Memberships?

Discussion in 'Premium Membership' started by Nitroxprt, Dec 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Nitroxprt

Nitroxprt Silver Member

Status Points:
    About a year + ago I received an e mail with a link to milepoint. When I opened it the message stated all memberships were sold out for that year.
    So I started following the various threads and like so many of you am waiting for the new PM's to be announced.
    I did not learn what benefits previous membership offerings provided, so I am interested just from a historical stand point, and to compare with my status (s) now.

I have United MP Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG (Holiday Inn) Gold Elite, and Hertz Presidents Circle.
    Thanks for any info some of you long standing members can provide for a relative newcomer to MP.

2. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    blackjack-21 likes this.
  3. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup, definitely meaningful..:p

jackplum likes this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that you've provided more meaningfully supporting content for Nitroxprt, may we now return to our regularly scheduled semi-program, in all seriousnesses and as evidenced by the P3 or semi-similar threads?

HaveMilesWillTravel and jackplum like this.
  5. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:

What is P3?

blackjack-21 likes this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beats me, but it logically (or illogically as the case may be) would assumingly be that which might, eventually, follow the P2 that you seemingly semi-alluded to in your post somewhere previously above.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure it's PSchrödinger, but I opened the box, and all there was inside was a dead cat. :(

blackjack-21 likes this.
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I believe you've hit the nail on the head, although the equation makes no reference to a cat, still that may be the actual answer to the continuation of the evergoing question.

Note that although I referenced the link to his equation, it didn't seem clickable on here, thereby causing me to delete same without a conclusive indication of how or why. :oops:

9. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    blackjack-21 likes this.
  10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jack you've posted the same exact link that you had originally posted correctly as an answer to Nitroxprt's question in post #3 above! My reference to not being able to post a link in post #9 above was in answer to eponymous_coward's mentioning he thought it was PSchrödinger, for which I duly checked and found a link to his theoretical theory, which provided an explanation of PS's theory that showed the possibility that E_C was indeed correct at the time. I just didn't post that link even though I'd copied and pasted it correctly into my post, but then when I tried to click on said link to doublecheck that it came to the same theoretical theory, the link wouldn't take the clicking, so I deleted that link as it would have lead to nothing conclusive.

However you've got the wrong Penguin in your icon, as it's too small to appropriately designate the type of penguin required, which is much larger and from a different location.

11. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well all I can say is that the cat is alive on my latest link so all is good in the world.

Of course, I could have just copied the whole page to the post thus proving there is more than one way to skin a cat.

As for the penguin, that is a four legged Canadian Penguin, one of the few remaining and now in a breeding program on Main Duck Island.

12. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, of course, I should have noticed the notifications. Glad your cat is still lifelike, our SuperCat for 17 1/2 years was a wonderful addition to our family.

The another new Penguin species you've now apparently discovered once again should further enhance the breed enormously, however I'd hesitate to have them breeding on Main Duck Island as the proliferication of ducks normally there at breeding season during high tide times may result in an additional even newer sub-species of DuckGuins, or possibly even PenDucks, thereby further confusing those of us who are so easily confused, such as myself. Especially myself, as indicated previously.

jackplum likes this.
  13. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well ... said to say but the tides on Lake Ontario are less than 2 inches. Wind driven build up on the eastern shore can be much more - on the order of two or more feet.

I would be more concerned over Cormorants than ducks. They have nearly taken over nearby Little Galloo Island.

So perhaps we should be looking for Corguins

blackjack-21 likes this.
  14. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tides in Lake Ontario and indeed the actual lake level have risen a bit more this year then in past years, making your ducks float higher then recently. Cormorants from Bigger Galloo also have increased dramatically, since besides the fish they enjoy, they savor those zebra mussels that are trying to infest the Great Lakes, as a snack after a fish dinner. Therefore, I'd be definitely concerned if, besides the ducks propagating the new sub-species of Penguin you've discovered, the Cormorants also decide to add to the Penguin population too, at which time there may then be an even newer species (subbed of course) of STRIPED PENGDUCKORANTS, which would really be more readily differentiated from all those other discoveries in the species you've heretofore alluded to, although their longer thin necks and striped shortened wings would probably set them convincingly apart from a distance.

We'll have to keep a lookout on our drives along the lake for your larger little penguins of all dimensions and will report back any sightings of same. Keep your CB radio tuned to channel 33 at all times for such reports, as infrequent as they may seem, if at all.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  15. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is a wonderful opportunity

Galloo Island, or Bigger Galloo as you called it, is up for sale.

Truly a great deal for less than $ 10 million.

I have started going through trash bins looking for returnable cans to get the downpayment.

Keeps me busy while waiting for P3

blackjack-21 likes this.
  16. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea Jack. I'd offer to help with the down payment but the cans up here aren't returnable unless you're a big beer drinker, so I won't be able to pass along all the refunds to you. However, when you do finally purchase the island, be sure to let me know as I've got five spinning rod and reel outfits (gave away a fly fishing set that I didn't use) in our locker gathering dust as my fishing time had been limited the past few years, and now I've got lots of catching up to do. Does it come with boats (at that price it really should) to get to and from the landings and spend some serious fish-catching time on the water? Is there a house on the island or should I bring a puptent for my sleeping quarters? What about hot and cold running Port-A-Pots, or will I have to remember what to do when on a field trip in the Army?

Less then $10 million leaves lots of room for guessing...so if it's anywhere near $9.99 mil or thereabouts, I don't think my checkbook can handle it, so you'll have to go it alone. Sorry.

BTW, where the heck is "Little" Galloo Island as you called it, and how far is it from the Bigger one? Never mind, I'll check my trusty internet mappings to further pinpoint the best fishing areas nearby, and find good spots for shore lunches with all the Walleyes I plan to land. Not into ice fishing, but I'd guess it'll be well into the Spring Walleye season opening (usually in late May) before your can-collection grows enough to purchase the property, so get moving on it, as next winter's freeze over is not that far off. Of course you knew that, up here in the frozen northerly woods there's only two seasons....Winter and July.

jackplum likes this.
  17. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    blackjack-21 likes this.
  18. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course we have July !!! It follows June (I once knew a girl named June in high school) in that July is usually more extremely humugityfied with lots of thunderous thunderstorms including hail, which finally drives away the massive, hungryly biting blackflies left over from June. But since we're citified dwellers we only see those flies on fishing trips up north to the French River.

Thanks for the link, but I was able to find the islands (note..plural) myself and determine that there are, in fact, two of same, both a Bigger and a Littler Galloo. I thought you might have been buying the little one and was concerned that the appearance of what seemed like a grass airstrip might have been too short to land your large private Gulfstream exec-jet there unless you had the optional quickly retractable landing gear that became pontoons as you ran off the end of the runway into the water. But it appears you're purchasing the larger island, which is decidedly better since the paved runway allows you to leave your Cessna 152 at home and use the jet after all. Good choice!

What concerns me though is the home on the island, although "recently" remodeled, was built so long ago, and probably has been through many years of storms and other wetnesses so as to be moldier then even I am over time. And an optional septic tank is available too!!! Mention also, besides the fine fishing for Bass (smallies and large mouth) Salmon (rarer that far from the larger western part of the Lake) and other species, but no mention of Walleyes, which are my most favoritist fresh water edible fish, when prepared properly with a skillet of onions, potatoes, and varied spices for a large shore lunch. No problem for you though, as you'll probably be tending to the large herds of cattle, sheep, and other grazing animules indicated, so not much time for wetting your lines or anything else wetable for that matter.

You also forgot to mention the larger flock of Canada Geeses that also have been reported to inhabit the island most of the time. Of course, that fact is useful for fertiliser for keeping your vegetable garden growing throughout the year, however, it also adds to the concern of which we spoke priorly about the Cormorants possibly producing a newer species of Penguins. Add them to the ducks, cormos, and now the geeses, and those poor Penguins won't know which end is up, with the newer yet undiscovered subbier-species of PengDuckCormoGoose's with the variable lengths of striped wings soon appearing after you buy the island. That's something to definately keep in mind and consider too, as you could then add a zoo with those newer sub-species.

No Jack, don't pay the $9.9 million they want for the island. It's too small a landfill. Probably about $4.7 mil is a good starting offer (and would mean less cans to collect...easier on your back too), and then bid down from there as they try to get you to increase your bid. Since they've been trying to sell the place with the house since 1787, you should have a good chance of getting it at a lower price since it's been on the market for so long. And only two boats? Maybe drop your bid to $3.8 mil instead.

Good luck, and keep those empty cans acomin', however you may acquire them. Just stay tuned for the inevitable P3 arrival, as it will sell out very quickly if all the indications of interest are correct, and if you've already spent most of your fortune on the island you may not then be able to afford the additional cost of the P3's enhanced membership.

Little did I know way, way back when, as I left for my annual two weeks of Army Reserve summer camp training at Camp Drum in Watertown for several years, how close I was at the time to that island retreat, and how much less it would probably have cost to purchase so very long ago. Lots less cans, that's for sure. (But here's another late arriving thought....If the island is not too distant from the boundaries of Camp (Fort) Drum, wouldn't the constant booming of the artillery pieces being fired day and night affect the great fishing and bird's droppings there? You might further consider lowering the amount of your bid in light of the recent awakening of my memory.)

jackplum likes this.
  19. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    After reading and re-reading my above reply, I've come to the conclusion that it's way too long and used up too much of MP's webspace including it's bits and bytes. Therefore, and of course only therewhich, and in the interests of complete brevity and briefness too, it would seem apparently better if I shortened my response to your response.

As suchly, I decided to reduce the naming or nomencloture's indications of your new-found but not yet discovered sub-sub-sub species of those little critters to a shortened form: PeGooCoDu, but that doesn't fit either. What about using the term: DuCoPeGo, which might be even more appropriate. Other then that, suggestions are open for consideration, although as noted, brevity yet clarity is of the essence. Last possibility would perhaps be: CoGoDuPe, but there may be many more combinations still not noted here, as E_C's reference to PSchrödinger's complete formulation (and which see in it's entirely on Wikipedia) pointed out when used as a source of finding more descriptive descriptions.

20. seeword

seeword Silver Member

Status Points:
    Waiting patiently for an update re new premium membership.

21. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was an oldy but goody!