What we take for granted...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Steven Schwartz, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a call a few days ago from my niece's father-in-law - wealthy semi-retired attorney. He was taking a cruise from Bangkok to Dubai and his son told him to get in touch with me for help/advice with flights. As you all know, it's one thing to be successful and yet another to be able to afford First Class travel!

He had AA and AMEX miles/points. It took forever! I had to walk him through setting up a BA account, getting online access to his AMEX points, and finding his AA info. I had already done some research and found Cathay First Class tickets from JFK to BKK and BA First Class from Dubai to JFK. As you can imagine, he was convinced I am a friggin genius and how with a bit of knowledge, it's really not all that hard.

In the end, he got both sets of First Class tickets and could not have been more thrilled. Just to make him feel better, I told him to search for paid tickets just to see what the retail was for what he received. Obviously, he was blown away.

I really believe that most everyone on this board could have done the same thing - but we forget that to most of the people we know, it's just plain Greek. He could not stop thanking me and I basically told him I look at this stuff the way I do the NY Times Sunday crossword puzzle - it's a challenge that makes me feel great when I can solve it. Not sure I would have derived any more pleasure if it had been for my own tickets!

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kudos to you for taking the time out to do this for someone! I am still learning the ropes at just collecting points, using them will be a whole other ballgame.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can only add that we should not take this for granted. The current convoluted travel pricing model only works when enough wealthy & business travelers pay full retail for their premium tix, and not use the points.

4. shobiii

shobiii Active Member

Status Points:
    well done! This is what its all about.

Sunshine7 and Travelsavant like this.
  5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome work. Plus, isn't it nice to be considered the family hero??

6. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kudos for helping & posting! You are right that many of us do this & love it as it's like you say, solving a puzzle!

guberif likes this.
  7. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used my UA miles to send my FIL and MIL to his brothers funeral on transcon in F. This saved him roughly $1200 per person (economy fare). Needless to say, they were very grateful. One day I will ask them to kick me out some SPG points ;)

Sunshine7 and SC Flier like this.
  8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Case closed - that makes you the best SIL ever and I'm sure they know it!

SC Flier likes this.