What was the strangest thing you ever did for miles or points?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by wanderwoman, May 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    We've all done something we wouldn't normally do just to get miles or points.

sobore and YULtide like this.
  2. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wish I had a great story, but nothing out of the ordinary here...
    Correction - Wendys Cup Promotion. Anyone recall this one?

3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Posted on Milepoint to get more status points :D

dc_traveler, Stils, skyvan and 10 others like this.
  4. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bought lot of Kellogg's cereal and banana bars back when they had AA miles promotion. The extended family had cereal as a standby for any meal/snack time for quite some time, but the banana bars had a different story. Many got donated, and some got put in the workplace break rooms of different family members for all the coworkers to enjoy with their coffee.

Some banks awarded one UA mile for every dollar's worth of second mortgage you took out. You were not required to keep the loan, just take it and as soon as it hit your bank via electronic transfer, you wired it right back. So, you ended up paying, maybe a day or two's worth of interest on the loan for hundreds of thousands of UA miles. The person who brought this to our attention in the other travel forum netted over 1.5 million UA miles with the repeated seconds on his own house and some rentals. I found out about it close to its tail end and managed to do it twice.

And the wash and rinse of Citi new savings accounts using their CC's for funding. Again, cumulatively hundreds of thousands of AA miles.

Marriott chain once had a promotion in which they awarded bonus points for every stay. I had a 4 night business outing in which I moved back and forth between 2 Marriott properties to make them count as 4 different stays.

And there were several other crazy things that were done to maximize the miles/points from different promotions.

5. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was going to cite the same promotion. I earned over 50K AA miles by purchasing hundreds of boxes of Kellogg's products (mostly cereal), which I donated to the food bank. By using a combination of coupons, sales and rebates, this cost me about $60 -- just over 1/10 of a cent per mile.

Ah, the good old days! :)

6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife is already pretty sure that I'm somewhere between obsessed and crazy. I think if I ever came home with hundreds of boxes of Rice Krispies, she'd seek an intervention!

A number of years ago, an FT member with business in Thailand (I believe) was able to pay Thai nationals to fly on certain routes over and over, day after day and he amassed millions of miles. Wish I could find the thread. In the end, he was held by the authorities who were sure he was running a major league drug operation. Took some convincing to get them to believe it was all for miles!

7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it was CNX <-> CEI which Thai stopped flying, go figure. Though I ponder how cheep that route must have been to make it worthwhile. Even with 500 mile minimums 3.5 CPM would be $15, which was less than a bus cost on that route last winter.

KathInJax and FlyingFree like this.
  8. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ate a Klondike bar.

9. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, when I started filling the garage with boxes of cereal, my husband was dubious, to say the least, but he didn't complain when we used those miles toward flying to Europe in Business!

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Track it Back stickers...

Slow_Mustang, bearcat74 and KathInJax like this.
  11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Indeed, track it back stickers is probably my best story, since I generated 16 million miles with that one.

But the strangest thing was probably a Bosley hair loss consultation...

skyvan, Up&Away, PointHoarder and 7 others like this.
  12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I felt guilty walking in there with a full head of hair. :oops: :p

13. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did that too, and I explained that while I didn't currently have anything to worry about, my uncle has a receding hair line and that that my paternal grandfather also had a receding hairline, so I was worried that perhaps there was something in my genes...

Oh, and do I need to fill out a form for those free miles? :D

But they continue to send me junk mail which has followed me through 4 different residences, and I still open the junk mail in the hopes of finding another "miles-for-baldness-consultation" deal!

Other strange things include Track-it-Back stickers for millions of miles, and getting up at 3:00 am and driving across 2 states to the nearest Chase branch so that I could open checking accounts to get Continental miles.

14. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I rented a car from Hertz for $2 a day on the weekend (Regular rate was $12 but they were offering a $10 a day coupon at the time)Then went back to close the contract everyday and did the whole thing for about 3 months straight. All for 1100 Virgin Atlantic miles per rental.

15. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nice one! Sounds totally worth it, and easier than cutting certificates out of cereal boxes. :)

YULtide and KathInJax like this.
  16. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Was that the one that had people dumpster diving? I remember some kind of drink cup promo where people were grabbing the cups out of the trash to get the little stickers or whatever to send in for miles.

mrredskin, YULtide and KathInJax like this.
  17. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Flying Bat, KathInJax and free101girl like this.
  18. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, different one. Now that I think about it, the one I'm remembering was from a movie theater chain. People were waiting outside the theaters to grab any cups people discarded... and jumping in the dumpsters behind the theaters! It was crazy. Can't remember the airline, though I suspect it was AA. This would have been at least 6 or 8 years back.

19. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Cinemark theatres in summer 2004: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewf...les-for-large-sodas-but-no-miles-for-popcorn/

And then again summer 2006: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2006/07/06/american-miles-for-movie-theatre-sodes/

20. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    We did the Wendy's thing. Here in JAX, if you wanted a refill, they would throw away the cup and give you a new cup. We got them to let us keep the old cup as well as the new cup. Dad's goal was to get 5 cups every day. After about a week, Wendy's figured it out and stopped giving extra cups. However, by this time, we knew all of the employees and the district manager. They knew that we were trying to get enough cups for 10 of us. At one point, one of the employees walked out with a sleeve of cups and handed them to my Dad. We did have friends who worked a semi night shift that did go dumpster diving for those cups.

21. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    just missed that one.

I did the lasik evaluation promo

KathInJax and Flying Bat like this.
  22. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well we've all done these things. Haven't we?

4,500 boxes of dry cat cereal, one of those promos where the points reward was worth more than the purchase price of the full box. One snag. No cat.

bearcat74, KathInJax and PointHoarder like this.
  23. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    And to think people look at me strange when they find out I've applied for 4 credit cards at once or stayed at a hotel I didn't need just to earn 50k points. I'm sending them here so they can see just how "normal" I am!!

MissBurrill, dhammer53, ella and 4 others like this.
  24. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    More for status than for points, but resulted in about 100K AA miles:
    Flew SFO-ORD-SFO eight times in a 10 day period. Resulted in about 90K EQM's and 75K RDM's.
    With the subsequent OWMD a week later, I ended up with 115K EQM's and 100K RDM's
    Not as crazy as the other stories, but my butt was might sore after all that flying!

Flying Bat, KathInJax and free101girl like this.
  25. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once bought a sushi mat for around ten bucks to get nearly 5k miles. The thing is- I don't know how to make sushi. It ended up being a fun gag gift at a Christmas party.