What Was I Thinking? (back in on the credit card bonanza offers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Casey Friday, May 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember way back when, when I got all up in a tizzy over some fees Chase threw at me? Yeah, I have realized the err in my ways. I just got instant approval for the BA 100k Chase card. I just happened to see on Rick's blog that today is the last day to apply, and my miles|points senses started tingling.

Lesson learned: I am addicted to miles, and no matter how upset I get at the little mistakes I make, I will be very much involved in this game for a long time. And for a newbie like me, 100k is a HUGE amount! It's going to take my total up to almost 400k across all programs.

Anyhow, thanks for all the wise words on my last post, and thanks for all the fun in this forum that has irrefragably pulled me back into this game which I love so much.

2. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Force
    Original Member

Force Active Member

Status Points:
    Welcome back!

Casey Friday likes this.
  4. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome back. FYI, the $95 annual fee will post to your first statement. And does not count against the $2500 spend. :(

5. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome back. I respected your previous decision to shy away from this particular mileage method despite thinking you were crazy.

I'm a leisure traveler but I'm terribly addicted to the game. Between my wife and I, I've got a balance somewhere near 3 million. I've been gifting trips to family or redeeming for gift cards where possible since I don't have nearly enough time off to use that many miles before the next devaluation (which is always just around the corner). And still I earn faster than I redeem for considerably low cost.

So I suggest setting yourself a limit. If you've got more miles than you can spend, then it's time to take a breather - but never outright quit! :)

Casey Friday likes this.
  6. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My current goal is to get my wife and I a ride somewhere overseas in F. I read that with the BA card, if you spend 30k in a year, you get a free "travel together" pass, so you can get two award seats for the price of one. 30k is cake with multiple methods, so that would be awesome to use that for our overseas adventure without even touching my current 130k CO stash.

Thanks for the tip about setting a goal. That will surely come in handy!

7. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only problem with this card and the "travel together" award is the taxes. Easily $1200-1400 for two in F TATL. Still a great deal, but ouch!

Andyandy

8. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's no such thing as a free flight. ;) or a free lunch, either.

Casey Friday likes this.
  9. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    TANSTAAFL, indeed. But some "free lunches" are cheaper than others. Witness the late great Venture "Match my Miles" offer.

Andyandy

cptnkirk77 likes this.
  10. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The biggest epiphany I had when first coming into the miles game is that if you are well informed and play the game correctly, the things that most people think are "too good to be true" can actually be...well, true. :)

Casey Friday likes this.
  11. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Once I thought I was out, they pulled me back in ;)

Casey Friday likes this.
  12. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I paid $1600 for 2 Y tickets to LHR almost exactly one year ago, so that still sounds like a good deal to me! Are the taxes cheaper through other airlines? I've read that BA is more expensive because nearly all their flights go through LHR, which has some of the highest taxes there are...

13. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I'm not complaining about 2 F TATL tickets for $1400. Oh wait, I am. Well, I'm not complaining much. :)

You may be able to avoid the taxes by booking with BA miles on a partner airline. The problem is that the 2for1 certificate is only good on BA metal, so you have to go through LHR to get to anywhere in Europe. It's still a great deal, but the taxes are tough.

Andyandy

Casey Friday likes this.
  14. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that BA partner AS collects BA's taxes and fuel surcharges when booking awards through Mileage Plan. Luckily the esquimeaux also sleeps with some of the SkyTeam and those charges aren't as dear on AF.

Casey Friday likes this.
  15. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    For BA, since they have fuel surcharges plus the high luxury taxes on premium departures from LHR, you're left with a choice on the 2-for-1. Either pay the high fees and get a great deal on two premium tickets or redeem elsewhere and pay lower fees but use double the miles for two people to travel.

Note that with the BA 100K: Spending $30K in a calendar year for the 2-for-1 voucher will net you 37.5K miles so your balance will be 137.5K. Obviously enough for BA Club World business class but why not travel even better? You only need 150K for BA First on North America to Europe Zone 1 so pay attention to other methods to acquire BA miles to top you off. (Certain Amex, or shopping mall, or car rental and hotel promos, or credit some domestic AA flights to BA, etc.) Or run another $10K through the card before you redeem the voucher.

jmrich1432 and Casey Friday like this.
  16. xp0
    Original Member

xp0 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is why you and your wife sign up, use the family account, and then you have 237k miles.

17. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is what I and Mrs. akcae did. :D

18. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Although I would not like to pay all the fuel surcharges/fees, paying $1600 for 2 tickets (using the BA companion cert plus miles) in F to Europe is a nice deal. Especially from the West Coast. :)

19. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Nice to get back into the mileage game. Those signup bonuses are quite "juicy". ;) I even got a few people to apply for CC's with "large" bonuses after I told them about my (and spouse's) signup bonuses. :)

20. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I wasn't talking about riding in F for the $1600 pair of tickets - it was a DL flight in coach. Still, if I can ride up front for the same price (or less), I'd be happy to!

You're right, the bonuses are just too "juicy" to avoid, especially if you value travel - which I do!